LAN doesn't show up in 'Network Connections'

Zoinks

Oct 11, 1999
Just installed a fresh copy on XP SP2. My LAN does not show up under the Network Connections control panel. As sure as I'm posting this, the LAN is working fine and connected to the internet. But I need to change my IP address and I have no way to get to it@#!$#!

Zoinks

Oct 11, 1999

Nothing here helped: http://www.microsoft.com/techn...cnd_utxq.mspx?mfr=true

A local area connection is automatically created for each network adapter in your computer that is detected by the Plug and Play service. After a card is physically installed, it is detected by the Plug and Play service. Network and Dial-up Connections enumerates the adapter and populates the Network and Dial-up Connections folder with a local area connection. Because local area connections are dependent upon a network card being recognized in the computer, they cannot be created by using Make New Connection .

For the adapter to be detected and the connection created, the Plug and Play service, Network and Dial-up Connections service, and Remote Procedure Call (RPC) services must be started. All of these services start automatically, no user interaction is required.

If a local area connection does not appear in the Network and Dial-up Connections, there might be several reasons:
?

The network adapter was removed. (A local area connection only appears if an adapter is detected.)
?

The installed network adapter is malfunctioning.
?

If your network adapter is a legacy adapter that is not detected by the Add New Hardware wizard or the Plug and Play service, then you might need to set up the adapter manually in Device Manager before you see a local area connection in the Network and Dial-up Connections folder.
?

If the driver is not recognized, the adapter appears in Device Manager but you cannot see a local area connection.

If your network adapter driver needs to be updated, use the Update Driver feature in the adapters properties.

If your computer has one network adapter, but you need to connect to multiple LANs (for example, when traveling to a regional office), your local area connection network components need to be reconfigured each time you connect to a different LAN. However, you do not need to restart when you change TCP/IP or other connection settings.

The Bakery

Mar 24, 2008
Also check Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager

Check for your network adapter in the list of hardware. If it's not there
(which is should positively be if you are connected) run the hardware
installation wizard which will search for and install drivers.

If it is there, you may want to try uninstalling and rebooting.

This has happened to me before, re-seating the NIC card and rebooting
solved it - but as you are already connected it is obviously installed
properly.

Hope that helps

EDIT - If you want to change your IP via command line you can use netsh
with the -f <filename> parameter.

But that's slightly more complicated.

Zoinks

Oct 11, 1999
Nope, the NIC was installed with no problems and looks ok in device manager. I uninstalled and reinstalled it with no luck. I'm using the same drivers that I was using before - which are the latest for the nvidia 650.

I found this "netsh interface ip set address name="Local Area Connection" static 192.168.0.100 255.255.255.0 192.168.0.1 1" to use netsh to manually change IP but it won't work because it doesn't recognize "Local Area Connection". Any way to use netsh to look up the network name?

Zoinks

Oct 11, 1999
Ok, this worked to manually change my IP:

netsh interface ip set address name="{09403F31-7BC8-4020-8DC3-E190A8E25174}" static 192.168.0.100 255.255.255.0 192.168.0.1 1

Does this offer any useful information? Can I rename {09403F31-7BC8-4020-8DC3-E190A8E25174} to LAN or something in the registry?