Lady who said Emmett Till whistled at her also lied about him touching her.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003

Which I never knew. I also didn't know there was a federal law made with his name in it. Apparently they can re-open cold cases decades later if there was never a successful prosecution. You may recall his killers were acquitted by their friends and neighbors. Small town.
I remember watching a documentary with clips from the 90's where a news crew tried talking to the woman at her home. Her son chased them off the property and that was the end of it, for a while. Personally I don't think it matters much. If she knew at the time or found out later that her friends killed the boy she sure as hell wasn't going to tell anyone. Maybe she'll confess it on her death bed.

And of course the republicans tried to block it.

Reactions: dank69

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
The attitude that allowed Emmitt's murders to go free still exists in the south today. That's why the defense attorneys in the Arbury case tried to eliminate all blacks from the jury and didn't want ni**er preachers in the courtroom (paraphrased)

The existing laws couldn't do anything about it even after the judge said those actions were discriminatory. But...but systemic racism doesn't exist.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
The attitude that allowed Emmitt's murders to go free still exists in the south today. That's why the defense attorneys in the Arbury case tried to eliminate all blacks from the jury and didn't want ni**er preachers in the courtroom (paraphrased)

The existing laws couldn't do anything about it even after the judge said those actions were discriminatory. But...but systemic racism doesn't exist.
More to the point IMO, the local prosecutors did not want to file charges at all. They did it only after the video surfaced. It's a complete disgrace.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
More to the point IMO, the local prosecutors did not want to file charges at all. They did it only after the video surfaced. It's a complete disgrace.
I remember that. The white men were not arrested until after the video went public. Justice sucks all over America but I think it is genuinely worse in the deep south.

Reactions: Muse and dank69

Lezunto

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2020
I was not aware that she claimed Emmett Till had touched her.

Being accused of something such as that usually warranted a terrible beating or being shot for a Black man.

While the decades old warrant has been found, I doubt it can used by today's law enforcement because most witnesses are dead.

And that's only if there is a push to finally deliver Justice.

Reactions: hal2kilo

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Germany just finished convicting another camp guard during the holocaust of war crimes. If America wanted justice, I'm sure the courts could re-issue an arrest warrant for the case. But like Arbury certain people are heavily invested in doing nothing about it if at all possible.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I was not aware that she claimed Emmett Till had touched her.

Being accused of something such as that usually warranted a terrible beating or being shot for a Black man.

While the decades old warrant has been found, I doubt it can used by today's law enforcement because most witnesses are dead.

And that's only if there is a push to finally deliver Justice.

If you can prosecute Nazis you can for this woman. Serve the warrant and impanel a grand jury. Let them decide if this should be brought to trial

Emmitt was kidnapped before he was killed and she was there

Guess why she wasn’t served back then? The sheriff said at the time he didn’t want to bother her because she had children. What kind of fucking justice is that???

She is alive so it’s not too late for the Till family to get justice

Lezunto

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2020
I agree. I know her age and health will form the basis of any pushback. If the Mossad can track down and bring to Justice aged Nazis, surely the FBI can chase down and apprehend this fugitive.

Never should those who take lives because they hate others of certain skin hue, are members of a different religion, speak another language or are from another country get away with they are accused of.

I am happy Peyton Gendron is in custody. But I wonder other hateful and vile individuals have been inspired by him?

Last edited by a moderator:

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
While I think she deserves to be prosecuted and thrown in jail, any crime they could charge her with has passed the statute of limitations. Legally, she cannot be charged. Doing so is going against the rule of law in favor of what we desire.

The reason they were able to prosecute that 101 year old Nazi guard is because they have legal precedent there which says anyone who was a guard can be charged with accessory to murder, and this charge has no SoL.

An accessory charge could not be proven here because they cannot prove that she directly encouraged or assisted the killers. It's really too bad that she wasn't charged with perjury back then. And worse still that the all white jury let the murderers off.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
While I think she deserves to be prosecuted and thrown in jail, any crime they could charge her with has passed the statute of limitations. Legally, she cannot be charged. Doing so is going against the rule of law in favor of what we desire.

