Kodak to cease digital camera production this year

dougp

Diamond Member
May 3, 2002
I know someone posted something about the bankruptcy filing, but figured I'd throw this out here:

Source - Engadget
This year has not been a kind one for Kodak. Last month, the photography pioneer announced that it was filing for bankruptcy (and suing Samsung, incidentally), and now the company has let it be known that it will be dropping out of the digital camera business -- and then some -- marking an end to its line of digital point-and-shoots, pocket camcorders and digital photo frames. Production will end the first half of this year. The future for the company will hold printers, brand licensing, enterprise services and photo labs. Kodak will continue to honor warranties on existing products, however.

I know they don't have the best quality cameras, but I still liked them. It's interesting they will still use brand licensing, so I wonder if one of the "lesser" manufacturers will attempt to utilize the brand name for recognition.

Leymenaide

Feb 16, 2010
I lived in Rochester from 79-96. Kodak treated the community very well. Everybody I knew had a family member at Kodak. I feel for them.

sixone

Lifer
May 3, 2004
My first few digicams were Kodak, and I loved them. Unfortunately, Canon has left them behind, in terms of IQ and options.

Sad to see this happen. :(

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
My first few digicams were Kodak, and I loved them. Unfortunately, Canon has left them behind, in terms of IQ and options.

Sad to see this happen. :(

canon and the rest of japan left kodak behind in the 1930s. other than some gems to come out of their german division, the company has sold nothing but cheap as can be cameras and in the last 50-60 years intentionally tried again and again to screw consumers by convincing them that less film for more money was somehow good.

Leymenaide

Feb 16, 2010
canon and the rest of japan left kodak behind in the 1930s. other than some gems to come out of their german division, the company has sold nothing but cheap as can be cameras and in the last 50-60 years intentionally tried again and again to screw consumers by convincing them that less film for more money was somehow good.

Kodak was not Nikon, Minolta, Hasselblad or Leica. They did not try to be. They sold film, film processing and the chemicals that go with film processing. The cheap cameras kept the film flowing out the door and the processing profits rolling in. Ectachrome was the last high quality professional – serious amateur film. It was mostly replace by Fuji products in the 80’s. By the late 80’s my customers did not want to see Kodak negatives for publication. I had to shoot Fuji. Kodak put snapshots into everyone’s hands. They treated employees well and took care of the region. They funded the local volunteer fire departments and almost any community project an employee applied for. They used their industrial might to help the little guy in Rochester. Small companies were quietly helped with water quality compliance. Rochester had the highest per capita exports in the country during the 80’s. The local international knowledge and resources helped me develop my international trade. The old Kodak is not gone. Eastman Chemical was split of in the 80’s and is still going strong.