Laptop shuts off when plugged in?

Feneant2

Golden Member
May 26, 2004
Hi,

This morning I was on my laptop and it shut off unexpectedly. I powered it on a few times and it always shuts off a few seconds after (either when I see the initial Toshiba screen up to the Windows screen.

I took out the battery to see and the same problem happens so I tried a second AC adapter and it still happens. The only time it doesn't happen is when it's not plugged in at all. Running on battery power alone is just fine but if I was to plug it in right now for example, it would shut off in maybe 5 seconds.

Any ideas what could cause this? I read online and couldn't find much useful although some said to replace the motherboard... which is probably not even worth it considering on Ebay it sells for over 200$.

Thanks in advance

Adrenaline

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2005
The board is most likely bad. I repaired laptops for years and it was either the charging cord or the board where the power is plugged in at went bad. You tried two cords so the only other thing is the board.

Feneant2

Golden Member
May 26, 2004
Is that board something I can replace or is it a part of the motherboard itself?

Actually, I noticed a few more things. Right now I am plugged in and it is working which it was earlier but shut off after a while. It also shut off on battery power alone. Does that give any more indication or still an issue with the board?

Adrenaline

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2005
If you are having random shut-offs it could be a multitude of things. In a laptop, it is generally the mother board for issues such as this. Most laptops in general have built in video cards and some even have built in modems and memory. Changing a motherboard is not hard in general, but you will need some instructions on how to at least do it so you know where to put the screws back in when finished.