Laptop Shuts down on any command

DarkLense

Feb 8, 2018
Hey,
Laptop Asus formerly dual core, now i3, formerly 2gb now 8 worked just fine for 8 years and now crashes on each command, the only time it stays on is in safe mode.
Is there help for Frankenstein or should I just let it RIP?
Thanks

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Well, there was an issue with laptops shipping with an HM versus NM chipset, one of them can take i3 and above CPUs, as well as Core-based Pentium and Celeron, the other one, was limited to Pentium and Celeron CPUs ONLY.

If you attempted to upgrade a laptop with the "limited" chipset, to an i3, or above, it would shut down every 30 minutes.

Is that approximately what's happening here?

Or is it more along the lines, of every time you go to run a program, you get a BSOD or Reboot or something? Could be a bad HDD, or a power issue then. (Maybe RAM or GPU too.)

Reactions: DarkLense

DarkLense

Feb 8, 2018
Well, there was an issue with laptops shipping with an HM versus NM chipset, one of them can take i3 and above CPUs, as well as Core-based Pentium and Celeron, the other one, was limited to Pentium and Celeron CPUs ONLY.

If you attempted to upgrade a laptop with the "limited" chipset, to an i3, or above, it would shut down every 30 minutes.

Is that approximately what's happening here?

Or is it more along the lines, of every time you go to run a program, you get a BSOD or Reboot or something? Could be a bad HDD, or a power issue then. (Maybe RAM or GPU too.)

I think its the first one, everything matches with what you said. I didnt know that, thank you very much

chrx144

Feb 19, 2018
I think it is time for you to put it to its grave. After 8 years, your laptop will definitely take its toll.