LAME Gamespots Game of the Year 2007 winner

DanTMWTMP

Lifer
Oct 7, 2001
i'm not surprised at all. It's the most unique game out of the list that brought something very refreshing to consumers.
It was also named best next-gen game by some other publication.
I forgot who it was...but some other publication gave it 11/10? lol.

CoD4 wasn't that great of a game. 7/10 at best. Just another FPS
I haven't played World in Conflict.. Just another RTS (as for RTS, Company of Heroes is quite possibly the best ever IMO)
Bioshock, although very good, is just yet another fps.
Crysis, looks ultimate awesome, but unfortunately no computer in the world can even run it so why bother...and, it's still another fps..
The Orange Box is great fun, but yet again..it's just another multiplayer FPS (although portal is extremely unique)
Rockband...hmmm, rockband should be co-winner for sure.
Halo 3. umm. NO.
Forza 2. great for race fans..nothing more.

Just saying that all these genres really do not offer anything groundbreakingly new (except for orange box and rockband)

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
I don't have a Wii, but if the rumors about that game are true (its the next-gen equivalent of Mario 64) then it is well deserving of the title.

wyvrn

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
I've played the Wii. My impression is the controller should win an award because I think it is a step in the direction of true virtual reality gaming.

However, the games are all ridiculously simple minded and the graphics suck hugely, so giving a game of the year award to any Wii games is quite a foolish choice.

DanTMWTMP

Lifer
Oct 7, 2001
Originally posted by: wyvrn
I've played the Wii. My impression is the controller should win an award because I think it is a step in the direction of true virtual reality gaming.

However, the games are all ridiculously simple minded and the graphics suck hugely, so giving a game of the year award to any Wii games is quite a foolish choice.

Zelda isn't a simple minded game. I wonder how simple minded most of the games that the OP has listed are? just point and shoot mainly no?

giving a game of the year award to any game just for its graphics is a foolish choice.

Originally posted by: Parasitic
These are rated by GameStop? They probably did it from sales number.

gamespot.

Parasitic

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2002
Oops, misread title. Fair mistake I guess, since GameSpot and GameStop are both spelled from the same letters and 8 letters long.

wyvrn

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
Originally posted by: DanTMWTMP

Zelda isn't a simple minded game. I wonder how simple minded most of the games that the OP has listed are? just point and shoot mainly no?

giving a game of the year award to any game just for its graphics is a foolish choice.

gamespot.

Graphics is a huge part of the game play experience. So is having a game other than a guy running around collecting stars. We are going to disagree here, because obviously you are a Nintendo fanboi and I am not. So I won't bother reponding back other than to say that any Wii game should not win a game of the year award. Sorry. My opinion will not change. And yes, I have played Zelda and most of the other Wii games quite extensively.

DanTMWTMP

Lifer
Oct 7, 2001

gamespot.

Graphics is a huge part of the game play experience. So is having a game other than a guy running around collecting stars. We are going to disagree here, because obviously you are a Nintendo fanboi and I am not. So I won't bother reponding back other than to say that any Wii game should not win a game of the year award. Sorry. My opinion will not change. And yes, I have played Zelda and most of the other Wii games quite extensively.

here we go again?
I don't have to say what i own and such. I agree that graphics play into a lot in immersion.

I just didn't agree with your statement in your initial reply. That argument has been beaten to hell and then back then back to hell again..then back again. I can't be bothered to reiterate it and cite examples.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000

Eh...I agree that graphics are important, but I disagree with the statement that no Wii game should win.

By that logic, one could say no 360 game should win - it's the only system that doesn't have a motion-sensing controller! What is this, the dark ages?

wyvrn

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
Originally posted by: Deeko

Eh...I agree that graphics are important, but I disagree with the statement that no Wii game should win.

By that logic, one could say no 360 game should win - it's the only system that doesn't have a motion-sensing controller! What is this, the dark ages?

