LAN Reports 1.0Gbsp but Internet limited to 10Mbps

JoJoBoy

Nov 5, 2009
LAN Reports 1.0Gbsp but Internet limited to 10Mbps even though I have 90Mbps internet. I have reinstalled my Ethernet drivers. The other devices hooked up to the router is getting 60-100Mbps on internet speed tests.
Running - GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 with Killer™ E2200 gaming networking
Netgear R6700

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Os and driver levels plz

Iperf testing lan to lan would help

Check cabling

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Post your www.speedtest.net result.

Upload and download speed are always different.

Yeah, cable could be a problem.

Last edited:

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
I do not know how the computer is Measuring, but if it is 10MB/sec than it is OK (b=bit B=Byte).

:cool:

Reactions: PliotronX

razel

Platinum Member
May 14, 2002
It could also be your LAN cable. If it's 1000mb/s capable, then hard limits of 10mb/s, 100mb/s (actually 90-95) is often a telltale sign. Gigabit network cables and placement is more stringent and the average Joe just puts it where it's available often pulling and pinching them.

Reactions: PliotronX

PliotronX

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 1999
It could also be your LAN cable. If it's 1000mb/s capable, then hard limits of 10mb/s, 100mb/s (actually 90-95) is often a telltale sign. Gigabit network cables and placement is more stringent and the average Joe just puts it where it's available often pulling and pinching them.
True story, I had never butted heads with auto negotiation until this week where one office pc where we installed a gig switch a year ago was still showing 100Mb and I discovered the horror under the desk. The Ethernet cable between the wall jack and pc was run right in between two ac/dc adapters plugged into the wall almost like they were using them to pinch together on the cable for routing and I'm pretty sure it was in contact with the socket plate because it didn't have a face cover either. After routing the cable away from anything AC, it began negotiating at full gig. In this circumstance, auto negotiation sure did its job to avert sky high error rates lol

JoJoBoy

Nov 5, 2009
Windows 10 (64 bit) Pro --- BigFoot LAN driver 1.1.65.1357, I have tried restarting atleast 3 times.
http://www.speedtest.net/result/7106380601
it uploaded files at 48 megabytes per second to another computer on the network
it downloaded files at 2.8 megabytes per second from another computer on the network
I noticed this evening that I have an extra "Ethernet" named Leaf Networks Adapter this appears to be related to the NetGear ReadyCloud. It is showing a speed of only 10.0 Mbps and is not able to be adjusted. I removed the ReadyCloud app from my PC and restarted which also removed the Leaf Networks Adapter, but my connection speed is still what was stated above.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
What exactly is your subscription plan's upload and download speed? You said 90Mbps for download, but what's the speed for upload? Your test result is only 9.83 Mbps for download and 5.63Mbps for upload, that's weird.

Did you check your cable?

According to Netgear R6700 manual, The LED color indicates the speed: white for Gigabit Ethernet connections and amber for 100 Mbps or 10 Mbps Ethernet connections.

And in router's Advanced / Show Statistics webpage, it should tell you what connection speed is foor your PC.

it uploaded files at 48 megabytes per second to another computer on the network
it downloaded files at 2.8 megabytes per second from another computer on the network

How do you measure it? If you are copying files (we call it transferring, not uploading or downloading, since your files didn't go through WAN port) between machines on your LAN, it has nothing to do with your internet speed.

Last edited:

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
What exactly is your subscription plan's upload and download speed? You said 90Mbps for download, but what's the speed for upload? Your test result is only 9.83 Mbps for download and 5.63Mbps for upload, that's weird.

Did you check your cable?

According to Netgear R6700 manual, The LED color indicates the speed: white for Gigabit Ethernet connections and amber for 100 Mbps or 10 Mbps Ethernet connections.

And in router's Advanced / Show Statistics webpage, it should tell you what connection speed is foor your PC.

How do you measure it? If you are copying files (we call it transferring, not uploading or downloading, since your files didn't go through WAN port) between machines on your LAN, it has nothing to do with your internet speed.

It's ok to test internal lan speed for comparison.

OP, I also recently went through a problem with the free version of BitDefender A/V software crippling download speeds on a few different machines. Something to keep in mind and test is to disable antivirus or uninstall it and test again.