Laptop Backlight Help

bobkittae

Banned
Jan 5, 2003
I have a laptop that I really like alot but the backlight on the screen has gone. Anyone know how I might go about fixing this problem? Is there a way to do this w/out replacing the entire LCD? Thanx all.

bobkittae

Banned
Jan 5, 2003
The brand is Tiny and the model number I am unceratin of. I can get more information if need be.

Akira13

Feb 21, 2002
My laptop recently (yesterday) devloped a different (but related) problem. Namely, my display controller failed (so far as I can tell). I went onto Ebay (as my Dell is just 5 months past extended warranty) to see if I could find parts. I ran across an LCD backlight for my laptop. You might want to try Ebay for yours as well.

boshuter

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2003
backlights are replaceable and mostly interchangable between lcd's of the same size...... the actual backlight is a small diameter flourescent tube running the length of the top of the lcd. you should try to find one with the same connector, but you can splice your connector to the new one if you have to. some backlights are easier than other to replace, but some dissasembly of the lcd is required. you may have to peel tape or bend some tabs to take the lcd apart. just be very careful and you should be ok. you may want to make sure it's the backlight and not the video converter that is bad. the converters are relatively cheap and very easy to replace. hope this helps

Aerivus

Feb 2, 2003
Is there any standard power settings and interface that laptop backlights typically run at?
I need to know b/c I have a dead laptop screen w/ a working backlight that would provide good lighting inside my case.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
wow, i wanted to know this too.

i have no idea how long these backlights last, would just suck to have to replace it:p

Kermy

Sep 15, 2000
There's a webpage that sells backlights for LCDs. I don't remember the website though. Do a search on google or on the Dell Inspiron Video forums where I first saw it. IIRC it's not that bad of a change.

dejitaru

Banned
Sep 29, 2002
Test the backlight with the transformer to verify that it is defective. It may be a blown fuse or power supply.

Gunbuster

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
In the past I have seen more problems with the voltage converter than the actual FL tube, but heck I just swap the pannel and cable for warranty jobs these days. (FL inverter in built on all the dell panels I do)