Laptop Keyboard

jepatbentley

Jun 13, 2001
Very stupidly, I spilled orange juice on my laptop. I managed to get it to dry out fine and all of the keys work, but some of them are sticky and give resistance in coming back up. Any suggestions on how to clean the keyboard. The laptop is an ibm thinkpad a22m.

Thanks

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
If you are lucky and the oj only got on the keyboard, you can get another keyboard for about $100. Replacing it is not hard but you essentially have to take apart the Thinkpad.

jepatbentley

Jun 13, 2001
Everything has been working fine for about 2 weeks now, it's just that the keys are a little sticky. Is there any way to clean it without spending any money?

prosaic

Oct 30, 2002
I suggest erring on the side of caution. Obviously there's a chance, almost a certainty, that the keyboard isn't the only thing that got doused with OJ. I'd take that puppy apart and clean it, or have a professional service do it. Even though it's working okay for now (And you were lucky.) there's no reason to assume that the residue from the acids and sugars in that juice aren't sitting on the motherboard doing a job on various components.

Next time you spill something through the keyboard of a notebook computer, unless it was de-ionized water, don't just let it dry out and then restart it. You can blow away a lot of money by doing that.

- prosaic