Laptop memory upgrade question

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
I'm fixing to upgrade the RAM in my business laptop (in sig below...) Currently it has 1 stick 256mb DDR2 RAM (4200,) would it be better to get 2x 1G sticks or just 1x stick of 2G? Does it matter in my old dinosaur?

Does rated speed matter? (i.e. Can I replace my PC2 4200 with PC2 5300 wether or not it can transfer that fast?)

I'll be dropping in a 2.13GHz Pentium M 770, replacing the 1.73GHz M 740, if that matters.

(Please don't tell me I need to buy a new laptop... :colbert: )

Last edited:

zuffy

Feb 28, 2000
I don't think the laptop support 2GB modules. As for the speed, I would just get what the laptop support.

That is a very slow HDD you have. I have a Dell 700m 2GHz, 2GB RAM, Hitachi 100GB 7200rpm and an IBM 1.73GHz, 2GB RAM, Hitachi 60GB 7200rpm. Both are running XP with SP3. I used to use it for web surfing but it's so slow, I just use the iPad or my XPS 15 laptop instead.

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
I don't think the laptop support 2GB modules. As for the speed, I would just get what the laptop support.

That is a very slow HDD you have. I have a Dell 700m 2GHz, 2GB RAM, Hitachi 100GB 7200rpm and an IBM 1.73GHz, 2GB RAM, Hitachi 60GB 7200rpm. Both are running XP with SP3. I used to use it for web surfing but it's so slow, I just use the iPad or my XPS 15 laptop instead.

The HDD upgrade is Phase III in the upgrade... not only is it slow, it's SMALL! The processor and RAM are Phase I & II...

OK... noob question #2... how do I know what memory the laptop will support?

T_Yamamoto

Lifer
Jul 6, 2011
CPU-Z and check what memory is already loaded up and buy something close

or check your manual

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
I'm fixing to upgrade the RAM in my business laptop (in sig below...) Currently it has 1 stick 256mb DDR2 RAM (4200,) would it be better to get 2x 1G sticks or just 1x stick of 2G? Does it matter in my old dinosaur?

Does rated speed matter? (i.e. Can I replace my PC2 4200 with PC2 5300 wether or not it can transfer that fast?)

I'll be dropping in a 2.13GHz Pentium M 770, replacing the 1.73GHz M 740, if that matters.

(Please don't tell me I need to buy a new laptop... :colbert: )
What chipset? If it supports dual-channel, by no means... get 2x1 or 2x2 sticks. I upgraded a similar laptop the other day, memory could only run in single. Put 1x2gb instead.

Also, a dual-core might work in that config too. Don't strip urselv off perf ;-p

Last edited:

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
CPU-Z and check what memory is already loaded up and buy something close

I did... it's a single stick of 2x 256 (in fact, I pulled the panel to check myself.)

It does run dual channel.

...actually, I think I answered my own question. I pulled my system up on Dell and it shows a 2GB/800MHz upgrade for my laptop. DOH... :$

zuffy

Feb 28, 2000
Are you paying for all these upgrades or getting it for free? I know you don't want to hear it but save the money for a new cheap laptop. Even a $300 laptop would offer more RAM, storage, much faster CPU, lighter, better resolution, everything new with warranty, etc.

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
For $300 I can get like 3 laptops of eBay and make them use-able again, lol

Parts for these dino's are cheap as chips !!!

zuffy

Feb 28, 2000
What is useable? To surf the net? Sure but try watching a 1080p video or even an action 720p MKV. It will choke.

zuffy

Feb 28, 2000
I am referring to the OP's spec. Those Pentium-M processors are not dual cores. Even the desktop Pentium 4 3Ghz with HT will choked. I tried them with a Velociraptor HDD.

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
I am referring to the OP's spec. Those Pentium-M processors are not dual cores. Even the desktop Pentium 4 3Ghz with HT will choked. I tried them with a Velociraptor HDD.
Ah yeah, Pentium M upgrade is a waste unless OP gets it for free. Those extra 400 Mhz won't do much, unfortunately. Maybe CoreAVC could help there, though.

Point is, you can get a cheap dual-core for like $10-15 shipped which would be a decent upgrade and worth the time actually doing it. Some laptops can be PITA doing those :)

Last edited:

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011

Ah yeah, Pentium M upgrade is a waste unless OP gets it for free. Those extra 400 Mhz won't do much, unfortunately. Maybe CoreAVC could help there, though.

Point is, you can get a cheap dual-core for like $10-15 shipped which would be a decent upgrade and worth the time actually doing it. Some laptops can be PITA doing those

Although we are veering off the topical reservation... how hard would it be to upgrade to a dual-core? I've not investigated it, just upgrading the single-core M processor (which appears to be an easy swap.) I just assumed a dual-core used a different socket and it wouldn't be possible.

I don't use my laptop for video or gaming, so it doesn't really need to be a powerhouse, it just needs to work, fairly quickly and reliabily... like it did when it was new. I think for about $150 or less I can replace the processor ($20,) the memory ($40,) and the HDD (biggest challenge since it's PATA... probably $60-80,) get a clean OS install and be back in business, so to speak.

