Laptop gaming from a couch? How is it?

sofakng

Jul 19, 2004
Right now I have an iPad but I'm thinking about buying a Macbook Air (or similar) so that I can sit on the couch and play some PC/OSX games while my wife watches TV, etc.

I already have a nice dedicated gaming rig downstairs in my office, but I was just thinking about something smaller I can use on the couch...

I'm not expecting to play FPS games, but some indie games or strategy/turn-based games could be really fun.

Is anybody else doing this?

I've tried a trackball from the couch and it's just not for me, so I would either use the trackpad on the laptop or maybe a mouse using a book as a mousepad, etc.

slpnshot

Dec 1, 2011
It works fine.

When I used to have a laptop, I played games on it all the time. I played on the desk, coach, bed sometimes, floor, w/e. I even played CS with a trackpad on occasion because I often forgot to bring an extra mouse to a lan party.

But only you can really answer if you'll like playing on the coach. You'll have to use either a trackpad or a mouse with a weird mousepad/flat surface setup. It's inconvenient for fps gaming, but most strategy/indie/turn based games work fine. If you're planning on resting the laptop on your lap for gaming, you might want to look into one of those lap desks.

Kalmah

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2003
I would consider finding a list of games with native xbox360 controller compatibility. Like this. http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1325865

Or get a few emulators along with that controller.

I always like to suggest the xbox360 controller, after having dozens of crappy logitechs and everything else, nothing seems to compare to the responsiveness and durability of it.

Overlord2 is a fun one btw.

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
Can't address Mac/controller issue, but I played FPS games on my bed with a 17" ROG laptop and a lap desk. Used keyboard/ mouse. My bed has a fairly firm mattress.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
It works fine.

When I used to have a laptop, I played games on it all the time. I played on the desk, coach, bed sometimes, floor, w/e. I even played CS with a trackpad on occasion because I often forgot to bring an extra mouse to a lan party.

That sounds like the most painful experience ever.

AlexAL

Jan 23, 2008
Just use a wireless mouse for the couch. Your pants' leg or any surface are really ok for it, except for maybe twitch FPS games.

Sleepingforest

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 2012
I'd definitely wait for Haswell to hit before getting any Intel mobile solution which depends on integrated graphics for gaming. Or look for something bulkier than a MBA with an actual graphics card (750M, etc).

MichaelBarg

Oct 30, 2012
There are a ton of GOG titles that are great on a laptop. Just make sure the games you want to play are playable with a trackpad, or that playing "on the couch" will let you use a mouse. Also, definitely what Sleepingforest said about Haswell/discrete graphics. Even for light gaming those features will make a noticeable difference in what you can do on a laptop.

EDUSAN

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2012
Just use a wireless mouse for the couch. Your pants' leg or any surface are really ok for it, except for maybe twitch FPS games.

i do this. I bought a wireless xbox360 gamepad, a wireless keyboard and a wireless mouse. I almost entirely play on the couch now.

You could say i've made my own Steambox.

The mouse works well on the couch surface, the worst issue is how good/bad the wireless works. Im at the limit of its range and sometimes i get some seconds in which the mouse/keyboard dont work. It doesnt bother the games i play, but i would rage if i die in a mp game because of that

Durvelle27

Diamond Member
Jun 3, 2012
i play on my desktop with a xbox 360 controller and on my big screen with no problems

Legios

Feb 12, 2013
I recently started gaming on my macbook. Installed Wow and took awhile to set up my bars again but it allows me to play in front of the TV and do easy things like pet battle and farm in those briefs spots where I find myself with 20 minutes free here and there.

Truthslayer

Dec 21, 2010
I'll just chip in here with keeping a consideration to airflow. My Clevo P170EM has intakes on the bottom, whereas before the Asus G73 I was using previously didn't (intakes around the display hinges), so one may need to elevate their laptop to prevent overheating.

slpnshot

Dec 1, 2011
That sounds like the most painful experience ever.

Eh, it was certainly an experience. Thankfully none of my friends were all that good so I still had a decent KDA. I just had to use wide corner turns because quick corner adjustments were a pota with the trackpad.