Controller does not = game. Is that hard to understand?

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Originally posted by: jediphx
LOL Give me a break Super Mario Galaxy for Wii won over the following

COD 4
World in Conflict
GOW 2
Bioshock
Crysis
The Orange Box
Rockband
Halo 3
Forza Motorsports 2

http://www.gamespot.com/video/...f2007.html?sid=6184124

jediphx
Golden Member

oh my.. A Jedi w/an earier join date than me :Q

Why isnt Supreme Commander on that list?

When will Super Mario Galaxy come out for the Nintendo DS?

Epic Fail

Diamond Member
May 10, 2005

Graphic = game? I understand now.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
i'm not surprised at all. It's the most unique game out of the list that brought something very refreshing to consumers.
It was also named best next-gen game by some other publication.
I forgot who it was...but some other publication gave it 11/10? lol.

CoD4 wasn't that great of a game. 7/10 at best. Just another FPS
I haven't played World in Conflict.. Just another RTS (as for RTS, Company of Heroes is quite possibly the best ever IMO)
Bioshock, although very good, is just yet another fps.
Crysis, looks ultimate awesome, but unfortunately no computer in the world can even run it so why bother...and, it's still another fps..
The Orange Box is great fun, but yet again..it's just another multiplayer FPS (although portal is extremely unique)
Rockband...hmmm, rockband should be co-winner for sure.
Halo 3. umm. NO.
Forza 2. great for race fans..nothing more.

Just saying that all these genres really do not offer anything groundbreakingly new (except for orange box and rockband)

i have to agree. Mario Galexy is a great game. while based of some of the same ideas in years how they did it is amazing!

i didnt like Company of heroes that much. Bioshock was a good FPS but nothing ground breaking. COD4 and Crysis i do want to get when they hit the bargin bin (or if i can snag used).

they are good games. but Mario Galaxy has a lot of new stuff.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: JEDI

COD 4
World in Conflict
GOW 2
Bioshock
Crysis
The Orange Box
Rockband
Halo 3
Forza Motorsports 2

jediphx
Golden Member

oh my.. A Jedi w/an earier join date than me :Q

Why isnt Supreme Commander on that list?

When will Super Mario Galaxy come out for the Nintendo DS?

considering the nature of this forum, i'm surprised there wasn't a jedi hereon the very first day.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000

But you play the game with the controller. So if you can't use motion sensing, the game must not be very good.

I guess PS3 is the only system worthy of winning! Congrats, Uncharted! You're the undsiputed Game of the Year!

mrSHEiK124

Lifer
Mar 6, 2004

COD 4
World in Conflict
GOW 2
Bioshock
Crysis
The Orange Box
Rockband
Halo 3
Forza Motorsports 2

COD4? I'm sorry, COD2 Service Pack 2 was not interesting AT ALL. I would pick SMG over it.
World in Conflict - Never played it or even heard of it, can't talk
GOW2 - Definitely better than SMG
Bioshock - Still sitting unopened in my car, I should probably play it...
Crysis - I do believe "playability" in the literal sense should be considered. Sorry Crysis.
The Orange Box - Can't talk, haven't played it.
Rockband - Hmm, probably would've given runner up.
Halo 3 - Good game. Not game of the year material.
Forza 2 - Eh?

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: yamadakun

:laugh:

QurazyQuisp

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2003

Have you played the game? It looks amazingly good for a game on the wii, not to mention it's quite a bit more fun then all the rest on the list.

wyvrn

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
Originally posted by: yamadakun

:)

Just trolling around this morning. Don't take me too seriously. The Wii is fun to play, but I still wouldn't buy one.

Slick5150

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2001
Having just finished Super Mario Galaxy, I would say it was the most enjoyable game I played this year. I loved COD4, Bioshock, and The Orange Box as well, but SMG just felt perfect in every way.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
I was expecting Kane & Lynch to walk away with GOTY from Gamespot.