Laptop HDD brand/connection compatibility Q's....

PCDumbass

Aug 26, 2002
I have a Sager laptop, Model# 2280T and its 10GB HDD is shot.

I think I have the know-how to take-on changing a HDD, I just wonder if I can use a Maxtor / Panasonic / Western Digital HDD from a different brand of laptop to replace it, or do I have to use a Sager proprietary HDD?

I'm just wondering since there are several laptop HDD's for sale on the forum and I'd like to be able to save this laptop by just doing a HDD swap. My concern is compatibility/connection/packaging issues.

Any comments would be appreciated. I have emailed Sager's tech support today and hopefully somebody will respond soon.

-Rob
robpilgrim(at)hotmail.com

johnjkr1

Platinum Member
Jan 10, 2003
The back of all laptop hard drives are identical. They plug into whatever converter your laptop has. Basically, any laptop hard drive should work, just make sure you get the right size.

PCDumbass

Aug 26, 2002
Right on man, thanks!

When talking about sizes, you mean the physical dimensions of the drive, right? Are there standard sizes? Say 3.5" x 3.5" x 1" and 4" x 4" x 1", etc...?

Just curious.

-Rob

johnjkr1

Platinum Member
Jan 10, 2003
Yes, I mean physical dimensions. There are 9, 12, etc mm drives. Most computers can take all sizes, some can not. You'll just need to check the specs of your laptop and find out what size drive it takes.

PCDumbass

Aug 26, 2002
"Unlike its larger, older siblings, the 2.5" form factor actually is named for the platter size of drives that use it (finally! :^) ) The width of a 2.5" drive is 2.75", and depth is 3.94". These drives originally came in just one height (0.75" or 19 mm). Since for any storage technology level there is a tradeoff between size and capacity, over time several different heights were created in this form factor as standards for mobile PC users with different requirements"

Good old Google. 2.5" width is the key, I just have to try and match up the length and height as best I can.

-Rob