Kumho Tires

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KevinH

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2000
Originally posted by: randomlinh
buddy like's the MX's... going to put those one next summer

MX's are fantatsic. They compare very favorably to tires within their performance class: yokohama neova, bridgestone re-050 etc etc. There tread wear won't be too hot but th at's the price you pay for performance :). I know plenty of Auto-Xer's that're running MX's at the track.

KevinH

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2000
Originally posted by: kevman
if you're looking for a bargain tire for a decent price, I'd suggest sumitomo over Kumho's

bother are very good, but Sumitomo is much better in wet/rainy conditions then Kumhos'

You can't make that blanket statement about tires. Ever. You need to compare tires within their own performance category and that's on a model by model basis.

Like my previous post, it depends entirely on the specific Kumho in question. ASX model that people have been throwing out are a superb all weather tire. MX on the other hand is a high performance summer tire that, although tolerable in the rain, isn't its forte.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Originally posted by: J0hnny
You know what I'm surprised with, the quality of Hankook tires. Compared to my firestones, the Hankook's are a world of difference.

Yeah, I got Hankook tires as well. They work great, but aren't all that hot in snow.

mwmorph

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2004
Originally posted by: KevinH
if you're looking for a bargain tire for a decent price, I'd suggest sumitomo over Kumho's

bother are very good, but Sumitomo is much better in wet/rainy conditions then Kumhos'

You can't make that blanket statement about tires. Ever. You need to compare tires within their own performance category and that's on a model by model basis.

Like my previous post, it depends entirely on the specific Kumho in question. ASX model that people have been throwing out are a superb all weather tire. MX on the other hand is a high performance summer tire that, although tolerable in the rain, isn't its forte.

Maybe its just my car then? In wet in my 2.4l lowe output auto Camry, i can easily spin the tires with say half of 2/3 throttle opening.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: mwmorph

Maybe its just my car then? In wet in my 2.4l lowe output auto Camry, i can easily spin the tires with say half of 2/3 throttle opening.

Why would you need to apply 2/3 throttle to a Camry from a stop in the wet?

mwmorph

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2004
Originally posted by: NFS4

to keep up with traffic, i usually use 1/2 throttle, sometimes 2/3, The Camry is probably a 10 second 0-60 car(I think around that) and keeping up with even suvs are not easy.

TheAdvocate

Platinum Member
Mar 7, 2005
Has anyone ever seen/used/heard of Falken ZIEX ZE-329 tires?

A friend and some scattered web links suggested that it was rated as the #1 tire by Consumer Reports. But very few places carry it and I can't confirm the rating. Thinking about getting a set.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

to keep up with traffic, i usually use 1/2 throttle, sometimes 2/3, The Camry is probably a 10 second 0-60 car(I think around that) and keeping up with even suvs are not easy.

But from a stop, 2/3 throttle isn't necessary at all. Especially in the rain. I had a '95 Camry LE 4-banger and I never had to use more than about 1/4 throttle (and probably less) to pull away from a stop at a decent clip in the city. Hell, in my Mazda3, I just tap the gas and I'm flying.

Now once you're moving, I could easily see you pushing 2/3 throttle to keep up with traffic, but I still don't understand how that would be enough to spin the tires unless you frantically stomped on the gas (which doesn't make sense in the rain anyway).

mwmorph

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2004

But from a stop, 2/3 throttle isn't necessary at all. Especially in the rain. I had a '95 Camry LE 4-banger and I never had to use more than about 1/4 throttle (and probably less) to pull away from a stop at a decent clip in the city. Hell, in my Mazda3, I just tap the gas and I'm flying.

Now once you're moving, I could easily see you pushing 2/3 throttle to keep up with traffic, but I still don't understand how that would be enough to spin the tires unless you frantically stomped on the gas (which doesn't make sense in the rain anyway).

Hmm, ive never had problems with the speed of my throttle tip in but then again, ive never driven a FWD car before this(FR with Trac and MR).

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
I had kumho's escta 751 or something ... I thought they were inferior to the Yoko AVS's when new...but the Yoko's developed severe road noise around 5k miles.

Both sets lasted around 10-12k miles.

I currently just sprung for Goodyear F1 GS-D3's...these have been night and day different that both previous tires.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Just ordered the ASX's from TireRack. Can't wait to get 'em. I'm sick and tired of the road noise with my RSAs

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Got my Kumhos installed today. Night and day difference with ride/road noise compared to the craptastic RS-As

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Got my Kumhos installed today. Night and day difference with ride/road noise compared to the craptastic RS-As

Nice. How do they handle?

The AST's I have were just too unresponsive than I'm used to. I've taken to running them at 40psi, which makes them quite a bit more responsive, but a hell of a lot rougher, and a bit less stable.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: BD2003

The AST's I have were just too unresponsive than I'm used to. I've taken to running them at 40psi, which makes them quite a bit more responsive, but a hell of a lot rougher, and a bit less stable.

Haven't had a chance to really push them yet, but initial testing seems rather good. I'll try harder tomorrow :D

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Haven't had a chance to really push them yet, but initial testing seems rather good. I'll try harder tomorrow :D

I'd def recommend tweaking the tire pressure to your liking within a few PSI. But I'm thinking 40 PSI is a bit much for a small car. A funny thing happened to me the other day, probably having to do with jacking the pressure up.

