Lakers Officially Sign Malone, Payton to Contracts

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lastig21

Platinum Member
Oct 23, 2000
I am very disappointed in Malone and Payton right now. I have always disliked Malone, but enjoy watching Payton play. I think it is overly selfish that they joined the Lakers, and in a large way will demean the title that I expect the Lakers to win next season with or without them. There are several other teams that would be Championship contenders if they could acquire players as good as Payton and Malone, and joining those teams would have added excitement to the league. On any team but the Lakers, Malone and Payton would have to play their hearts out to win a championship. On the Lakers, their contribution will be insignificant and they can just ride the wave of the two greatest players in the league to their title. For as much as their championship will be worth in heart and contribution, they should just buy a ring off of Horry or Kerr and retire.

prontospyder

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Malone will wear #35 instead

"After doing some thinking about things, and I'm honored to wear Magic's 32, I also feel that out of the utmost respect [for Johnson], I don't think 32 should be taken out of the rafters," he said. "Magic's jersey should be in the rafters. For all he's done for the city, there will never be another Magic Johnson. Out of respect, I would like for his jersey to stay in the rafters."

He turned to Johnson and said, "And to tell you that you're the man. It's fun to be a part of this."

A smile drifting across his face, Malone snatched the uniform top from the table before him.

"This is my jersey, though," he said, laughing. "Thanks for the jersey. You gotta sign this one."

Link