Lap that puppy

sgrinavi

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2007
A simple lap on processor and heat sink (tuniq tower) took my 3.4 OC'd G0 Q6600 from Idle temps (on the cores) between 45 and 53 to 23 and 31

Start to finish it took less than an hour... about half of which was spent getting the dang thing off and back on.

swtethan

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2005
what grit did you use? I lapped mine and its sitting 39c, your room must be cold as heck also

and what did you use to get temps?

Hauk

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2001
Originally posted by: swtethan
what grit did you use? I lapped mine and its sitting 39c, your room must be cold as heck also

He didn't mention, his moved his case to the bottom shelf of the fridge.

Uh... 23-31?

swtethan

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2005
Originally posted by: SteelSix

He didn't mention, his moved his case to the bottom shelf of the fridge.

Uh... 23-31?

probably, or hes using speedfan

sgrinavi

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2007
I am using speedfan for both before and after measurements... no, it's not accurate, but the point is that the temps are down by a significant margin.

It is well worth the time. I used 800 and 1000 grit on the processor, HS was rough I had to work my way up from 220 to 1000.

Trevante

Jul 13, 2005
Well if you know they're not accurate, why don't you go get Coretemp and get accurate temps?

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
It's rather difficult to screw up an IHS so badly while lapping that you'd need to replace it. An uneven lap job can be fixed pretty easily.

o1die

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001
You're right to be cautious. Another poster in a different forum did just that. Used too much water when lapping. He ended up with a dead cpu.

sgrinavi

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2007
Originally posted by: Acanthus
Results are innacurate here...

Typical results are 0-5C difference.

Ya, I just posted this so I could hear this kind of BS

My HS was way off; I had to start with 220 to get it flat.... perhaps someone could use this information...

So, how about pooping on someone else's topic...

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
Originally posted by: sgrinavi
Results are innacurate here...

Typical results are 0-5C difference.

Ya, I just posted this so I could hear this kind of BS

My HS was way off; I had to start with 220 to get it flat.... perhaps someone could use this information...

So, how about pooping on someone else's topic...

Im sorry but im not the one claiming i dropped temps by 22C @ load by sanding down the CPU.

I doubt thats even possible unless you were running a HSF with no thermal paste before as well...

Im also not saying dont lap, im just saying your results are innacurate, which we have already established.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
I'm not saying a 22C drop is accurate, but isn't that 0 to 5% average drop for people who only lap the CPU IHS? Not both the CPU IHS AND the heatsink? I mean, leave a little room for variables. 22C is probably not possible, but I wouldn't discount about 10 to 11C drop if the user did a perfect job on all counts.

swtethan

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2005
Originally posted by: keysplayr2003
I'm not saying a 22C drop is accurate, but isn't that 0 to 5% average drop for people who only lap the CPU IHS? Not both the CPU IHS AND the heatsink? I mean, leave a little room for variables. 22C is probably not possible, but I wouldn't discount about 10 to 11C drop if the user did a perfect job on all counts.

its not going to be perfect if he only spent 1/2 hour on BOTH lappings. It takes people 1 hour+ to do great laps

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org

Maybe if youre using a rock from your lawn as a heatsink...

Contact would have to be extremely poor...

sgrinavi

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2007

its not going to be perfect if he only spent 1/2 hour on BOTH lappings. It takes people 1 hour+ to do great laps

What is with you guys?... those are the numbers and they are accurate as read. Take it or leave it. Add 15 degrees if it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy.... who cares, the point is that you can make a huge impact with very little cost of time and materials.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003

Well, I'll have to disagree there. There is no official time for lapping. And this guy only finished both CPU and HS with 1000 so you know he didn't go for the super mirror glass finish.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003

Maybe if youre using a rock from your lawn as a heatsink...

Contact would have to be extremely poor...

Maybe it was? He said himself, he had to start with 220 grit on the HS. That might mean is wasn't near as flat as it was supposed to be.

Hmmm. I'm seeing a lot of un-open minds around here. Don't forget folks, almost nothing is set in stone with PC hardware. YMMV includes ALL things.

Hauk

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2001

What is with you guys?... those are the numbers and they are accurate as read. Take it or leave it. Add 15 degrees if it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy.... who cares, the point is that you can make a huge impact with very little cost of time and materials.

Hey man, don't get bent. I'm sure I speak for many, we share your enthusiasm. Increasing performance or reducing temps in the most cost effective manner to us is like being a boy again and discovering you can get wood. It's just plain fun. :D

When you talk numbers here, you gotta be right on or you'll get dogged. I learned that and so have others...

sgrinavi

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2007
How do you fit that silver 5 syringe between the processor and the HS, mine keeps breaking...

swtethan

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2005
How do you fit that silver 5 syringe between the processor and the HS, mine keeps breaking...

you gotta freeze it first

I hope youre kidding

sgrinavi

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2007

you gotta freeze it first

I hope youre kidding

Freeze the HS & CPU or just the paste?

Can't I just use colegate? it has silver flecks in it.