Question Laggy in Windows 11 on new laptop. Cpu at 0.18ghz

zephyrprime

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
So I bought a laptop a month ago - an HP Omen with 11800h. It worked fine until last friday. It would have crazy bad lag that would come and go. Even the audio would glitch when this happened. I then ran the HP diagnostics and they had no problem. I then reset windows (11 btw) and that had no effect.

Today I noticed that the clock speed in task manager showed that the cpu would occasionally drop down to 0.18GHz. The lagginess and glitches would exactly correspond to the times when the cpu would drop the these levels. This is while plugged in btw.

How the heck did this happen? Did some patch eff this up? But why does it still happen after a windows reset? I don't think that's right. What's the minimum clock speed this cpu is supposed to have?

This shows 1.9ghz but is that right? https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...1800h-processor-24m-cache-up-to-4-60-ghz.html

Last edited:

Hail The Brain Slug

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
It could be a faulty bios, keep checking with HP or with any automatic update software that came with the laptop in case HP rolls out an update to fix the issue. It's happened before with Dell and likely other brands.

You could also try changing the power profile to "high performance" or something that does not allow the CPU to clock down, at least as a temporary measure (it will affect battery life significantly) until HP can actually fix the issue.

You may want to follow up with HP support as they may either be unaware of the issue or need more info from users to fix it.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Had something like this on my Dell XPS 15. Windows would download updated Dell drivers that had a memory profile which would lock the CPU at 0.18Ghz. Check to see if anything from HP was recently installed.

zephyrprime

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
Hey I just wanted to update this in case any people googling stumble upon this. There is no good info on google about this sort of problem that I could find.

The problem was getting worse over time. HP sent me a restore usb drive but that was useless and had no effect. No surprise since the restore drive isn't any different than just reinstalling windows except from different media.

I sent it back to HP for warranty service. They had the laptop for over a month before I took the option for them to just buy back the laptop.

First, they tried to replace a part in it. I do not know what part it was though. Replacing that part didn't work. Then they escalated the case and tried to get another part. Howver, due to supply chain issues, they were not able to get the part yet so we'll never know if that was even the right part. I also don't know what that second part was.

Well either the motherboard or the cpu was defective in this case in my opinion but I am not certain. We'll never know for certain what the problem was since HP didn't provide much info.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Odd. Seems like a lemon for sure from the steps you performed to remedy the issue.

BIOS vs OS though when it comes to obscurities like this. Rolling back both should restore performance.