Laptop vs Desktop performance

Mariachi

Apr 8, 2016
I know back in the days Laptops with identical yet mobile version CPU and GPU as desktop counterpart were giving almost half less performance with heavy gaming situations than desktop with identical specs.

Yet because they laptops are mobile they cost almost twice as much as desktop computer.

Golden formula i made for myself laptops are two times more expensive and two times more slow than desktop hardware.

Is it still stands true?

RJrock16

Mar 29, 2022
Hello buddy, I need your help. I am facing a problem with my PC. I am using Intel core I7 6th Generation laptop 256 GB SSD Samsung Hard drive with 8 Gb Ram. But it is still working slowly when using the Chrome browser. Tell me what should I do about it.

Last edited:

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
Hello buddy, I need your help. I am facing a problem with my PC. I am using Intel core I7 6th Generation laptop 256 GB SSD Samsung Hard drive with 8 Gb Ram. But it is still working slowly when using the Chrome browser. Tell me what should I do about it.

Use a different browser.

Reactions: QuietDad
Jul 27, 2020
Golden formula i made for myself laptops are two times more expensive and two times more slow than desktop hardware.
You are forgetting weight. Desktop can be three times heavier than a laptop. Also, don't forget the weight of the monitor with the desktop. And it will now consume almost 3 times the electricity when comparing the highest end CPUs. I hate the higher prices but these are good reasons to justify buying the laptop if you can afford it.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Don't see the problem, you can compare benchmarks. Mobile CPUs are optimized for low power draw, so you get reasonable runtime off a reasonably sized and priced, battery. How long do you think your laptop would run if it were using 400W, and how loud would it be to have enough airflow to support that?

Besides, modern laptops have a fast enough processor for most things I'd want to do with one, so I'd end up paying about the same as I would for a desktop or even less. It's not even about performance to me any longer, just want a big, high-res screen. Really if you add the cost of the desktop monitor, I'd only be willing to pay 1/2 or less for a laptop, what my desktop setup cost.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
I know back in the days Laptops with identical yet mobile version CPU and GPU as desktop counterpart were giving almost half less performance with heavy gaming situations than desktop with identical specs.

Yet because they laptops are mobile they cost almost twice as much as desktop computer.

Is it still stands true?

The gap has narrowed, but I would still say that you're paying more and giving up some performance. It's difficult to escape the realities of a small, battery-dependent design... and of course, you're always buying a display when you buy a laptop.

You can certainly buy a laptop and use it as your only computer these days. You just need to set realistic expectations. They're more than good enough for most daily tasks and will often handle heavy-duty computing with grace; they just won't be as fast as the best desktops, and with Windows PCs you can expect a lot of noise and heat.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
The biggest difference these days is the GPU due to power / cooling restrictions on laptops.

GPU TGP can range from 60W-140W on RTX dGPU's. Desktop versions coming out in the near future are pushing 600W of power.

Putting a 12700H (laptop) vs 12700K (desktop) side by side are fairly similar but, there's a 2 P core shift from one format to the other.

https://technical.city/en/video/GeForce-RTX-3060-mobile-vs-GeForce-RTX-3060 (30% difference)

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
When video card prices were in the stratosphere a laptop with a dGPU was a reasonable substitute. I bought a laptop with a 1660 ti for $750. You couldn't touch a desktop a few months ago for that.

Reactions: JWMiddleton