[Korea Times] Samsung making 14 nm GPUs for Nvidia

Mondozei

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2013
And in news that should surprise nobody, we now have it confirmed that Nvidia is going the route of Samsung, skipping past TSMC.

It's Korea Times that has broken the news.

It's almost certainly going to be Pascal.

P.S. Sweclockers broke news a few weeks ago that Nvidia had confirmed in their financial documents that they are no longer exclusive with TSMC, but this new report states that one GPU is going to be built minimum so we're not just talking about Tegra here.

5150Joker

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2002
www.techinferno.com
This should be interesting, I wonder if this will move up the time table for the 14nm GPU releases for both AMD and NVIDIA? The less they rely on TSMC the better. Did you catch the part about the deal only being worth "a few million"? Could just be a small scale test roll out with Samsung.

Techhog

Platinum Member
Sep 11, 2013
So, this basically confirms that the AMD purchase rumors are false, correct?

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
this new report states that one GPU is going to be built minimum so we're not just talking about Tegra here.

Given that most of Samsung's foundry work ends up in mobile devices or similar, I didn't think that Samsung even had a high-performance lithography setup. A low-power node is just fine for nVidia if they're looking to manufacture the next Tegra, which should include Pascal, but unless there's some high performance variant coming (and I can't find anything online to indicate that there is), I don't see Samsung manufacturing the GPUs for dedicated video cards.