laptop with 2.5 HDD

damian101

Aug 11, 2020
I don't think there are any. The only laptop I've ever seen with place for a 15mm hard drive was manufactured more than 20 years ago. I also don't think there have been any laptops with space for 12.5mm 2.5" hard drives for many years.
You can still find laptops with place for 9.5mm 2.5" hard drives (mostly in mobile workstations and heavy gaming laptops that happen to have that space), but 7mm has been the standard in laptops for many years now, probably because most people don't want to put HDDs in their laptops anyway and pretty much all 2.5" SSDs are 7mm thick.

Last edited:

fire400

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2005
Head to an Office Depot or Best Buy, they always have the cheapo laptops for $300-$500 with spinning drives.

Gaming laptops that have dual drives, will still usually come with the 2.5" slot.
Sometimes, gaming laptops, their 2.5" data drive bay is unfilled and just comes with the 2.5" adapter/enclosure, just in case the owner does want to install a SATA drive into them.

Edit;
Yes, also, anticipate 7mm SATA in slim laptops, and possibly the potential for a 9.5mm SATA in gaming/workstation laptops.