Lawn mower mods - possible to convert a regular mower into a mulching mower?

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
I notice that the main difference with push mowers (mulching vs regular) is that the mulching mowers lack an exit chute for the clippings, thus confining them for further slicing and mauling.

My riding mower has a chute out the back, which leaves big clumps of clippings all over the lawn. I don't want to use a bag or sweeper, not only since there's no means to attach one, but also because the lawn then would lose the nutrients from the decaying clippings, and require fertilizer. So I'm pondering converting the mower. What I envision:
Welding a sheet of metal to the gap in the mowing deck, where the clippings would normally exit. This should contain the clippings and allow them to be more finely chopped.
Is this a horribly bad idea that will surely result in the destruction of the neighborhood? Or might it actually work?

Sundog

Lifer
Nov 20, 2000
You can get a different blade and also if you are getting clumps on the ground you are waiting until the grass is too high or the grass is very wet.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Sundog
You can get a different blade and also if you are getting clumps on the ground you are waiting until the grass is too high or the grass is very wet.

I don't feel like mowing every 4 days. :)
Our lawn too is more weeds than grass, so it grows quickly. And the fact that we've been getting a lot of rain here doesn't help. But this has been a problem other years as well.

So the mulching blades - I don't know much about them; should they do an adequate job of slicing everything before it's ejected out the back?

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Jeff7
Originally posted by: Sundog

I don't feel like mowing every 4 days. :)
Our lawn too is more weeds than grass, so it grows quickly. And the fact that we've been getting a lot of rain here doesn't help. But this has been a problem other years as well.

So the mulching blades - I don't know much about them; should they do an adequate job of slicing everything before it's ejected out the back?
That's all that you need to do is replace the blade. It is the blade that does it.

It is still going to eject the grass if there is an exit schute, though. It will just be smaller particles.

fredtam

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
My mower is set up for both. If you use the mulching blades you should cover the chute. I wouldn't weld it. I'd just make a bolt on cover.

PTCvette

Banned
Sep 26, 2002
I don't know about yours, but my mower is set up to do both... It has a flap on the side, and the chute in the back. If you wanna bag, the flap on the side is spring loaded, so it just bags normally. When you want to mulch there's a big plastic thing that jams the chute in back, and a bit that holds the flap open on the side. I haven't ever tried mulching, so I can only assume that it works ok. Seems like you could just jam up the chute in back with something and then have at it with some mulching blades :)

Jeff

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: bleeb
Dude, just cut the grass more often and that will be effective enough.

I'm afraid I'm not one of those people who mows obsessively. I try to mow a bit before the grass begins to grow enough to form conscious thought, or at least close to that. It usually is mowed on 2 week intervals, sometimes a bit sooner. It's a fairly big, uneven yard, with trees growing around it. Mowing is usually an unpleasant 3-4 hour job. I'm just hoping to make it a little less unpleasant. :)
And I want an excuse to try welding something. :D

I'll look for mulching blades though; if they don't work, I might need to get myself a propane torch.

Or the bolt-on solution would also be an idea. Much easier to do too.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Oh, and you can just double cut everything to knock all of the clippings down. And don't do it when it's wet.