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
Although we are veering off the topical reservation... how hard would it be to upgrade to a dual-core? I've not investigated it, just upgrading the single-core M processor (which appears to be an easy swap.) I just assumed a dual-core used a different socket and it wouldn't be possible.
Nope, it's the same socket. Considering the price and possible benefits, it's worth it. PM me the list if you're not sure.

I don't use my laptop for video or gaming, so it doesn't really need to be a powerhouse, it just needs to work, fairly quickly and reliabily... like it did when it was new. I think for about $150 or less I can replace the processor ($20,) the memory ($40,) and the HDD (biggest challenge since it's PATA... probably $60-80,) get a clean OS install and be back in business, so to speak
PATA... daaaaamn, an SSD could really put it back to life! IMO, for your activites ^, a faster hdd will do more benefit than dual-core cpu. But it doesn't hurt, I'd get 2/4 gigs of ram. That should be plenty.

EDIT: a quick check revealed pata ssds on the market, however no clue how good they are ;-p

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
Nope, it's the same socket. Considering the price and possible benefits, it's worth it. PM me the list if you're not sure.

PATA... daaaaamn, an SSD could really put it back to life! IMO, for your activites ^, a faster hdd will do more benefit than dual-core cpu. But it doesn't hurt, I'd get 2/4 gigs of ram. That should be plenty.

EDIT: a quick check revealed pata ssds on the market, however no clue how good they are ;-p

Not according to CPU-World:

Celeron M 300 series or Pentium M:
  • If your motherboard supports 533 MHz FSB then the fastest upgrade option is a Pentium M 780. If the Pentium M 780 seems too expensive or difficult to find then consider upgrading to Pentium 770.
  • If your motherboard supports only 400 MHz FSB then the fastest upgrade option is a Pentium M 765. If the Pentium M 765 seems too expensive or difficult to find then consider upgrading to Pentium 755.
You cannot upgrade to Core Solo, Core Duo, Celeron M 400 / 500 series, Pentium Dual-Core Mobile or Core 2 Duo Mobile processors.

I considered a SSD, but the cost for a decently sized one is just waaay out there... and then there is the issue of reliability. I could easily get a proven HHD for much less. Only problem is I can only get 5400rpm in the ATA-6 interface. :|

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
CPU-World is a general source of information. Not everything there is 100% valid. As Andrew Grove once said, "The devil is in the details".

I will be working with a similarly ancient laptop this weekend (Dothan based), trying out about a dozen of different processors. I will let you know of the outcome.

In the meantime, give me the exact model of your mainboard / make and chipset.

I considered a SSD, but the cost for a decently sized one is just waaay out there... and then there is the issue of reliability. I could easily get a proven HHD for much less. Only problem is I can only get 5400rpm in the ATA-6 interface. :|
You can still get a low-latency (~15ms) 5400 PATA drive for your laptop which won't give rocket speeds but will provide a decent speed boost over what you have. There are ways to use SATA SSDs in PATA laptops but that requires soldering and some luck. Last I checked Intel no longer manufactures PATA SSDs, so no point to get old tech. Intel SSDs have the lowest failure rate in the industry.

If the aesthetics of this laptop isn't a concern for you and LCD panel is in good condition, it makes sense to upgrade.

Last edited:

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
CPU-World is a general source of information. Not everything there is 100% valid. As Andrew Grove once said, "The devil is in the details".

I will be working with a similarly ancient laptop this weekend (Dothan based), trying out about a dozen of different processors. I will let you know of the outcome.

In the meantime, give me the exact model of your mainboard / make and chipset.

You can still get a low-latency (~15ms) 5400 PATA drive for your laptop which won't give rocket speeds but will provide a decent speed boost over what you have. There are ways to use SATA SSDs in PATA laptops but that requires soldering and some luck. Last I checked Intel no longer manufactures PATA SSDs, so no point to get old tech. Intel SSDs have the lowest failure rate in the industry.

If the aesthetics of this laptop isn't a concern for you and LCD panel is in good condition, it makes sense to upgrade.

I know there are rules and then there are rules... :sneaky: My technical knowledge level is not so much that I can try all sorts of silly stuff and still have my computer survive. It DID survive the CPU transplant... the 740 to 770 swap, and fired right up. The heat sink was almost completely clogged with lint (dust, etc) so tearing it apart solved another issue.

The current CPU is a Dothan M 770 SL7SL, the board is, according to CPU-Z, a Dell 0W9260. The chipset is Intel i915GMS/i910GML, rev 03.

This laptop bounced around the cab of a truck for about 2 years, but I have a very good Port armored case and it looks like new, along with the display. I try to take care of my stuff...

Most of what is available is the WD Scorpio Blue or the Samsung Spinpoint M2... I'm thinking in the 160GB range.

Let me know what you find... I appreciate it!!! :D