Largest percent pay increase?

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
What was your largest percent pay increase, assuming you were fully employed at the time of the promotion or new company?

10% seems the minimum if you are changing companies, but not worth the hassle unless there are numerous other benefits.

I got a 75% increase when I went from Intern to Full Time employee... but I don't count that.

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
14.7%, but moved to a more expensive state, so the overall raise was <10%.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Almost pulled off 30% from a buyout as a govt contractor, they smacked me down when they found out how much I was getting though (after signing the offer letter!). Ended up with more like 10%.
Got 20% transitioning from that position to current, so not bad all in all. Turned down 30-35% for better benefits.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I was with a company working on a contract with the government and we lost the contract. The new company that came on board thought they would get all of us to come on board by basically matching our salaries + giving extra money to pay for parking or commuting. All of us LOL'd at the offers and said no thanks.

A week or two later they realized they really needed some of us or else they were completely screwed. My company I was with who lost the contract also told me they had nothing they could do for me as far as put me on another project. To make a long story short, I ended up going on with the new company with a 35% raise.

I only stayed with that company for about 8 months. It set a new base salary for me which was great for my career. It was painfully obvious why the government went with this new company too, they clearly had the lowest bid. It was obvious when they didn't know wtf they were doing and ran the project into the ground.

I just did the math and I now actually make 35% more than I did when I took that 35% increase in pay. Granted it's been 4 years since that job, but still a good jump nonetheless.

madoka

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2004
I went 100% once, but to be fair I'm self-employed and control how much I get.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
My first "real" job, in my profession, out of college I got a 20% raise after a year. They realized how much of a fucking haxor I was. Not really, it was cause I was hugely underpayed, but I was pretty happy with it.

When I got my current job it was about a 15-16% increase. I was surprised at how much more I was offered, although what I make now for my profession and experience is certainly not high, but I'd say it's average for my area/cost-of-living.

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
I got one that was around 18% at one point. That was a nice day. same job too. No movement.

I currently make double what I did 6 years ago.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
My first role change in my company netted me an additional 20%. I've gotten 8 % and 10% raises since then and have been with the company almost 5 years. I'll probably jump ship next year and hope to get another 20% or so.

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
60%
But it was only a $6/hr raise. Since then I have had higher $/hr raises but at a lower percent.

SketchMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 23, 2005
I *think* I remember getting ~20% after the first year working IT at a startup. I came in at an entry level but quickly took on more responsibilities. Since we were a three-man team at the time there really weren't any levels for me to get promoted to, so my boss just upped my pay to reflect my workload.

Now? I'm happy if I get anything more than 3% at my current company.

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
Probably 15 - 20% three or four years in a row. Graduated law school during a golden period where big firms kept competing with each other to raise starting salaries. Everything was lock step at the time, so all 1st year lawyers made X, all 2nd year lawyers made Y, etc. By increasing starting salaries for 1st year lawyers, everyone got the normal bump + to account for the starting salary increase. Good times. I hear my former firm and others have done it again and increased starting salaries to something like $190k, which is pretty insane.

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
Did 15% at previous employer, and moved to a waaaaay less expensive state, so it was nice.

I just asked for 18% at current. Got slapped the fuck down though, said they could at most do 3-5%.

Said I need to be relocated asap then. So they're looking for work for me supposedly, as well am I with other companies. Can't afford healthcare at my current location/salary.

hardhat

Dec 4, 2011
My coworker got about 120%, and works from home now. I am seriously considering doing the same. But then the company I work for would be completely SOL, and they don't deserve that. Tough decision.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Hmmm 2% I think? Basically we sometimes get a "cost of living" wage increase, but it's not guarantee, we have to fight for it each union agreement. Before I hit my pay cap I think each step was around 1-2% as well, I forget. There was a step every 6 months. I'm at my pay cap now so other than the occasional 1-2% we may get based on the union agreement I have no raises left unless I was to go into management, but that's not my thing. I can't really complain though since there arn't too many tech related jobs here that pay even close to what I make.

Nov 8, 2012
Largest when switching companies: Roughly 50%. Moved from roughly 45 to 65 at the time. That was basically my first job out of school to my second, so that was quite a while ago.

Largest when having yearly review: Last year, actually. Our fiscal year ended mid-year this year and I got a 12% raise with a decent bonus. Which is good because I'm really getting sick of the shit I work with. When I saw the raise I was like "Ok, you got me to stay 1 more year".

Chapbass

Diamond Member
May 31, 2004
I switched companies for a bump of around 80% or so. After you factor in the free health insurance and extra 401k match of my (then) new firm, it was even more. Needless to say, I was underpaid at my old shop (hence why i was looking :p)

Chapbass

Diamond Member
May 31, 2004
That said, percentages also suck. A 10% raise when you're making 25k a year (I wasn't but for example) really blows. Have fun doing that for decades before you're making something decent.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
That said, percentages also suck. A 10% raise when you're making 25k a year (I wasn't but for example) really blows. Have fun doing that for decades before you're making something decent.

but if you started at 25$k and got %10 every year you'd be at 436$k after 30 years

now we're talkin madoka money

ctk1981

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2001
Uh....in the early years of my peon career, part time at a Dairy Queen. Wage increase, paid vacation, bigger Christmas bonus....why...he believed men were better workers. That was 20 years ago....never had a pay raise or benefit raise that had compared since.

Now, make way more....BUT, benefits over 15 years have went down, raise hasn't kept up with cost of living, I'm technically more poor than I was 15 years ago.

DT4K

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2002
113% not sure that counts. Went from min wage to a temp programming job when I was almost done with my CS degree.
43% raise after 6 months in that same temp programming job.
I'm sure those very early career raises are pretty common.

Probably the most "significant" raise in terms of actual dollars was a few years ago when after 10 years of doing development, I moved to a project consulting role with a software company. That was about a 30% increase.