Late to the party but wow, STALKER is fun!

Andy22

Golden Member
Jun 8, 2001
Started STALKER this weekend and love the game. I always tend to be a bit behind the times when it comes to great games.

I have been barreling forward and have now found myself loaded to the hilt with weapons that need to be sold and am seriously low on ammo for automatic weapons but I am a LONG way from where I started. Is there any place coming up to unload and resupply some ammo?

Also, I am at the part where you need to find the stash. I have cleared out the compound, the underground tunnels and the area just outside but can not find the stash that was hidden. I see the purple markers but none revealed the stash so I wasn't sure if I missed something. Gentle nug would be appreciated it!

LightningRider

Feb 16, 2007
You missed something. In the underground there are two long corridors if you remember correctly with green acid on the sides of some parts. In one of them, there's a hole you can jump into on the side and climb up a ladder. Up there is the stash, a Fast Firing AK74 (unique weapon and a must have) and some good body armor. Also as for running out of bullets. I would suggest you lose the cheap pistol ammo and only start taking better stuff now. Load up on the AK74 ammo for now. Always check the bodies of the people you kill and also if you pick up their guns and then go to your inventory. You can often right click the gun you just picked up and say Unload. You don't always get this option (sometimes the guns are empty) but when you do you usually get an extra 20 or so bullets.

And yea... I love STALKER. :D

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
I actually recently got a copy of STALKER, but have yet to start playing it.

Andy22

Golden Member
Jun 8, 2001
Originally posted by: LightningRider
You missed something. In the underground there are two long corridors if you remember correctly with green acid on the sides of some parts. In one of them, there's a hole you can jump into on the side and climb up a ladder. Up there is the stash, a Fast Firing AK74 (unique weapon and a must have) and some good body armor. Also as for running out of bullets. I would suggest you lose the cheap pistol ammo and only start taking better stuff now. Load up on the AK74 ammo for now. Always check the bodies of the people you kill and also if you pick up their guns and then go to your inventory. You can often right click the gun you just picked up and say Unload. You don't always get this option (sometimes the guns are empty) but when you do you usually get an extra 20 or so bullets.

Nice...thanks for the tip and the nudge :)

xSkyDrAx

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
You can sell guns at the original place or the place called The Bar. The Bar is probably the best place to do this because it's practically at the center of the map though I think you have a little bit more to go to reach there. If you're getting burdened with too much loot there's a cheap trick you can do as long as you have patience. Just take a corpse of anything and stuff it with whatever you pick up. This way you can pick up anything without having to be over encumbered. A useful trick for later on when everyone starts dropping nice guns.

Peelback79

Oct 26, 2007
As mentioned above, ditch the pistols and their ammo. Sitck with the 7.62x39mm guns (AK-47s). For the most part, their the most common in the stage where you're at and the m-4/bullpup variants to be found are kinda weaksauce (except for the sniper one, but good luck finding ammo). Use the rapidfire variant you find and it will be about the best thing going once you get a scope on it.

Stoneburner

Diamond Member
May 29, 2003
I stopped playing because I modded the game to allow more items to be carried but it wouldn't save and i was led to believe I had to reinstall even though I'm halfway through the game but I refuse to restart everything because the early going was a pain in the ass like my run-on sentence here. Fun while it lasted though :)

mundane

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2002
Played the game, thought it was good. Almost done with Roadside Picnic, and am looking forward to playing through again w/ a new video card and mods.

JPB

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2005
Originally posted by: Stoneburner
I stopped playing because I modded the game to allow more items to be carried but it wouldn't save and i was led to believe I had to reinstall even though I'm halfway through the game but I refuse to restart everything because the early going was a pain in the ass like my run-on sentence here. Fun while it lasted though :)

This is the definition of Zero Punctuation ;)

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Great to see another STALKER fan around. If you want a brand new experienced after you finish the vanilla version I would highly recommend the AMK Mod. That mod allows many things that were first planned by the developers but cut during development for God knows what reasons. The NPC's have a brand new communication network, giving news about what is going on around the Zone, from the mere sighting of a specific mutant to an important firefight between clans or one of them asking for help thanks to the presence of a Pseudogiant in Cordon. Also the NPC's will actually loot the fallen Stalkers and may eventually give a network message about them willing to sell one or more items that they've found.

Additionally AMK removes the territorial restrictions for all of the game's mutants (except the ones for missions, from what I know), which in effect turns the Zone into a really dangerous place, much so than the vanilla version could ever hope to be. There are now Blowouts too, some of them are predicted by the Stalkers (such as one of them might send a message one day in advance through the network and give a warning such as "mutant activity increasing, possibility of a Blowout tomorrow"). The Blowouts entirely re-arrange the locations and types of Anomalies (not to mention it also spawns new mutants), for example you could see an electrical anomaly right from the beginning of the game outside of Sidorovich's bunker, it's entirely dynamic. Another thing is that most NPC's will adapt to the newly spawning anomalies and will try to avoid them, and those who are not equipped with detectors might get caught in one of them.

Another feature is that Stalkers and Military alike will now throw grenades, and they don't have an infinite amount of them. And many... many other features (such as new music played by Stalkers around camp fires). The list goes on and on, that mod for me is a must have. It just shows what the X-Ray engine is really capable of and its shows that the original plans of the developers were not lies like some people believed when that game was still considered a Vaporware. With that said the AMK Mod was originally made in Russian and only recently has been translated in English (for example the communication network messages were originally all in Russian, but are now very well translated in English, there's no translations from Google in there, it's all done by active community members). Hope you enjoy your smooth ride in the Zone (smooth with the vanilla version that is).

