Lan party at work

papaschtroumpf

Mar 5, 2003
I manage a software group and wanted to organize a "Lan-party" as a way for people to bond and blow off steam. I'd get pizza, beer (don't tell HR), and people would play from their own desk computer using their desk phones in a conference for chat.

So I'm looking for a first person shooter than meets the following criteria:

- is networkable and will play with at least 12 people (I can dedicate a machine to be the server)
- is free, as I don't think finance will let me buy 15 copies of <insert shooter name>
- doesn't need installed permanently if possible (unzip and run straight from the exe preferred). again, makes it easier to deal with the It weanies complaining about unapproved software.
- doesn't need a fancy graphic card (computers are busniess Dells no more than 2 year old, so they have decent processor and OK graphic cards, but they are no gaming setups)
- is relatively easy to pick up and play for people that have little or no gaming experience.

I need to check what their specs are, but on top of my head I think Cube and Nexuiz woudl be games that qualify off the top of my head. Just looking for more suggestions.

the ability to do team death match would be a major bonus.

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
A great many games don't actually *have* to be installed. That is, you can take your installed game directory, throw it on a CD/DVD, and move it to another computer and have it play just fine. The legality of doing this for multiple people to use is questionable, of course.

I assume you have checked that sticky thread at the top of the forum. You know, the one labeled "Free PC Games" ;)

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
The free PC games thread is a good idea but that one avoids demo games. However, I recall having great fun with lots of people all playing demo games at LAN parties. It's been a long time since I've done that, though, so I can't give advice on specific titles. You just download them and go. If there are any good shooters or other games that allow network play without a time limit, those might work. A lot of them simply restrict how many weapons and maps you get.

Cheesetogo

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2005
Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory sounds like a good fit to me. Easy to run, free, and I'm pretty sure it has support for 16 players. I'm not sure if it needs to be installed.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Cheesetogo
Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory sounds like a good fit to me. Easy to run, free, and I'm pretty sure it has support for 16 players. I'm not sure if it needs to be installed.

I know it has to be installed once (to unpack everything and such), but when I got a different PC for LAN parties, I simply copied the directory over to the new PC and it worked.
And yes, there's support for at least 32 players. Plus it's a great game :)

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Quake 1 yes totaly, go through the whole game on the hardest difficoulty in co op :) so much fun

papaschtroumpf

Mar 5, 2003

I'm aware of the sticky, but I was hoping people familiar with the games could make a recommendation since I have very specific needs, for example I think Enemy Territory doesn't have a dedicated server and requires a GameSpy account to play, both of which would kill the deal for a one time work event.

I think I might go with Nexuiz, it's like a UT/quake clone, is open source and looks like it should run pretty well. graphics are nothing to write home about.

The UT2k4 demo would be another choice, if it'll run fine with the normal dedicated server.

Piuc2020

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2005
Why don't you get Marathon? I'm not sure if 12 players are supported, the engine is meant for new computers and is constantly updated so I don't think there is a limitation however I've only played with about 4-6 people at a time, it's simple but it's funny and entertaining as hell. If you don't know what Marathon is, it's a game made by Bungie from which Halo drew ALL it's inspiration from and then ruined it and unlike Halo, Marathon was actually a technical and gameplay masterpiece for it's time, the only reason people don't know much about it is because it was a MacOS exclusive title (except for some shoddy, limited and unpopular ports here and there).

http://source.bungie.org/, if multiplayer is all you are interested in (cause the game has some mean single-player as well :)) then you should get Marathon Infinity and forget about the rest.

I recommend playing keyboard only, yeah yeah that will probably be too old-school and simple for you and your co-workers (though it will be much easier for non-gamers to learn) but the level of fun is just amazing, to be honest, Marathon is one of my favorite multiplayer games (and this is not just nostalgia talking, I still play it nowadays) ever and it's already 14 years old! (though it looks pretty awesome and not as out-dated when played through Aleph One). It features the classic deathmatch but also pioneered a few types like tag (hold the man with the skull), some football variation (it would be pretty fun with 12 people) and other stuff like King of the Hill and the like.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: papaschtroumpf

I'm aware of the sticky, but I was hoping people familiar with the games could make a recommendation since I have very specific needs, for example I think Enemy Territory doesn't have a dedicated server and requires a GameSpy account to play, both of which would kill the deal for a one time work event.

Enemy Territory does indeed have a dedicated server and does not require a GameSpy account to play.

Patt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2000
Quake3 works too ... I can copy the install directory ... though I suppose legality is a question.

The Bakery

Mar 24, 2008
Edit - sorry originally recommended something outside your requirements

Phosphor may fit the bill.

It will run on integrated chipsets, is free and requires no install. Plus
it looks like they've made some updates recently.

http://www.rasterwerks.com/

From the website:

Phosphor is a first-person shooter created with Macromedia Director (links will open in new window). The Shockwave Player allows the game to run within a web browser on Windows and Mac OS computers. Both single player (with AI-controlled bots) and multiplayer (using peer-to-peer Internet or LAN connections) game modes are supported. Our goal is to create a gaming experience similar to classic FPS games like Unreal Tournament and Quake 3, but with the accessibility of a webgame.

This is the first public beta. Current development is focused on tuning bot AI and improving multiplayer performance. Future versions will include additional player models, game types, and many more maps.

Periodic updates will be available at this URL (there might even be a real website someday). In the meantime, we hope you enjoy the game.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Beer at work = a bad idea.
Someone on the way home gets in a fender bender and sues company and possibly you, company fires you.

papaschtroumpf

Mar 5, 2003
Nice suggestions people, Nexuiz, Sauerbraten and openarena are my top choices atm.
phosphor hung on me twice while I was playing around with it, otherwise it's very nice.

Sentrosi2121

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2004
If you can find it online; Tribes or Tribes2 may fit your needs. Great games and require a lot of teamwork to accomplish the goals. I'd consider it a good 'team building' game.

Smilin

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2002
Originally posted by: oldsmoboat
Beer at work = a bad idea.
Someone on the way home gets in a fender bender and sues company and possibly you, company fires you.

We have beer at work :)

A measure of responsability is definately expected though.