The driveway to my friends house is this absurd hill. I swear its got to be damn near 60 degrees, maybe more. It's so hard to get up this hill with a manual tranny without stalling that I usually come in at 6000 rpm in 1st gear and try to get up as far as I can while still maintaining control. I practically have to go full throttle just to maintain the rpm. When traffic was backed up and I didnt have enough speed when I got to the driveway, I have to drop the clutch at 4000 to even have a chance at getting up this damn hill...its like driving the vehicles in BF2. And first gear in 6000 rpm on a steep, dirty hill in a small car is like a rodeo ride.

So I misjudged, and didnt get in far enough, so I had to move up a few more feet so the guy behind me could get through. As soon as you let off the brake, you start dropping like a rock on this damn hill. So naturally, I rev the ****** out of it, since thats my only choice unless I want to fall back out into a 55mph two lane highway. And this is a dusty, dirty hill. The lack of the traction due to the dirt, combined with the high pressure not helping at all, I ended up pulling a totally sweet stationary burnout in his driveway, and probably burned a good thousand miles off my front tires, just to move up about 6 inches.

So if you've got any hills like that near you, be a little more conservative. I'll prob drop to 38 ro so, but its definitely a noticible difference with some more air in there.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001

Seems way too much pressure. What vehicle?

Probably responsive because you are riding a concave tire...

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
If some of you are just looking for a decent commuter tire with some performance, the Sumitomo HTR200's I have had on my wife's car for 1.5 sets now have been really good and are cheap.

They don't compare to my Eagle F1's, but I also bought all four of her's for about the price of one of mine. She has 195/60R15 I think...I think the stock was 185/65 but oddly the wider tire (it sit's the same height so the speedometer is perfect) was cheaper at $43 at the time.

They wear well, are quiet, handle decent in the rain (we get a lot here), and are a good dry tire as well. They are also comfortable on bad roads.

Å

cherrytwist

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2000
Originally posted by: theNEOone
i bought some kumho's 225/45/18 to replace my michelin pilot sports. i can't complain about the tires, especially considering i saved $520 on the set.

=|

I did the same thing :)

Except mine are 225/40/18.

DougK62

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2001
I've had both the Ecsta 711 and the Ecsta 712. Not bad for the money, but I sure couldn't push them like I could other tires in their class.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001

I don't have snow in Florida and don't travel in my car...so I speak of really no live experience with all-seasons.

However, the ASX is a great bang for buck tire. (I am not sure if there is a AST though so I may be off-topic here for BD's post).

You are going to give up somethings for snow performance, but the ASX is a decent performer even in the summer tire range. Getting better bang for buck is hard to find in a performance snow tire.

Most people really are better off spending money on basic tires though. I know a lot of guys that have spent way more than me on tires for their mid-5 figure+ "sports cars", yet have SUV's overtaking them coming off a red light and once when going to lunch with one...no crap, he literally came to an almost complete stop to turn into the plaza...it was a mild turn-in (I can't remember the car exactly....it was either a mid 90's vette or BMW M3).

I take a route off the beaten path home from work each day. It's not unusual for my to lose traction in the rear at least once along the way in a corner, once I am turbo-charged then perhaps more in straightlines too ;). To me that is driving though.

Tremulant

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2004
Originally posted by: JeffreyLebowski
I know they are far superior to Continental tires. I had Conti's on my 02 Spec V and the wet weather traction was horrendous. I upgraded to the Kumhos which are cheaper and they were far better.

My Altima came with Conti's. They are terrible. If I hit the gas hard enough at about 30-35 MPH, I can peel out. Everyone who I've spoken to with those tires, hates them.

I changed them out for some Turanza LS-V's and it's a world of difference. They're not performance tires, but they're so much better than the OEM rubber.

Tremulant

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2004
Originally posted by: alkemyst

I don't have snow in Florida and don't travel in my car...so I speak of really no live experience with all-seasons.

However, the ASX is a great bang for buck tire. (I am not sure if there is a AST though so I may be off-topic here for BD's post).

You are going to give up somethings for snow performance, but the ASX is a decent performer even in the summer tire range. Getting better bang for buck is hard to find in a performance snow tire.

Most people really are better off spending money on basic tires though. I know a lot of guys that have spent way more than me on tires for their mid-5 figure+ "sports cars", yet have SUV's overtaking them coming off a red light and once when going to lunch with one...no crap, he literally came to an almost complete stop to turn into the plaza...it was a mild turn-in (I can't remember the car exactly....it was either a mid 90's vette or BMW M3).

I take a route off the beaten path home from work each day. It's not unusual for my to lose traction in the rear at least once along the way in a corner, once I am turbo-charged then perhaps more in straightlines too ;). To me that is driving though.

Is the 240sx your daily driver?

I'd still like a 240sx, but I don't think I'll be getting one.

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: alkemyst

Seems way too much pressure. What vehicle?

Probably responsive because you are riding a concave tire...

It is most definitely way too much pressure. Well outside the range of sensibility, but well under the range of max pressure.