Kyro II experts: Infinite Loop problem

ctk1981

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2001
Im having a huge problem with the infinite loop error on my KryoII. I just recieved this card for a windows 98 box Im setting up. Currently it is in my XP box and Its not allowing me to play any games at all, no benchmarking, no 3dmarking etc.

What can I do to fix this problem? Ive heard of the infinite loop problem but thought it only applied to older geforce cards and such, didnt realize its a potential problem for all drivers/chipsets etc.

Thanks in advance!

merlocka

Platinum Member
Nov 24, 1999
The infinite loop error isn't specific to any video chipset or motherboard chipset. It seems to be a symptom of a general instability of a system.

Some things to try.

1) If your system is overclocked, resort to default settings.
2) drop memory timing to slowest.
3) reduce AGP speed from 8x to 4x or from 4x to 2x... etc
4) check that your powersupply can supply enough current on +3.3v and +5v lines
5) you mention that it's in your XP box, make sure that any traces of previous video drivers are removed

ctk1981

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2001
1) Clean install of XP recently
2) Tried reducing timings, didnt help any
3) I can only select 1x and 2x with the kyro II in there anyways
4) Not overclocked
5) Power supply is a Sparkle 400 Watt, never had a problem with the 5v or 3.3v lines

Got a link to the leaked hercules drivers? Windows update doesnt offer them to me. Tried installing some other Hercules drivers and it says basically I dont have one of there products installed so it wont go.

ctk1981

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2001
Okay, I got a fix I guess.

I took the cd out of the apollo box and installed the drivers off of that. I was using the newest Reference drivers. The apollo drivers appear to be nothing more than an older set of reference drivers....works perfectly now. Im going to try and update the drivers once again and use the newest reference..but Im thinking the drivers that are working now are gonna stay on since they work.

3DMARK2000: 4569

I have no clue if thats even remotely good or not, im just happy its working now. Later on its off to tweak it, see if I can overclock it a bit also. Had a set of tweakmonster tin coated ramsinks laying around, slapped those on first thing and a bigger alpha heatsink with new fan. Looks pretty sharp must admit.

Hmm..and to think, come tuesday I'll be pulling the kyro II and reformatting again, but then I'll be sticking the FIC Radeon 9700 in it instead.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

holdencommodore

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2000
I don't think there is another link to the new drivers yet, they aren't officially released on the PowerVR site yet.

I'm getting a score of 6797 in 3d Mark 2000 http://service.madonion.com/compare?2k=2383803 and 3377 in 3d mark 2001 on my Athlon XP 1600+ at 1.46 GHz (XP 1700+), Kyro II (PowerColour) running at 182MHz. I used to get about 4500 points in 3d Mark 2000 with my Duron 800 rig.

Cheers

LegionX

Jul 10, 2000
well i have a MSI 648 Max and had a ati 9700 in it and had constant loops. finally put my older Hercules Kyro2 in it and have yet to have one. i have read that other cards have the problem but not as frequently as i had with the 9700.

Like i said though my kyro2 is working great so i really dont know whats going on with your system. have you tried the card on another comp or another card on yours?

ctk1981

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2001
Ive had a ATI Radeon 8500 in it before the format, also a ATI Rage 128 Pro at one time. Right now after the clean format the kyro is the only one thats been in there. The old drivers seem to be working fine.

This is the first time ive ever experience the infinite loop error with any cards. I think theres just some small conflict in the newer drivers thats causing this, no biggie. Hopefully they release the newest drivers and my problems are fixed.