Laptop nvidia drivers

mojothehut

Feb 26, 2012
Hey all.
It has been forever since I owned a laptop with a dedicated graphics card.
I just purchased an Acer Nitro 5 with an Nvidia 1050 Ti.
I was wondering if it's a good idea or not to just updated the drivers from Nvidia's website? The only ones on Acer's website are from like April. The latest Windows Update tossed 388.92 on the laptop while I was setting it up. Should I leave well enough alone or go for the latest from Nvidia?

Thanks!

DooKey

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2005
I always update my laptop drivers from the NV website. No problems at all. I'm running a Dell G3 with a 1050 Ti.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Should be fine. I'd check out the current clock speeds first and run a couple of easy benchmarks. Once in a while you'll see some weirdo situation where a laptop doesn't have mojo with what should be better drivers. Not nearly as common as it used to be however. I remember having to mod INFs just to get some to work. But 10xx stuff seems to be closer than ever to the desktop parts.

In the old days, you'd see a "GTX 680M", which would be closer to a desktop 660 lol. Ditto 'HD6970M' haha. Going back as far as you can see during the the GPU age.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
On my old Dell I always had to use Dell's provided drivers. But it had a Quadro, which was maybe why.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Have an MSI gaming laptop with a GTX 1050 in there that uses the integrated Intel card for all of it's video passthrough etc.

Always update from the NV site and have never had a problem (while having quite a few problems fixed from the stock driver).

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Have an MSI gaming laptop with a GTX 1050 in there that uses the integrated Intel card for all of it's video passthrough etc.

Always update from the NV site and have never had a problem (while having quite a few problems fixed from the stock driver).

This is definitely a big step up from the older days of Nvidia laptop support. I've had similar experiences with Nvidia from 600 series and up. A bit hit or miss with older ones. Modding INF lets owners of older GPUs to use better or non-OEM drivers directly from Nvidia (stock driver but with GPU hardware ID string added so that it can be installed without 'no compatible hardware found' message).

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
The only time updating my Nvidia drivers on my laptop was a bad idea, was when they decided to disable the ability to overclock. They backtracked on that idea very quickly. My laptops' driver page for the nvidia drivers are so old now, they probably would cause a ton of problems.

I usually go to the driver page on a laptop/motherboard to see what I need, then go to each component's website and get the latest version; with a few exceptions.