Laptop gaming suggestions

thedosbox

Oct 16, 2009
I've started travelling for work again, and am looking for games that play well on a laptop (Intel HD 4000 graphics, 1600x900 resolution) with a touchpad.

I played Defense Grid to death the last time I was on the road, and am looking for some fresh ideas.

Other games I've tried and enjoyed:

Gunpoint - superb soundtrack and sense of humour.
Long Live the Queen - hilarious, but has long outlived its welcome.
Letter Quest - my vocabulary is narrower than I thought it was.

[edit] note that I will be reliant on flaky hotel wifi, so anything MP is out.

Last edited:

WiseUp216

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2012
www.heatware.com
Just a few off the top of my head that I've enjoyed in the past...

Defender's Quest: Valley of the Forgotten
Dungeon of the Endless
Binding of Isaac
FTL
Project Zomboid
Risk of Rain (if you're willing to buy a controller)
Rogue's Tale
Shattered Planet
Unepic (can probably be played with a keyboard without problems)

natto fire

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2000
When I work out of town, I have a XB360 pad and wireless mouse to hook up to my laptop. I wouldn't wish trackpad gaming on my worst enemy. Considering a wireless mouse costs the same or less than a game, it is rather pointless to tough out trackpad gaming, IMO. An OEM 360 pad will set you back a bit more, but will also crack your selection wide open.

Not sure what kind of places you stay at, but I have it made in the shade when I end up in hotels that have LCD TVs and sit back with my OEM 360 pad and 20 ft HDMI cable hooked to my lappy. My Steam library is chock full of full controller support games, and I just go over to big picture mode to make sure.

Sorry if my post wasn't helpful, but I just can't understand trying to game on trackpad when there are so many cheap options available.

thedosbox

Oct 16, 2009
Sorry if my post wasn't helpful, but I just can't understand trying to game on trackpad when there are so many cheap options available.

No offense taken. I don't like using a controller, and the mouse isn't a factor as I prefer games that are more cerebral.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2008
Try Dwarf Fortress. My grandson was fascinated (obsessed?) with the game for a while. I also think the remade Age of Empires, Age of Mythology and Rise of Nations would run well on a laptop, and are available from steam. I think you would need a mouse for them though, but like another poster, I dont see why you would not just plug in a wireless mouse.

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
Counter strike:Global Offensive will play at 1366x768 medium settings and hold 60fps.Have played and tried this on my HD4000 on my i7 3770.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
1. I played Torchlight 1 on HD2000 graphics and it worked great. I'm not sure how well the touchpad would work for it but you could pack a mouse.

2. Shadowrun Returns is turn-based so the framerate shouldn't matter.

MeldarthX

Golden Member
May 8, 2010
I can test later orcs must die.......but shadowrun returns is excellent game. also gaming on a track pad hell using a track pad is pretty close to hell as I can get......a good wireless mouse is the way to go ;)

a lot of solid games have been listed. The Baconing :)

thedosbox

Oct 16, 2009
dota 2 should run fine on medium-ish settings with a hd4000

Counter strike:Global Offensive will play at 1366x768 medium settings and hold 60fps.Have played and tried this on my HD4000 on my i7 3770.

I appreciate the thought, but did either of you read the first post? MP is out due to flaky hotel wifi.

Thanks to everyone else. I may go down the route of carrying a mouse, but travel mice tend to make my hand cramp. I'm also trying to minimize the amount of crap I have to carry.

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
SpaceChem - Logic/strategy game with amazing soundtrack
Rise of Nations - classic RTS
Civ IV - classic TBS

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
My favorite laptop games are Jets'N'Guns, Space Pirates and Zombies, and Bejeweled.

Sattern

Jul 20, 2014
Skylercompany.com
If you like MMOs and want a fresh experience then look into Maplestory 2.

It should come out early next year and will give you an amazing experience because it mainly uses the keyboard to maneuver.

Remobz

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2005
I bought it for a 1.99 on steam, but now it is apparently 10 bucks :eek:

One of my all time favorite games though, so I would say it's still a bargain at 10 dollars.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/107200/

I have not played games in years. I don't even have a steam account. In the past I always bought the CD's.

Besides that my internet connection is only 2MB download speed:( Would take me forever to download some larger games.