law of attraction

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
I felt like a self help douche buying this book, but I need some positive changes in my life so i figured I'd give the 150 page book a spin.

The thing makes so much sense, and it feels like it should be common sense. Sad thing is, only a small fraction of the logic in the book actually crossed my mind when I would speak or deal with other people.

Like the fact that if you say to someone "don't do something" you just put the "something" in their mind. SO rather than saying "don't slam the door" say "please close the door softly". Basically, any time you tell someone not to do something, it sound negative, because "don't" puts off a negative vibe and adds a negative tone to the sentence, all while still injecting the thought of what you dont want them to do into their mind.

A quote in the book says it like this "WHen you go from what you don't want to what you DO want, the words change. And when the words change, the vibe of the communication changes, and the vibe can only be dominantly positive or dominantly negative."

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Ugh, not this again.

Yeah, think good thoughts and good things will happen; bad thoughts are the reason bad things happen. Those morons in Darfur brought that misery on themselves for thinking bad things will happen to them. If only they knew that thinking and doing good were the answer, they'd be out of the woods in no time.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Jeff7
Ugh, not this again.

Yeah, think good thoughts and good things will happen; bad thoughts are the reason bad things happen. Those morons in Darfur brought that misery on themselves for thinking bad things will happen to them. If only they knew that thinking and doing good were the answer, they'd be out of the woods in no time.

If you'd take the time to think about it, it does make sense.

I'd rather be happy and positive than pissy and negative anyway.. :p

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
the logic does work... i've been doing tests with how people respond to things and I can see the logic working..

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
those books are only good for attracting your money to their pockets.

Duddy

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2002
Originally posted by: TechBoyJK
I felt like a self help douche buying this book, but I need some positive changes in my life so i figured I'd give the 150 page book a spin.

The thing makes so much sense, and it feels like it should be common sense. Sad thing is, only a small fraction of the logic in the book actually crossed my mind when I would speak or deal with other people.

Like the fact that if you say to someone "don't do something" you just put the "something" in their mind. SO rather than saying "don't slam the door" say "please close the door softly". Basically, any time you tell someone not to do something, it sound negative, because "don't" puts off a negative vibe and adds a negative tone to the sentence, all while still injecting the thought of what you dont want them to do into their mind.

A quote in the book says it like this "WHen you go from what you don't want to what you DO want, the words change. And when the words change, the vibe of the communication changes, and the vibe can only be dominantly positive or dominantly negative."

Dude, if you want a really good read about the Law of Attraction, read The Secret. It changed my life for the better, and I'm not easily swayed.

Or you can watch it.

Side Note: My post count is now BOOB

homercles337

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
the logic does work... i've been doing tests with how people respond to things and I can see the logic working..

"The logic" fails every single scientific test ever put to it. But, if you like anecdotal approaches have at it.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Iron Woode
those books are only good for attracting your money to their pockets.
Indeed. The secret to happiness, or at least money:
Selling books to people who need a book to tell them how to be happy.
:confused:

It's a hell of a good racket to get into.
It's along the same line as the Chicken Droppings for the Soul books. Why should anyone need to buy more than one? Doesn't one bring the happiness you are seeking, or do you need a regular dosing to maintain the high?

My theory:
If you do nice things for people, they'll tend to think well of you, and are thus more likely to be nice in return. But it's just probability. You're still going to have bad things happen to you, no matter how positive you think. The Dalai Lama is probably a quite content, happy person, yet he lives in exile, and his country cannot have the freedom it wants. Mahatma Gandhi, a man who taught peace and nonviolence, was assassinated. To this day, we still regularly engage in violent conflict. Martin Luther King Jr, who taught tolerance, equality, and acceptance, was also assassinated. Again, to this day, we still have problems with race and gender equality.

Think good all you want, but it's not going to magically ward off all the bad things.

Duddy

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2002
You guys miss the point.

These books do one great thing, they give you a new perpective. New perpectives are basically a mind refresh. Mind refreshes make you feel better.

Regardless if they are trying to make money or not, they achieve their goal.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Duddy
You guys miss the point.

