Laptop screen not turning on

Valence

Dec 15, 2012
I'm having screen issues with my Fujitsu Stylistic ST5112 tablet. When I turn on the computer, the screen flashes on for a fraction of a second, then suddenly shuts off. I know the computer is working because I eventually hear the start-up sound that plays when it gets to the login screen. So I'm just wondering how to troubleshoot this issue. It has to be either the GPU or the screen's backlight. I'm assuming it's the backlight because it does flash on for a second before going blank, and because the fluorescent backlights on old computers go out eventually.

If it is the screen itself, I found a screen for this computer on eBay that I would buy as a replacement. I just wanted to ask the knowledgeable members around here if it probably is the screen, or something else.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
probably the screen. if it's the back light, you can shine a flashlight at the screen and you'll still be able to see what's on it. if the screen is dead, this still won't work. If it was the video card, then you'd probably be having different issues.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Taking a tablet apart is not for the faint hearted and is a heck of a starting point for learning how to take things apart and fix them.

xgsound

Golden Member
Jan 22, 2002
I believe that model has an auxiliary monitor output. Attach other monitor to check out other functions. You may have to do something to activate the external screen.

Also look for a youtube video for your screen change to see how hard it is.

Jim

wheelerj

Oct 8, 2013
Did the back light go out? I had a Dell Laptop that went black one day so i hooked up an extra monitor to it until i had the funds for the repair.