Lawn Darts... Anyone play this "Death" game when you were young?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LostHiWay

Golden Member
Apr 22, 2001
A kid I went to school with actually had one of his eyes taken out with a lawn dart thrown by his sister. I think it was when he was in 1st grade or so which was like 15 years ago.

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
"You still got that BB in your hand?"

hahaha

It is a shame that we live in a society so overly safety conscious. I am a helmet proponent though. I knew a girl whose sister was killed in a bike crash that she probably would have survived had she been wearing a helmet. I also wear one when I'm kayak surfing.

Ironically, I've only received one head injury in my 4 years of kayak surfing.
And I was wearing my helmet.
I hit my head on the side of the boat (I think it was the side of the boat, but it's hard to keep track when you're rolling end-over-end backwards on a 10 foot breaker), and it hit just BELOW where my helmet stops.

Ah well :) The black eye is gone, but I still have a scar. It was just a few months ago :)

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Fausto1
Originally posted by: ObiDon
Actually, I'm pleased to see so many kids wearing helmets while riding bikes these days.
I think here in Oregon, it's not just responsible...it's The Law! ;)

It's officially a law here in GA as well if you're under 16. Mostly to give parents leverage to make the kids wear the helmets.

It's not to give leverage to anyone but a small group of nannie-state supporters.

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Originally posted by: CPA
Actually, I'm pleased to see so many kids wearing helmets while riding bikes these days.

It's officially a law here in GA as well if you're under 16. Mostly to give parents leverage to make the kids wear the helmets.

It's not to give leverage to anyone but a small group of nannie-state supporters.
These are bicycle helmets dumbass. For kids. Kids fall down a lot. Brain damage is bad. Helmets prevent this. What adults want to do on motorcycles is thier own business. Read the damn thread before you start bitching about nothing next time.

EDIT for clarification- the GA kiddie helmet law is essentially without penalty. It's just there so parents can say "You have to wear your helmet, it's the law." to their stubborn kids.

From the CDC website:

Factors

Age is a factor for bicycle-related injuries and deaths:

Rate of injury is highest for children aged 5-15 years
Rate of death is highest for children aged 10-14 years

Gender is a factor for bicycle-related injuries and deaths:

Males are 2.4 times more likely to be killed per bicycle trip.
Helmet use is a factor. Universal helmet use could:

Save one life each day
Prevent one head injury every 4 minutes

Sources: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
US Consumer Products Safety Committee (CPSC)
Johns Hopkins Injury Prevention Center

Helmet Use
? Helmets decrease the risk of head injuries by 85 %. (Rivara, 1997.)
? Only about 18% of cyclists in the US use helmets all or most of the time (Rodgers, 1995.)
? Universal helmet use could prevent an average of 500 bicycle-related deaths each year (Sacks, 1991.)

Vadatajs

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2001
Yup, those were great. BB gun wars were fun too, just make sure you wear safety goggles.

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000

These are bicycle helmets dumbass. For kids. Kids fall down a lot. Brain damage is bad. Helmets prevent this. What adults want to do on motorcycles is thier own business. Read the damn thread before you start bitching about nothing next time.

Helmets are required in motorcycles for everyone in Oregon, too.

nik

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Originally posted by: ffmcobalt

Helmets are required in motorcycles for everyone in Oregon, too.

nik
As they are in GA. But that wasn't what I was talking about. Bicycle helmets for kids and moto helmets for adults are different issues. Not only is a kid not cogniscent of the potential to become a vegetable if they smack their head hard enough, they also have a propensity to fall down and smack their heads (see stats above). I always wear one because I don't think the extra comfort of not wearing one is worth potentially getting my head mashed and either widowing my wife of leaving her married to a turnip. I can make this decision or not as I am an adult.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
WONT SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!?!?!?

So nannystate laws are okie dokie if they apply to your kids?

What kind of pathetic parent needs a "law" to make their kids do something? When I was a kid, the cops didn't scare me... my dad did.

A nanny state law is a nanny state law. It matters not whether it applies to kids or adults... it's the government telling us what is best for us, and enforcing it.

Orwell almost had it right. But it's "Big Mother" we need to look out for, not Big Brother.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001

Fausto1, why don't you try to have an intelligent conversation without resorting to name-calling.