These books do one great thing, they give you a new perpective. New perpectives are basically a mind refresh. Mind refreshes make you feel better.

exactly.. the book was only $10. And I'm better off having read it.

homercles337

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
You guys miss the point.

No, you miss the point. Humans are creatures of habit. TeckBoyJK will do his "think positive thoughts" routine for a week, then put the book down. A few days later he is going to be just like he was. Then he will wonder, "what happened to all my positive thoughts?" Then he will go out and by book #2 from the "stupid, anecdotal, self-help, life changing" shelf at the book store. Wash, rinse, repeat. If he likes that, so be it.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Originally posted by: homercles337
You guys miss the point.

No, you miss the point. Humans are creatures of habit. JerkBoyJK will do his "think positive thoughts" routine for a week, then put the book down. A few days later he is going to be just like he was. Then he will wonder, "what happened to all my positive thoughts?" Then he will go out and by book #2 from the "stupid, anecdotal, self-help, life changing" shelf at the book store. Wash, rinse, repeat. If he likes that, so be it.

oh wow... jerkboy? thanks..

homercles337

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
You guys miss the point.

No, you miss the point. Humans are creatures of habit. JerkBoyJK will do his "think positive thoughts" routine for a week, then put the book down. A few days later he is going to be just like he was. Then he will wonder, "what happened to all my positive thoughts?" Then he will go out and by book #2 from the "stupid, anecdotal, self-help, life changing" shelf at the book store. Wash, rinse, repeat. If he likes that, so be it.

Ooops, oh shit, that was not intentional. I would edit but you quoted. Apologies.

thecrecarc

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2004
You guys miss the point.

Ooops, oh shit, that was not intentional. I would edit but you quoted. Apologies.

lol, one hell of a typo

Duddy

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2002
You guys miss the point.

Your avatar sure could use a self help book. Irony at it's finest.

homercles337

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
Originally posted by: thecrecarc
You guys miss the point.

lol, one hell of a typo

Hey! Shush you. There IS a jerkyboy here (or at my other common forum), im sure. And i have tired eyes. So shut it. :|

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Originally posted by: AnonymouseUser
What's the congenially correct way to say "Don't start threads like this"?

Please start threads like "x"

where X would be what you want.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Originally posted by: thecrecarc
You guys miss the point.

lol, one hell of a typo

Yeah - especially considering that the capitalization is in the proper place, and the 'JK' is at the end as well... :p

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005

"The logic" fails every single scientific test ever put to it. But, if you like anecdotal approaches have at it.

You missed his point. He's not saying there's any mystical "method" for getting things done, he's saying that it teaches you different tactics to do the things you commonly do.

Take a salesman for instance. A persuasive salesman will be much more likely to sell you something than a non-persuasive salesman. Or take a politician- a skilled negotiator will drive a better bargain than someone who doesn't have that ability.

It's the way you word things and work people that makes the difference.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: 91TTZ
You missed his point. He's not saying there's any mystical "method" for getting things done, he's saying that it teaches you different tactics to do the things you commonly do.

Take a salesman for instance. A persuasive salesman will be much more likely to sell you something than a non-persuasive salesman. Or take a politician- a skilled negotiator will drive a better bargain than someone who doesn't have that ability.

And people need to pay $10 to learn this lesson in common sense?

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Jeff7
Originally posted by: 91TTZ

And people need to pay $10 to learn this lesson in common sense?

Unfortunately, most people don't have common sense...

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
I downloaded the audio version of The Secret.

It does make sense and it does work... but they take it too far.

Yeah, of course if you constantly think about something, you will probably obtain it (within reason).

The Secret talks too much about possessions and money though.
The "real life examples" seemed too much like one of those infomercials about working from home, on at 3am.

reitz

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
You guys miss the point.

This.

I've never heard of this book before, but if it gives the OP a new perspective on things and a few simple tricks to use, then I'd say it was $10 well spent. How many of you naysayers are so happy and comfortable in your lives that you have nothing left to learn?

"Common" sense is anything but. The things you take for granted may simply never have occured to another person, and I'd bet my next paycheck that person could still teach you a thing or two about life.