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Stalker is a game I put to one side because of all the bugs it had at launch.
Now though its pretty damn good with all the patches applied.
I'm actually working on a mod to make the AI even more intelligent than AMK.

I've got some AI routines written in Lua by a friend who worked at darpa.
Should be interesting if I can get it all implemented.
Current problem is not taxing the cpu.

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
I started playing the other night and forgot to save it manually, so I died and had to start back at the beginning. Sigh.

Oh, and whats with the wacked out dialog? Any mod that'll fix it?

"SEE YA!"

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Don't worry, I haven't even played this one yet :p You're not that far behind.

I plan to install it one of these weekends, just never seem to have the time. Too much screwing around on ATOT...

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Originally posted by: LightningRider

I missed that my first time through too. I kept running on and above the tunnels, even cleared out the entire base, ran through the tunnels for a few more hours, then finally found that hole.

Still love the game though, and can't wait until Clear Sky comes out.

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000
Originally posted by: xSkyDrAx
If you're getting burdened with too much loot there's a cheap trick you can do as long as you have patience. Just take a corpse of anything and stuff it with whatever you pick up. This way you can pick up anything without having to be over encumbered. A useful trick for later on when everyone starts dropping nice guns.
There are also many trunks placed in obvious locations such as near campfires and such specifically for storing whatever you don't want to carry, and those don't eventually disappear like the corpses do.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
If you're raising the carrying limit then you're probably hoarding far too much anyway. You don't need 50 medkits. You don't need 30 anti-rads. You don?t need 20 el-cheapo artifacts.

I carried two assault rifle/sniper rifle weapons, at least 1000 rounds of ammo in total, a spare suit of armor if required and numerous artifacts and I didn't have any trouble getting so much gold that I didn't know what do with it.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Anyone have a link to the English AMK mod? Google has revealed little but other forum posts about AMK, and I'm looking to do another STALKER playthrough.

Sylvanas

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2004
Originally posted by: TheVrolok
Anyone have a link to the English AMK mod? Google has revealed little but other forum posts about AMK, and I'm looking to do another STALKER playthrough.

The GSC Gameworld stalker mod discussion forum does not allow linking but the latest version to my understanding is on page 290 of that thread. Last I heard was that AMK is due to be released as a 'final' EN version pretty soon but the latest linked in that thread seems pretty good anyway.

Good to see more people playing Stalker- excellent game.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
AMK MOD 1.4.0.22 with AMK-EN 2.0 FINAL RELEASE
http://www.mediafire.com/?pwjocxs0gka

===================================

PATCH 2.0.94 for AMK-ENG FINAL SETUP
http://www.mediafire.com/?jlyhnu9ygmy

The "patch", the second link, only consists of the files to update the latest English revision, nothing "major" in the patch, just the translations being updated, but still recommended of course. Also note that I believe that the file from the second link has to be renamned so its name ends with either .ZIP or .RAR, because I think it's still just a raw file as of now, although it might have changed, but just in case when it finishes downloading just rename its format to either of those two and it should work fine to extract the contents.

EDIT: About the second link, the file's format must be renamed with .EXE this time around I believe they've changed it over time.

EDIT II: Well, it looks like that patch is actually just newer than the one I got before, it contains many new files compared to the previous patch I had download (which had to be renamed to either .RAR or .ZIP). This time it's obviously larger, and it has new weapons textures as well new creatures scripts revisions. I'm going to install it for my own AMK installation then, thanks to this thread or else I wouldn't have known about that newer version until some time since I rarely browse the official GSC forums lately.

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Zenoth

The "patch", the second link, only consists of the files to update the latest English revision, nothing "major" in the patch, just the translations being updated, but still recommended of course. Also note that I believe that the file from the second link has to be renamned so its name ends with either .ZIP or .RAR, because I think it's still just a raw file as of now, although it might have changed, but just in case when it finishes downloading just rename its format to either of those two and it should work fine to extract the contents.

EDIT: About the second link, the file's format must be renamed with .EXE this time around I believe they've changed it over time.

EDIT II: Well, it looks like that patch is actually just newer than the one I got before, it contains many new files compared to the previous patch I had download (which had to be renamed to either .RAR or .ZIP). This time it's obviously larger, and it has new weapons textures as well new creatures scripts revisions. I'm going to install it for my own AMK installation then, thanks to this thread or else I wouldn't have known about that newer version until some time since I rarely browse the official GSC forums lately.

Forgive me, but which should I download then? Both? Just the second link here?

edit: I just downloaded "AMK MOD 1.4.0.22 with AMK-EN 2.0 FINAL RELEASE " and it looks like it wants STALKER version 1.0004, not what I have, 1.0006.

Icepick

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2004
Originally posted by: Zenoth

Is there a version of the AMK mod that is compatible with Vista 64? I received an error message stating that this is not compatible with my version of Windows when I attempted to install it.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Yeah I should have said that earlier, AMK Mod requires version 1.0004. And the reason for that is simple, it's because any patches after 1.0004 don't provide anything beneficial/substantial to the single-player mode of the game, and knowing that the multi-player mode is barely played by STALKER fans most of the modding community (not all, but most) don't want to bother loosing time to make their mods compatible with newer versions.

A very good mod that supports 1.0005/1.0006 I believe is Oblivion Lost. As for Vista 64 Bit I don't see why AMK Mod wouldn't work with it, that's probably because your game version is higher than 1.0004. And, finally, yes you need to download both files, from both links. The first link is the base installation and the second link is the patch, so obviously install the patch last.