LANMAN Back in the House!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Well, on modern PC's there is a significant difference in power consumption when just browsing, or actually loading the CPU/GPU 100% on all cores.

I allready spend $ 2500-3000 a year on electricity, and i do not heat or cool my house with electricity.
When your PC's on it's adding heat to your house ;).

Yes theirs quite a difference between idle & load power now, but it's not going cost you anywhere near as much as running it 24/7 (not sure why you did calculations for a 24/7 rig, unless you have plans :)).
How much more would it cost you to crunch only whilst surfing? Just a thought.

MechEng

Nov 28, 2003
When your PC's on it's adding heat to your house ;).
I have taken advantage of that during winters in the past when our central heating was less good and efficient. (Older house and so on)
Now we have gas based central heating and a woodstove, which is a LOT cheaper for heating than electricity. Unfortunately this argument also only works during the cold months :)

Yes theirs quite a difference between idle & load power now, but it's not going cost you anywhere near as much as running it 24/7 (not sure why you did calculations for a 24/7 rig, unless you have plans :)).
How much more would it cost you to crunch only whilst surfing? Just a thought.

I did those calculations to show how much a dedicated folding rig would cost me here in DK.

Folding only while surfing/working/whatever is definitely an option, but that would require me to remember to turn it on before using the PC and turning it off when I stop, otherwise my PC will not enter sleep/Hibernate mode, which annoys me to no end.

The added cost doing it that way would be acceptable though :)

Last edited: