LCD Monitor problem (pixel jitter *I think*)

garlandb

Aug 10, 2010
My girl purchased this monitor http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236047&Tpk=vw266h at the start of July. For the first few days it seemed to be working but then these dark bars began scrolling vertically up the screen.

I came across this http://www.computing.net/answers/hardware/problem-with-a-tft-lcd-monitor/48853.html which sounds like an identical problem since we are connecting via VGA (analog).

I've tried all the stuff you would expect someone to try. Update the GPU drivers, different cables, different monitor settings, different power source, etc. but to no avail. Thought it might be her laptop but we plugged in a different (albeit smaller) monitor and it worked fine. Then we tried plugging in a different laptop to the problem monitor and the picture was perfect.

So basically there's some strange compatibility issue between the her laptop's VGA output and the monitor. I was hoping someone might have an idea about what else I could try before returning it.

Thanks!

lsv

Golden Member
Dec 18, 2009
RMA the monitor. I know what you mean and had it happen on an older LCD. The monitor is just dying, I don't know what parts or how but my old Acer had it for a long time. I've since upgraded, thank god.

abbadaba

Aug 9, 2010
If the screen works perfectly with a different computer there may not be an issue with the screen.

Sounds like a grounding issue, electrical interference of some sort in your analog signal. I had a similar problem when i used an hdtv as a second monitor, i was able to fix it by grounding a cable wire to my PC case.

Is anything else connected to the monitor? game system or whatever? have you tried using the problem laptop when it is running off battery and not plugged in?

Anyway you can get a digital connection like dvi or hdmi?

garlandb

Aug 10, 2010
Sounds like a grounding issue, electrical interference of some sort in your analog signal. I had a similar problem when i used an hdtv as a second monitor, i was able to fix it by grounding a cable wire to my PC case.

Stopped by my girl's place on my lunch break and it looks like you're right. When the laptop is running on battery power alone the image is perfect. The second you plug it in the strobing vertical lines start up.

Time to look up how to ground a laptop. Any ressources you'd recommend would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!

lsv

Golden Member
Dec 18, 2009
Stopped by my girl's place on my lunch break and it looks like you're right. When the laptop is running on battery power alone the image is perfect. The second you plug it in the strobing vertical lines start up.

Time to look up how to ground a laptop. Any ressources you'd recommend would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!

Strange, I had the same thing with a properly grounded monitor (At least I think :D). Why does it happen on gray sections?

abbadaba

Aug 9, 2010

Thanks so much!

You're welcome, good luck, grounding issues can be tricky to pin down.

The first thing to try is using a different outlet and/or a good powerstrip for the laptops power cord/brick. If you google about it you'll find all sorts of wacky solutions.