I read the thread. I know the issue. I have 4 kids, 2 of which ride bikes and one which will start soon. I don't care what the CDC says or the government for that matter. The point is I don't need someone else mandating how I raise my children. I don't need you or anyone else to tell me what is good or bad for my children. If we made laws for everything the CDC studies or recommends we would live in a friggin bubble.

When I was in 9th grade, I was sitting on a bench in a locker room. The bench somehow fell over causing me to whack me head against a concrete wall. I almost blacked out and it hurt like hell. Should I have been wearing a helmet, should the walls be padded?

Now let's see if you can respond with a mature post.

BooneRebel

Platinum Member
Mar 22, 2001
This just in: State legislators have suggested that all 9th graders be issued helmets before entering the padded lockerroom. A 2/3 majority vote carried the motion and it will be added to the ballot during the next election.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: BooneRebel
This just in: State legislators have suggested that all 9th graders be issued helmets before entering the padded lockerroom. A 2/3 majority vote carried the motion and it will be added to the ballot during the next election.

lol, don't put it past some of these politicians though.

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000

Fausto1, why don't you try to have an intelligent conversation without resorting to name-calling.

I read the thread. I know the issue. I have 4 kids, 2 of which ride bikes and one which will start soon. I don't care what the CDC says or the government for that matter. The point is I don't need someone else mandating how I raise my children. I don't need you or anyone else to tell me what is good or bad for my children. If we made laws for everything the CDC studies or recommends we would live in a friggin bubble.

When I was in 9th grade, I was sitting on a bench in a locker room. The bench somehow fell over causing me to whack me head against a concrete wall. I almost blacked out and it hurt like hell. Should I have been wearing a helmet, should the walls be padded?

Now let's see if you can respond with a mature post.
First: I apologise for calling you a dumbass. It just irked me that you started in with the nanny-state thing in the middle of what was an otherwise lighthearted thread. We were all having a good chuckle about the stupid stuff we did as kids and you just tossed in that one inflammatory line and left it.

Anywho: my point is that not only are kids not equipped to make decisions of this nature, often their parents are ignorant of the facts as well. Kids on bikes need to wear helmets, end of story. If it takes a law with no more teeth than the paper it's printed on to spur parents to put helmets on their kids or at least be aware of the stats regarding those under 14ish and bicycle-related injuries, then so be it. I'm on the fence as far as adults and motorcycle helmet laws (the main source of your ire as far as I can tell). On the one hand, there are good pro-helmet arguments regarding cost to society for health care of those with head injuries thanks to a lack of helmet, but on the other hand, unless someone in a car runs them over (often the case) an experienced adult motorcycle rider will rarely manage to toss themselves down the road so they can leave the helmet at home if they so desire. The difference with kids is that they don't generally need help bouncing themselves off the ground (as I'm sure you well know) so it just makes sense to make sure there's a helmet on their head one way or another. No one's parents are being fined or hauled off for violating these law, they're really just there for the benefit of the kids on the bikes....whether they know it or not. Extrapolating that to all the nanny-state raving is a bit of a reach, IMO.

Obviously not, but the odds of a bench randomly falling over is extremely slim. The odds of a kid falling off his bike and banging his head on the ground are pretty high so that's not really a good example.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Alright, back to lawn darts, which I'm sure I was better at than most of you.

What about Mumbly Peg: hold the point of your folding knife(which every one carried including to school) between the first fingers of your hands with one finger against different parts of your body and then flip it into the ground and make it stick. First one to complete all the different moves had to then stick the knife in the ground and hit with your hand and sending it flying and if you could get it to stick some 10 to 30 feet away you were declared the winner.

Ahh, the early sixties.

FrancesBeansRevenge

Platinum Member
Jun 6, 2001
The bottle rocket and roman candle fights were the best.
Nothing says a good time like 10 teen-agers, a couple cases of beer, a graveyard, and a massive supply of roman candles.
Many a good t-shirt fell victim to those wars. :)

Jmmsbnd007

Diamond Member
May 29, 2002
Originally posted by: Rallispec
Originally posted by: Lonyo
I did a ring of fire once around someone with some lighter fluid. (it was indoors tho, so no grass was harmed).
BB guns rock, never fired one at a person before though.

its all fun and games until somebody gets a BB in the ear.
...and then it's just fun! :D