Lava's new toy

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
Price did include the ek block. The LG widescreen is a 34UM95.

Power consumption wise, The highest (I have seen) my UPS has said is about 565 watts or so. I haven't been monitoring it like crazy but I would imgine the average is a bit under 500 watts total system watts.

I am working on a small benching session between the 2 cards but's kind of tough cause I work and have 2 young kids. I won't leave you guys hanging though

Are you using custom water cooling with it (EK block) or are you using the standard heatsink?

As to work and children, I perfectly understand! Mine are all now grown but 5 grandchildren, 3 and younger sure makes our house "interesting" when they get together. BTW, thank you for sharing the info on the Titan Z. The closest I will ever get to one is your review.;)

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
Saw your reason why you don't custom watercool the gpus. Makes perfect sense ( and cents! Or dollars$$$)

dougp

Diamond Member
May 3, 2002
I had this card on WC and never went over 55C on the GPUs. When I switched it to air due to weight and it not connecting to my motherboard, it maxed over 80C easily and increased the temperature in my room quite a noticeable amount.

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
If the original Titan with DP was a G, i dont think 1.5G for a double Titan is too much to ask.
It must be quite beastly in CUDA, can you SLI cards for CUDA?
Wasnt the double Hawaei 1.5G or there abouts?

x3sphere

Jul 22, 2009
www.exophase.com
If the original Titan with DP was a G, i dont think 1.5G for a double Titan is too much to ask.

Usually with CUDA tasks you are only limited to how many GPUs your board can support. If I needed a machine for CUDA though I'd just go with the original Titans, they are going for $500-600 on eBay.

$1500 at launch would have been fair, but now that looks overpriced after the recent 9xx series launch.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003

It doesn't matter that 295X2 cost $1.5K at launch now because 295X2 sells for $999 today. 295X2 beats it in nearly every metric for $500 less. You have to overclock the Titan Z to match or beat the 295X2. The problem is Titan Z at stock fan curve overheats over long time gaming sessions with clock speeds dropping to low 700s. Thus for the Titan Z to be competitive, it will need to be overclocked and that means much higher noise levels vs. the $500 less expensive 295X2.

Last edited:

KompuKare

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2009
Congrats to Lava, but in general these kind of card are way above what I would feel comfortable paying for a graphic card. Just wanted to pick on this:

I had this card on WC and never went over 55C on the GPUs. When I switched it to air due to weight and it not connecting to my motherboard, it maxed over 80C easily and increased the temperature in my room quite a noticeable amount.

Unless the card was a lot more efficient at the lower temps which WC gave you, I don't see how this could be the case. Because if the Titan Z on air draws 363W or 464W (hardware.fr figures at default or using 'uber' mode (which I assume is a max power setting)), that heat has to go somewhere. Whether the GPU core reaches 55°C or 80°C shouldn't make any real difference. That is, a hypothetical 2000W fan type heater which heats air to 40°C or a oil-filed radiator whose body heats up to 80°C will both eventually heat a room to the same temperature.

dougp

Diamond Member
May 3, 2002
Congrats to Lava, but in general these kind of card are way above what I would feel comfortable paying for a graphic card. Just wanted to pick on this:

Unless the card was a lot more efficient at the lower temps which WC gave you, I don't see how this could be the case. Because if the Titan Z on air draws 363W or 464W (hardware.fr figures at default or using 'uber' mode (which I assume is a max power setting)), that heat has to go somewhere. Whether the GPU core reaches 55°C or 80°C shouldn't make any real difference. That is, a hypothetical 2000W fan type heater which heats air to 40°C or a oil-filed radiator whose body heats up to 80°C will both eventually heat a room to the same temperature.

Don't get me wrong, regardless, my room heated up - but the efficiency of water on the board really helped it stay a lot cooler. This goes for any video card and watercooling, period. Generally, your video card is using ambient case air to cool, so that changes how effective it is.

KompuKare

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2009
Don't get me wrong, regardless, my room heated up - but the efficiency of water on the board really helped it stay a lot cooler. This goes for any video card and watercooling, period. Generally, your video card is using ambient case air to cool, so that changes how effective it is.

Hey, hard to dismiss personal experience so I wasn't knocking it!

For the pedantic who want the scientific results, you would have had to keep your room's ambient constant though. The fact that silicon chips use less power if cooler should, of course, be well known by all AT forum readers at this stage after Idontcare's excellent threads on the subject.

Still, since there was so much talk about the original 290X where people equated high core temps with extra heating even though 780Ti output nearly the same wattage. It seems that some people think that the heat goes elsewhere. Or more more generally, there are some people who think that computers actually do some work which does not turn into waste heat.

ocre

Golden Member
Dec 26, 2008
The 94c blowing on your feet (or face) would feel much warmer than 80c.

Its that simple