Large Black Square in Windows Wallpaper

cytoSiN

Platinum Member
Jul 11, 2002
Installed an Asus STRIX 970 yesterday for a 5760x1200 desktop, and having a weird issue on the left-most monitor. There's a small rectangular black spot, with two small dark gray arrows, but it's only on the wallpaper...I can cover it with a window. Tried the obvious things (changing wallpaper, unplug/replug, etc.) Any ideas what this is and how to make it go away?

oubfdd.jpg

No, that is not my standard wallpaper, but it's the easier way to see the issue. I have the same problem with all wallpapers, whether stretched (tiled, as it were) across all three, or duplicated on each one.

Here it is with a window over it, and it disappears:

k96mw8.jpg

Help, I'm stumped!

Thanks!

Last edited:

cytoSiN

Platinum Member
Jul 11, 2002
Also noticed that it disappears for a second before restart, and takes a few seconds to show up after restart. Indicates it's a program causing it that loads when Windows starts, but I can't pinpoint it. Any ideas?

cytoSiN

Platinum Member
Jul 11, 2002
Solved! Appears to be caused by Asus AI Suite II. If you open that program and minimize it again, it goes away. Weird, but solved, so not complaining.

rgallant

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2007
Solved! Appears to be caused by Asus AI Suite II
google for a cleaning tool to remove that.

KaRLiToS

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2010
I was about to say it is caused by a desktop gadget but you found your issue already.

cytoSiN

Platinum Member
Jul 11, 2002
Solved! Appears to be caused by Asus AI Suite II
google for a cleaning tool to remove that.

Yep, I had figured it out. But AI Suite doesn't need to be "cleaned." It's useful software if you're using an Asus mobo, especially if you're tweaking settings. It's just silly that it creates this weird issue. Thankfully there's a simple fix (just open and then minimize).

KaRLiToS

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2010
Yep, I had figured it out. But AI Suite doesn't need to be "cleaned." It's useful software if you're using an Asus mobo, especially if you're tweaking settings. It's just silly that it creates this weird issue. Thankfully there's a simple fix (just open and then minimize).

Asus AI suite is the worst monitoring software in the world.

cytoSiN

Platinum Member
Jul 11, 2002
Asus AI suite is the worst monitoring software in the world.

I haven't used enough others to agree/disagree, but I don't use it as my main monitoring software. I do, however, like to keep it installed for the convenience of checking on something when I need to, instead of having to download individual utilities for every component/part of my motherboard. And since this is such an easy fix, and only needed when I reboot (which is almost never), it's not a big distraction.

KaRLiToS

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2010
Asus AI Suite II is very well know to be one of the worst monitoring program. It doesn't even update anymore.

Get aida64 instead. http://www.aida64.com/

It reads everything you need to know.

I also have the LCD keyboard monitor display. Check this vid here to see what it can do on LCD keyboard display: http://youtu.be/7R6z-1pAEPw?t=19s . With that, you'll never need to have an annoying on-screen-display ruining your image (OSD)

desktop3_zps144a11c8.jpg~original

Last edited:

KaRLiToS

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2010
If I was you, I would just uninstall it. It can cause a lot of issues with other monitoring program. Especially if you use something like MSI Afterburner or EVGA Precision X.

But that is just me, have a nice day mate and I hope you find a nice snowblower :D