Lakers Officially Sign Malone, Payton to Contracts

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
L.A. Times

This makes it official and discloses some contract details:

LOS ANGELES -- True to their word, future Hall of Famers Karl Malone and Gary Payton signed contracts with the Los Angeles Lakers. And they did so at just about the earliest possible moment.

Team spokesman John Black said Malone and Payton, who verbally committed to join the Lakers at discount prices last week, signed shortly after midnight EDT on Wednesday.

A moratorium on free agent signings expired Tuesday night. Beginning at 12:01 a.m., free agents were allowed to sign contracts.

Malone, the second-leading scorer in NBA history who is considered perhaps the greatest power forward ever, signed a two-year contract worth just over $3 million, Black said.

Malone, who earned $19 million last season in his 18th and final season with the Utah Jazz, will earn the veteran's exception of $1.5 million next season.

He turns 40 later this month.

Payton, five years younger, also signed a multiyear contract. He established himself as one of the NBA's finest point guards in Seattle, where he played for nearly 12 seasons before being traded to Milwaukee this past season.

The players will be introduced Thursday morning at a news conference at Staples Center.

So Malone is with the Lakers for at least two years. For some reason there's no mention of exactly what Payton is getting, but it is at least a two year deal.

Anyone know if Barry is coming to the Lakers?

Stojakapimp

Platinum Member
Jun 28, 2002
and so it begins.

but this is great...just another reason for more bandwagon fans to start liking the Lakers.

orion7144

Diamond Member
Oct 8, 2002
Well I guess I there won't be any need to watch basketball this season. Unless Kobe goes to jail.

Staples

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
Hey Evan, I have been waiting for you to put in big bold letter a signature that reads, "Lakers biggest fan." What do you say to that? It is pretty obvious.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
Originally posted by: Staples
Hey Evan, I have been waiting for you to put in big bold letter a signature that reads, "Lakers biggest fan." What do you say to that? It is pretty obvious.

No, that would be misleading. I'm an NBA fan who realizes the Lakers were lacking a lot last year and now have found exactly what they were lacking and will use those weapons for next year. If that makes me a Laker fan then, well, sue me.

prontospyder

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
wow...they sure didn't wait a minute too long huh? Glad to see Malone/Payton stick to their word even through they were aggressively pursued up until the last minute.

DarkManXY2G

Dec 4, 2000
I guess I will need a reason to watch the NBA this upcoming year. As much as I like basketballand as much as I love watching the games, I don't think I'll be very interested come playoff time. They should just give the Lackers the title right now. Oh well, there's always college basketball.

DarkManXY2G

Dec 4, 2000
Actually the more I think about i wonder how all of those egos are going to be able to coexist on one team at the same time. Payton and Malone will wnat shots too and its clear that its Kobe's and Shaq's team. Maybe by seasons end Payton and Malone will start firing up full court shots just so they can shoot the ball. I may have to watch it for this alone now...hmmm

m2kewl

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2001
yeah - lakers going to be top dogs (assume they can get along and no injuries) for some time.

Garet Jax

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2000
Assuming the Lakers will do well is not necessarily a good assumption. They now have 4 legitimate super stars and each one will need to accept getting the ball a little less. The saying "too many cooks in a kitchen" comes to mind.

The NY Rangers have been trying to solve their problem for years by throwing more money and more talent at it.

Anaheim didn't get to the finals and push NJ to 7 games because of talent.

Of all teams (with these aquisitions) the Lakers have a huge upside. The problem is that Shaq and Kobey couldn't get along with just the two of them. It will be interesting to see what happens.

BamBam215

Golden Member
Feb 17, 2000
Originally posted by: TJN23
the bandwagon is passing by....quick people, hop on!

top 10 tens things laker haters keep using to express their hatred(in no particular order):

-the game was rigged
-the lakers are arrogant
-refs are biased because they all loved the lakers
-all laker fans are bandwagon fans
-the kings should have won the 2001-2002 championship
-kobe is a rapist
-payton/malone/shaq/kobe will have an ego trip and the lakers will fail like the blazers
-duncan owns shaq
-shaq can only use his size and has no skills
-<add in your own favorite to fill out the 10th>

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
Originally posted by: BamBam215

top 10 tens things laker haters keep using to express their hatred(in no particular order):

-the game was rigged
-the lakers are arrogant
-kobe is a rapist
-payton/malone/shaq/kobe will have an ego trip and the lakers will fail like the blazers
-duncan owns shaq

Thank you for basically summerizing the LA Lakers, Players and How biased the refs are.

BamBam215

Golden Member
Feb 17, 2000
Originally posted by: isekii

-the game was rigged
-the lakers are arrogant
-kobe is a rapist
-duncan owns shaq

Thank you for basically summerizing the LA Lakers, Players and How biased the refs are.

nah, thank YOU for making it known that you're a laker hater and probably watch 1 basketball game a season.

orion7144

Diamond Member
Oct 8, 2002
But I thought they are all true! The refs aren't biased because they love the Lakers, it's because they get paid to be Biased. All the refs hate the lakers just as much as the majority of non LA/bandwagon fans

-the game was rigged
-the lakers are arrogant
-kobe is a rapist
-duncan owns shaq

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
The NBA should just stop the entire next two seasons and hand over the finals award to the Lakers lol.

orion7144

Diamond Member
Oct 8, 2002
Isn't this ashame? Just like baseball and the Yankees. I will not watch basket ball next season (unless my team is playing on TV) and I have not watched baseball for over 4 years. The "Big" buisness is doing it to themselves. They should take a look at football and see how their profit sharing and cap works. Fottball has so many competitive teams yet baseball and basketball have maybe 3 out of 30ish. Yet it's the Basketball and Baseball players that complain the most about how underpaid they are yet they are making millions of dollars. So screwwww them.

Originally posted by: Nocturnal
The NBA should just stop the entire next two seasons and hand over the finals award to the Lakers lol.