The reason they were able to prosecute that 101 year old Nazi guard is because they have legal precedent there which says anyone who was a guard can be charged with accessory to murder, and this charge has no SoL.

An accessory charge could not be proven here because they cannot prove that she directly encouraged or assisted the killers. It's really too bad that she wasn't charged with perjury back then. And worse still that the all white jury let the murderers off.
There is no statute of limitation on being an accessory to murder. Knowing how black people were treated back then it was reasonable to conclude harm could come to him by making that false charge. Lynching was widely known. Also, she would have had a chance to confess to the lie in the time of his kidnapping before he was killed.

That should at least be enough to charge her. Let a jury decide.

If you push a person in a pool as a prank and they start to drown, can you claim, "I didn't know they couldn't swim"? Then if you do nothing to help the drowning person and they die you will be charged with some level of murder.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
SCOTUS does this now, so why should we think that the rest of us should work off of a different standard?

So let's all abandon the rule of law, with all that implies.

I'm not going to elaborate any further. There is no point in arguing with a totally irrational position.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
There is no statute of limitation on being an accessory to murder. Knowing how black people were treated back then it was reasonable to conclude harm could come to him by making that false charge. Lynching was widely known. Also, she would have had a chance to confess to the lie in the time of his kidnapping before he was killed.

That should at least be enough to charge her. Let a jury decide.

If you push a person in a pool as a prank and they start to drown, can you claim, "I didn't know they couldn't swim"? Then if you do nothing to help the drowning person and they die you will be charged with some level of murder.

Putting it to a jury and letting them decide is what my argument is in relation to prosecuting Trump, given that evidence of his intent is not a slam dunk. But there's evidence of such intent. Here, there isn't a shred. This is not a failure to prove intent. It's more basic than that. It's a failure to prove a single overt act that qualifies as the crime.

The basic elements the government must demonstrate to prove that a defendant was an accessory before-the-fact are: (1) someone committed the underlying crime; (2) the defendant advised and agreed, urged the parties, or in some way aided them to commit the offense; and (3) the defendant was not present when the offense was committed.

Last edited:

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Putting it to a jury and letting them decide is what my argument is in relation to prosecuting Trump, given that evidence of his intent is not a slam dunk. But there's evidence of such intent. Here, there isn't a shred. This is not a failure to prove intent. It's more basic than that. It's a failure to prove a single overt act that qualifies as the crime.

Charles Manson wasn’t present when the crimes were committed yet he was charged.

Let’s just say we disagree. I want justice for the Till family

Lezunto

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2020
I really wish Carolyn Bryant Donham could be brought to Justice. But I doubt she ever will be.

I remember cautioning about the rush to impeach Trump.

Yeah, it might feel good. But unless Trump was convicted by the Senate, it was always going to be fodder for political pundits.

If new a warrant for Donham is issued, I do not think conspiracy to commit murder can ever be proven. But I'd rather leave this up to Civil Rights Law experts and they are probably all taking the measure of this news.

Has the Southern Poverty Law Center in Montgomery, Ala., weighed in? I searched for a press release.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I really wish Carolyn Bryant Donham could be brought to Justice. But I doubt she ever will be.

I remember cautioning about the rush to impeach Trump.

Yeah, it might feel good. But unless Trump was convicted by the Senate, it was always going to be fodder for political pundits.

If new a warrant for Donham is issued, I do not think conspiracy to commit murder can ever be proven. But I'd rather leave this up to Civil Rights Law experts and they are probably all taking the measure of this news.

Has the Southern Poverty Law Center in Montgomery, Ala., weighed in? I searched for a press release.

Also the Civil Rights division of the DOJ

• Love
Reactions: Lezunto

m8d

Nov 5, 2012
If you can prosecute Nazis you can for this woman. Serve the warrant and impanel a grand jury. Let them decide if this should be brought to trial

Emmitt was kidnapped before he was killed and she was there

Guess why she wasn’t served back then? The sheriff said at the time he didn’t want to bother her because she had children. What kind of fucking justice is that???

She is alive so it’s not too late for the Till family to get justice
This is a prime example of CRT!

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
The new york post is not news. Its propaganda. So MAYBE angry people went to the senior living center, but probably not.