Laptop Won't Boot

Cozarkian

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2012
My laptop fails during POST. I push the power button, the lights come on, the CPU fan runs for about a second, then stops, then about 5 seconds later the computer turns off without the screen ever turning on. I bought a POST diagnostic tool and it returns the error code FF immediately upon pushing the power button.

The same thing happens whether the adapter is plugged in and battery removed, just the battery is in, or both are. I've also tried disconnecting and reconnecting the SSD, HDD, RAM and CPU fan power, which are the only components I can easily access.

Anything else worth trying before replacement or repairs?

Cozarkian

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2012
This should really be in computer help. Sorry about that. Would a mod mind moving for me?

Cozarkian

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2012
So what does FF mean?

From what I gather it means "Fully F'd" as in either the CPU or Mobo isn't working. Since the fan turns on, I'm guessing that means it isn't a simple short or a completely dead motherboard, but I'm no hardware expert so I was hoping someone here might have some advice.

QUOTE="UsandThem, post: 38423200, member: 19686"]Heck, despite wanting to know what the 'FF' code means also, I want to know the make and model number of the laptop even more![/QUOTE]

Sager NP7258 ordered through XoticPC. It's built on a Clevo WS something.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Sager NP7258 ordered through XoticPC. It's built on a Clevo WS something.

Without knowing what mainboard is in it, I'm going to assume error code 'FF' is not good and related to this:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1185635/how-to-fix-your-computer-that-wont-post-or-has-an-ff-error-code

It's very long, so I won't quote it all, but:

The dreaded "FF" POST code, or no POST at all
(this fix is best done outside a case to ensure the case isn't shorting the motherboard):
1) If you know what burnt electronics smell like, then smell your motherboard. I'm not joking. Specifically around the VREG (left/above the socket), Southbridge (below the socket) and Chipset (right of the PCI slots) areas. If you smell burnt electronics, keep that in mind if you hit step (7b) below as that'll means its the motherboard 99.9% of the time.