Latest V5500 drivers

Schott

Dec 11, 2002
What are the best drivers to use with a v5500 card? Did an os reinstall (win98) the other day, and have now been having
trouble with my desktop booting in 640x480 mode on random occasion. Requires a reset (sometimes multiple) to change.
Am thinking that I need to change drivers.

Am also comtemplating moving to win2000. Anyone suggest not...

:confused:

Dec 16, 2002
I used the x3dfx drivers in windows 98 se they ran perfectly, well almost. Just turn Gemoetry assist off and keep the HSR to non-aggressive tilling (you'll know what I'm talking about once you download them) and their should be no problems. Hopefully, you can still find them at www.voodoofiles.com .
In fact, you should try and see for yourself which driver suits you best. I used this one as it was most stable for me and had problems when I updated to a different one.
Regarding win2k, I have never used it but I have always heard people say that their are issues in that OS if you are gamer with both sound and video. Maybe things have changed. But with a V 5 5500, I would suggest you stick to win 98 SE.

rogue1979

Diamond Member
Mar 14, 2001
I recently switched to Win2K form Win98SE. I haven't really noticed a difference, but I was suprised by Win2K compatibility, everything works fine. Make sure you have some 3dfx tools intalled and use the Beta8 6000 drivers. Also make sure you know how to set up the 22-bit hack. I would stick with Win98 for a Voodoo 5 5500.

There is a V5 tweaking guide out there somewhere at one of the video websites.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Schott
What are the best drivers to use with a v5500 card? Did an os reinstall (win98) the other day, and have now been having
trouble with my desktop booting in 640x480 mode on random occasion. Requires a reset (sometimes multiple) to change.
Am thinking that I need to change drivers.

Am also comtemplating moving to win2000. Anyone suggest not...

:confused:

I've been using the most recent x3dfx drivers in my sister's system with my old V5, works fine.