KotOR II help...is this possible?

ManBearPig

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2000
Alright, so I want to play this game on my laptop with the crappy Intel GPU. This game will NOT run with a no-cd crack or altered .exe on an Intel chipset (integrated GPU), so I am obviously using the CD.

I would ordinarily patch it to be WS, but that wont work because it alters the .exe and makes it not work (since I have a crap Intel integrated GPU). Is there any way I can at least like, stretch it a little so there are only bars on the side? Right now i'm dealing with black bars all around lol. My native resolution is 1440x900.

Thanks for any advice guys!

rivan

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2003
I've been playing a run on that mod; it's excellent and does indeed provide widescreen support.

I'm not sure just how crappy your laptop is, but mine's fairly crappy (discrete gpu, but almost 5 years old) running it just fine at 1920x1200. It's not an especially demanding game - I think the average model's got about 3 polygons :p

Edit: I LIED! The mod doesn't add widescreen that I can see. I'm running at 1600x1200. Sorry!

Last edited:

ManBearPig

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2000
It does provide widescreen support?! I'm running it and don't see that anywhere. :( It is crappy enough that even I can run it fine like you said haha...'cept it's just a square in the middle of my screen. :(

pathos

Aug 12, 2009
It does provide widescreen support?! I'm running it and don't see that anywhere. :( It is crappy enough that even I can run it fine like you said haha...'cept it's just a square in the middle of my screen. :(

I haven't tried that patch in particular, but most of the ones I HAVE tried (baldur's gate and such) don't give you options in the middle of the game to change to widescreen. You have to type out what resolution you want while you are installing the mod itself.

If the kotor 2 mod works like those, you'd probably need to re install the widescreen mod itself, and tell it the resolution you want to run at while installing.

I'll let someone who's actually used the mod before tell you if I'm actually right or not though :p

Clinkster

Aug 5, 2009
Slightly off topic, but is this game fun? I remember playing light side a long while ago and being disappointed with the ending, can't recall why...

ManBearPig

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2000
Its still an awesome game. I think the problem was that it wasnt quite as complete (way more rushed) than KotOR 1, so it seemed like the ending was a let down. Apparently this mod (TSLRCM 1.8.1) fixes a lot and makes it much better and more complete.

Anyone know if I can use GPU options to like...stretch it somehow? This is so annoying!

I had a great idea to just output it to an old 4:3 monitor, BUT I CANT FIND A VGA TO VGA CABLE! fmllllllllllllllllllllllllll!

Last edited:

qliveur

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2007
KotOR 2 supports 1280x768 natively. Just change the width and height values under both [Display Options] and [Graphics Options] in the swkotor2.ini file. Your GPU can scale it up from there.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Slightly off topic, but is this game fun? I remember playing light side a long while ago and being disappointed with the ending, can't recall why...

Cuz it fucking sucks, thats why!

Get the restoration mod above. It fixes a lot of messed up stuff.

Aug 11, 2008

Probably the worst ending ever, until Mass Effect 3 at least. No real closure at all, and if I recall correctly, the game just ends very suddenly. I remember just sitting there thinking, I played 50 hours building up my character and party for this??

The main portion of the game is very fun though, although the opening and closing portions are not close to the quality of the first game. The gameplay itself is much like the first game but with some added features such as trying to train you party members to be jedi and more crafting than the first game. The story though, is very muddled and the love/hate the force thing is never really resolved.

I was hoping at least the muddled ending would be cleared up in KOTOR 3, along with what happened to Revan, but we know how that worked out dont we?

Aug 11, 2008
Its still an awesome game. I think the problem was that it wasnt quite as complete (way more rushed) than KotOR 1, so it seemed like the ending was a let down. Apparently this mod (TSLRCM 1.8.1) fixes a lot and makes it much better and more complete.

Anyone know if I can use GPU options to like...stretch it somehow? This is so annoying!

I had a great idea to just output it to an old 4:3 monitor, BUT I CANT FIND A VGA TO VGA CABLE! fmllllllllllllllllllllllllll!

Use 2 VGA to DVI adapters? I dont see why that would not work.

ManBearPig

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2000
Should I save my levels before becoming a jedi or specializing or whatever (its been a while) like was advised in KotOR I?

Thanks!

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Should I save my levels before becoming a jedi or specializing or whatever (its been a while) like was advised in KotOR I?

Thanks!

Nope, you start off as a jedi so it aint needed.
HOWEVER, make sure you suck up to Kreia and when you hit level 14 talk to her. She will give you the option to add on a prestige class.

ManBearPig

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2000
Do portraits and characters change with light side/dark side points? I used KSE to change my portrait and appearance, but dont remember if in KotOR II the characters and their portraits change as they become good or evil. I think it looks alright, but want to be sure that using KSE to change them didnt mess anything up. I'm thinking it just applies the general portraits and appearances and then the game changes it based on how good or evil you are.

qliveur

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2007
Sorry to dredge this thread up again, but you ought to see if the new crack for the Collection DVD version (available at GameCopyWorld) will run on your Intel chipset. I've just discovered that the UniWS utility will successfully patch it to widescreen, and that it will even work with the original CD version of the game (make sure you patch it first). All you need to do then is put the appropriate HUD file in the override folder (both UniWS and the HUD files are available at the Widescreen Gaming Forum).

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Sorry to dredge this thread up again, but you ought to see if the new crack for the Collection DVD version (available at GameCopyWorld) will run on your Intel chipset. I've just discovered that the UniWS utility will successfully patch it to widescreen, and that it will even work with the original CD version of the game (make sure you patch it first). All you need to do then is put the appropriate HUD file in the override folder (both UniWS and the HUD files are available at the Widescreen Gaming Forum).

:woot:

ManBearPig

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2000
OMFG! I tried everything (including your advice qliveur) a while ago, and nothing worked. Well, after i read your reply, I tried it again and, although that particular crack didnt work, another one (that i had already tried) did work!

Now im in full widescreen glory. FML, i played a lot of the game in like bordered widescreen or stretched widescreen so it was either small or blurry. Now Im in heaven! Yayyyyyyyyyy....i dunno why it worked! Thanks all!

ManBearPig

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2000
OMG! AND i can even take out my CD drive and not use the CD and have it continually load up! Why is all this goodness happening to me!?

Edit: wait, nm, it wont load new areas lol. FML.

Last edited:

qliveur

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2007
After more testing I can now confirm that the Collection DVD crack runs on an Intel GPU, even after being patched by UniWS. :awe:

To clarify, you want the v2.2.0.0 crack by FiGHTCLUB, and you'll need to put both the swkotor2.exe and the swkotor2.bak files in the game's main folder.

Last edited:

ManBearPig

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2000
Q, you are the fucking man! That worked! I will add, though, that you need to either have a DVD/cd/whatever drive in or use daemon tools or similar program to make a virtual drive. Ill post this at the other forums later, though I doubt many people have this problem.

ManBearPig

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2000
That is weird. I'd love to not have to have daemon tools running but it's not a big deal. Ill see if I can figure it out.

qliveur

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2007
Well, I do have the shortcut on my desktop targeted at the swkotor2.exe file directly and set to run as an admin, if that makes any difference.

I don't think that this new crack needs to be set to run in XP SP2 compatibility mode, and, since it's updated, maybe it shouldn't be.

ManBearPig

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2000
So far I have no problems. The exe shortcut issue seems to have gone away. The only problem that remains is I need to have a real or virtual DVD drive in to play. Thx again Q.