LastPass taking the greedy path.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Effective in March, the free version of LastPass will be limited to a single type of platform. If you have it on desktops and mobile devices, you will have to choose which platform will continue use LastPass, as it will no longer function on the other.

So which password manager will you be switching to? I'm still in the process of checking out alternatives.

If you don't use LastPass, which do your use, and what does it provide that you like?

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
I use Dashlane. Working great so far. Lastpass has a better UI. I find Dashlane's auto-login feature works better.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I wanted something web based but not cloud based, and could not find much so I ended up just writing my own years back that runs on a local web server. Don't need to worry about anyone making arbitrary changes or losing access etc. It's just in a mysql database so it gets backed up as part of my regular server backup routine. Probably not the most secure thing in the world since my password is all you need to decrypt it, but if someone manages to break into my network I probably have bigger things to worry about.

Reactions: Pohemi

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
I've only used keepass as it's free and open source. https://keepass.info/
I also use keepass, so versatile. I use it to keep all software keys, device models/serials, of everything from guns to vehicles, to electronics, to power tools. I periodically backed up LastPass exports to Keepass, and will do the same with BitWarden now that I have switched. Also a handy repository for notes on stuff, such an inventory of safety deposit box, all my financial and investment accounts, with names, phone numbers, etc. All in one place, searchable, and secure.

And it's on my systems and backups independent of internet connectivity.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
I just use the free version of Bitwarden. I like that it's open source.
Just switched over to BitWarden. A few learning curves from LastPass, but nothing more than that. Exported everything from LP, imported into BW, and some tweaking and set to go.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I also use keepass, so versatile. I use it to keep all software keys, device models/serials, of everything from guns to vehicles, to electronics, to power tools. I periodically backed up LastPass exports to Keepass, and will do the same with BitWarden now that I have switched. Also a handy repository for notes on stuff, such an inventory of safety deposit box, all my financial and investment accounts, with names, phone numbers, etc. All in one place, searchable, and secure.

And it's on my systems and backups independent of internet connectivity.
Interesting. I never thought about using keepass for anything other than passwords. That's a pretty neat idea. I do take advantage of the notes section for each entry though and I also like the fact that is doesn't store anything online.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Interesting. I never thought about using keepass for anything other than passwords. That's a pretty neat idea. I do take advantage of the notes section for each entry though and I also like the fact that is doesn't store anything online.
It pays off at times. I had a hard drive fail, and after replacing it I reloaded Windows 10, and wanted it to be a Pro version due to features not included with the Home version.
Still had a Win7 Pro key stored in Keepass, typed it in, and it activated Windows 10 Pro install. I guess every software key I've ever had is stored in there, you never know when it will come in handy.

Reactions: balloonshark

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
It was always a foregone conclusion that this would happen at some point to LastPass since the parent company (LogMeIn) was acquired by a private equity firm.

The deal closed back on 08/31/20, so I'm only surprised it took them this long to look for ways to start maximizing profits.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
I won't bother upgrading as Lastpass doesn't work right on android. Never fills in passwords correctly. I always have to open the app and copy/paste the password. Will just open in the browser instead of the app. Unless they somehow restrict access from mobile browser I don't see any value in upgrading.

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
I won't bother upgrading as Lastpass doesn't work right on android. Never fills in passwords correctly. I always have to open the app and copy/paste the password. Will just open in the browser instead of the app. Unless they somehow restrict access from mobile browser I don't see any value in upgrading.

I had this problem as well, and they've done nothing to resolve it (or to even improve the product) in the last couple years. Not worth wasting my money on a product whose ownership has no intention of actually supporting it.

If they do restrict access to browsers, I'll just set up a separate Lastpass account for my phone and manually sync them. Or install Bitwarden, Myki, or Keepass on my phone (if I have to look up and manually key a password anyway, why pay LastPass for being forced to do it).

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
5 days post dumping LastPass and using BitWarden. I actually prefer it over LP, even disregarding their last stunt with recent changes. I prefer the interface in my browser of choice, FireFox, and much prefer the Android app over lastpass's Android app.

And that was before it was learned that lastpass's Android has no less than 7 trackers imbeded.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Probably should have looked at this before. Never pays to let your guard down, plus the fact that Steve Gibson was so high on LastPass. Perhaps he should have at least pointed this out.

LastPass's Android app was written by a third party, LogMeIn, Inc.
BitWarden's Android app is written by BitWarden, Inc.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
^ This is why I avoid phone apps like the plague. Almost every single one of em ends up also having trackers. It's pretty terrible really, I hate the phone ecosystem for that, it's designed against spying on us and the OSes facilitate it. They're about tracking and collecting data. If there was options for dumb phones that are easy to text on and still have a good camera I'd seriously consider it tbh.

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
Probably should have looked at this before. Never pays to let your guard down, plus the fact that Steve Gibson was so high on LastPass. Perhaps he should have at least pointed this out.

LastPass's Android app was written by a third party, LogMeIn, Inc.
BitWarden's Android app is written by BitWarden, Inc.

LogMeIn isn't a 3rd party company - it is the parent company of LastPass. LogMeIn (and thus its LastPass property) was bought out by a private equity firm in 3rd quarter 2020.

It doesn't excuse the trackers, but any time a for-profit company gives something away for free (especially something with as few limitations as the prior free version of LastPass had) you should always presume there are some kind of strings (or, in this case, profiling trackers) attached.

I was evaluating Bitwarden, but so far I'm not all that impressed. It is an okay product, but its password form filling capabilities aren't all that good. Granted, that is also the case for lots of paid password managers as well. For someone like me, that isn't that big a deal; however, it isn't great for use by senior citizens (for whose use I was evaluating it for) as it is harder for them to use than LastPass even with its existing flaws.

I do like Dashlane, but it is simply far too expensive to justify it as a recommendation based upon what you get out of it versus its expense.