Discussion Laptop lags after startup

tomrivera

May 16, 2021
Specs:
8GB RAM
AMD A9-9425 RADEON R5, 5 COMPUTE CORES 2C+3G (2 CPUs), 3.1GHz
So I downloaded a few games just 2, so that makes 3. I did a comparison before and after I uninstalled the games. The storage wasn't even full, in fact, it was just a tiny bit of its space. like 600+ GB space left.

So the test was shutting it down then opening file explorer. Before uninstalling, the laptop was ok. But when I try to open anything it just doesn't work. I was impatient then Windows didn't respond. I tried defragging and cleaning up temp files it still didn't work. Then I uninstalled the games it was normal again. It used to handle heavy things. Now the system was like an ancient snail still crawling.

Is it because of my low-end system? Should I switch to Windows 7 or Linux? Or is there any fixes or solutions?

P.S. I have upgraded to SSD.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I've pretty-much sworn off all Excavator / Stoney Ridge -based laptops at this point, since 2C/2T or 2C/4T Zen-based APU laptops don't cost a huge amount more, and they are world-class better in terms of performance.

OP, I think that most of your issue is caused by Windows Update. For some reason, that seems to be especially brutal on Excavator core CPUs/APUs for some reason.

Putting in an SSD, and boosting that RAM, is about all that you can do with those, though running Linux Mint may give you an easier time of things.