Laptop not booting....again

blackrain

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2005
This laptop (Asus U47A-BGR4) is out-of-warranty but barely used. Completely forgot that we bought it a while back and never opened it up to test it. Out of the box, it had the following issues:

First issue (HD not recognized by BIOS): https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/new-laptop-not-booting-into-windows.2549578/#post-39478520

Second issue: (battery dead): https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/never-used-but-old-battery-not-charging.2549792/#post-39483717

The first issue seemed to resolve itself after letting it sit (off) for a few days. It booted up. There was a recovery directory. You could F9 to do a recovery, etc. Everything seemed fine.

We started using it and one day, we got an error message that it could not come out of hibernation (error) with only the option to start normal or recover. Both options hang (black screen with a cursor showing sometimes).

I tried choosing F9 and I get the initial windows loading screen/message. Then, I get a black screen.

I tried a recovery CD and got a black screen.

I downloaded bootmed to try to boot of it and see some of the diagnosis/recovery tools might be useful. I see the initial loading icon and then a black screen.

Everything leads to a black screen! Why am I seeing a black screen if I am booting off a DVD or CD?

As I am writing this, I tried to boot up again, and the hard drive is not being recognized in the BIOS. I am hearing a clicking sound (maybe the click of death for the hard drive). I am going to replace the HD for starters. I am curious if anyone else has a better idea or sees another potential issue that I am missing. Even if the HD is dead, why cant I boot a Live CD/DVD environment?

Also, I just noticed that the boot priority is:
Boot 1: UEFI: DVDRAM
Boot 2: P2: DVDRAM

Why are there 2 options for DVD bootup? I am not familiar with the newer tech terms like UEFI but will have to look that one up (Been out of the loop for 6-7 years with computers)

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
EFI has become the new standard for computers: https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...nterface/efi-homepage-general-technology.html

you could try to switch to a legacy boot option and select the HDD in a more traditional boot list. I've seen some laptops come preset with BIOS settings that can cause issues with booting (make sure you set SATA operation mode to either IDE or AHCI). when using EFI instead of Legacy, I like to select only the DVD and/or USB drive as bootable devices while I troubleshoot the hard disk.

it is possible to recreate the boot files on a EFI partition and have the disk boot again; I will look for my notes and links on how to do so. it does require basic know how of command line however...

blackrain

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2005
EFI has become the new standard for computers: https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...nterface/efi-homepage-general-technology.html

you could try to switch to a legacy boot option and select the HDD in a more traditional boot list. I've seen some laptops come preset with BIOS settings that can cause issues with booting (make sure you set SATA operation mode to either IDE or AHCI). when using EFI instead of Legacy, I like to select only the DVD and/or USB drive as bootable devices while I troubleshoot the hard disk.

it is possible to recreate the boot files on a EFI partition and have the disk boot again; I will look for my notes and links on how to do so. it does require basic know how of command line however...
I will try that tomorrow. I swapped out the HD with an SSD, and it seems to be running flawlessly. I will plug the original HD back in and tinker with the BIOS settings to see if the settings are causing a conflict. I am concerned about a clicking noise that I am hearing though when the HD is plugged in.

When the HD dropped off the first time a few weeks ago, I should have known it was on its way out and backed it up then. I tried using the Asus Backup software that came pre-loaded and it wouldnt work. I got tied up and never got around to doing any other backups.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
In that case I'd just leave the old HDD out and use an external interface like a USB dock or adapter in order to back it up. If all you need is the data then going through the trouble of making it bootable could make the problem worse; clicking is typically not a good sign.

Zucker2k

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2006
Have you tried updating your bios to the latest version. If you haven't, please do that. That usually solves most of the quirks, especially if you get one right after they come on sale.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
In that case I'd just leave the old HDD out and use an external interface like a USB dock or adapter in order to back it up. If all you need is the data then going through the trouble of making it bootable could make the problem worse; clicking is typically not a good sign.
Get a USB3.0-to-SATA adapter, they're under $12, and use a Linux LiveUSB bootable distro (Linux Mint is a favorite), to access your files. (Linux doesn't respect NTFS file-permissions, and you will have an easier time mounting and accessing your files in Linux as compared to Windows, having to deal with permissions constantly for the "foreign" drive.)