KOTOR II - is it any good?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zekey

Aug 16, 2005
Going to chime in here and second what many others have said- the story is pretty sweet up until the ending, the gameplay is a little bit better, and the characters are just a little dull. There are some really, really cool moments in it (especially if lightsabers and jedi get you all jazzed up) which would be a shame to miss if you haven't experienced them yet.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
I actually liked KOTOR II better than the first one. It takes a unique angle for a Star Wars game. Deals heavily with the philosophy of the Jedi and Sith, and paints the universe to be far less black and white than other SW works make it out to be.

The problem with KOTOR II is that it was released in an unfinished state. That accounts for plot holes and storylines that go nowhere. Obsidian still did an excellent job considering. If you've played the Mass Effect series, it reminds me a lot like ME2. I really think Knights deserved a proper trilogy. Not the MMO.

MrWizzard

Platinum Member
Mar 24, 2002
I actually liked KOTOR II better than the first one. It takes a unique angle for a Star Wars game. Deals heavily with the philosophy of the Jedi and Sith, and paints the universe to be far less black and white than other SW works make it out to be.

The problem with KOTOR II is that it was released in an unfinished state. That accounts for plot holes and storylines that go nowhere. Obsidian still did an excellent job considering. If you've played the Mass Effect series, it reminds me a lot like ME2. I really think Knights deserved a proper trilogy. Not the MMO.

Pretty much this.....Kotor 2 to me had better game play and made me feel more part of the game. But the ending....left me going "what?!" Still worth playing at least 1x though.

Aug 11, 2008
the funny thing is, with all the games with poor or unfinished endings in the gaming universe, ME3 is the one that gets the Forbes article. WTH?

Well, many of the other games with "poor" endings were not the finale of a trilogy in which people had invested so much time and money. Additionally, Bioware themselves hyped the third game endlessly as the culmination of the choices you made in the 3 games, while in reality the ending was pretty much the same no matter what you did.

silvan4now

Oct 4, 2011
for a fan of the series it is the perfect game. taste could differ from consumer to consumer i think!

Ichigo

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2005
KoToR II's philosophy regarding Jedi vs. Sith, light side vs dark side puts George Lucas' version to shame (light side good... dark side bad...duhhh).

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
I remember leveling up to a certain point and it just wasn’t much fun after that. I could “force lightning” and kill everything in the area, and sometimes in adjoining rooms. I grinded to the end just to finish the story and got.. well what everyone complained about . After the first game, this one was such a letdown, but on the plus side it didn’t have a whiny conscience that goes running into the woods if you go dark side. Still wish they would have let me kill him in the first game.

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
I remember leveling up to a certain point and it just wasn’t much fun after that. I could “force lightning” and kill everything in the area, and sometimes in adjoining rooms. I grinded to the end just to finish the story and got.. well what everyone complained about . After the first game, this one was such a letdown, but on the plus side it didn’t have a whiny conscience that goes running into the woods if you go dark side. Still wish they would have let me kill him in the first game.

This I agree with.

I had to force myself to stop using Force Wave because it made everything too easy. Way overpowered.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
This I agree with.

I had to force myself to stop using Force Wave because it made everything too easy. Way overpowered.

Was that the light side power? I remember they both had some overpowered ablility but couldn't remember the light side.

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
Yeah, it was the light side equivilent. Once you got powerful enough you could basically mow through any number of enemies in a few shots.

Hammyton

Jul 9, 2002
Like someone said before definitely get the community-made Mod's that help flesh out the plot.

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006
Yeah, it was the light side equivilent. Once you got powerful enough you could basically mow through any number of enemies in a few shots.

Isn't that the way it should be? None of this nambi-pambi "Fair and balanced". Gotta love a game that makes your Avatar truely Godlike. Particularly a Jedi. :)

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003

No it wasnt, it was a neutral power. All the direct damage stuff was neutral or dark, except stun droid which of course, only worked on droids.

Keeper

Mar 9, 2005
In some parts it's not as good as the original but pretty good game overall.

If you say KOTOR I is a 10/10 i'd give KOTOR II 8/10.

You'll find plenty of complaints about it but I beleive that's largely due to how the plot / length of the game went.

My thoughts exact... I am starting to think its me.
ME1 COULDNT put it down.
ME2 Meh
Kotor SEE Above.
Fable 2 (To 3) see above.