Kobe - Sgt Bookem and Takemaway

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

josphII

Banned
Nov 24, 2001
If she was a 30 year old nba groupie standing outside Staples center I might agree, but this girl doesn't sound like she has that sort of malicious intent. You think a 19-year old living with her parents wants to get her shot at fame by being known as Kobe's 1-night stand? I don't.

she knowingly goes into a married mans hotel room at 11:30 at night. enough said. best case scenario shes a slutty whore. worst case scenario shes an attention grabbing slutty whore. either way unless theres some very serious bruising on her body i cant possibly see a conviction.

josphII

Banned
Nov 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Gaard
the reason tyson was convicted and that kobe will NOT be convicted is that people want/wanted to believe that tyson was/is a rapist.

Yeah, I'm sure that's the reason. ;)

actually ive seen interviews where lawyers say the reason tyson was convicted was his legal team was wholeheartedly incompetent. about as good as master p was as ricky williams agent if you know what i mean.

stormbv

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2000
No, Kobe, No!! :(

I wonder if they'll have his trial on CourtTV. Kobe should get Johnny Cochrane to defend him.

austin316

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2001
He doesn't have Cochran. On SportsCenter @ 6:00 they announced his defense team. From ESPN.com "The names of defense counsel Pamela Mackey and Hal Haddon, and Fifth Judicial District Attorney Mark Hurlbert will be front-and-center in the Kobe Bryant case as it moves through the legal system. Hurlbert is a Dartmouth grad who grew up in neighboring Summit County, Colo. This is his biggest test as a prosecutor. Mackey, 46, received her law degree from George Washington University.

She was once a public defender in Eagle County, where the case is likely to be tried. Since then, she has represented a number of big names, including Colorado Avalanche goaltender Patrick Roy in a domestic violence case involving his wife in 2001. It was dismissed.

Among her other cases: A 1995 trial of DEA agent Mark Dietze, who was convicted of threatening to kill the owner of a bar during a drinking binge, and Jeane Newmaker, who was accused of negligent child abuse after her 10-year-old daughter (who was adopted) died during rebirthing therapy. Newmaker pleaded guilty and was ordered to undergo counseling, but didn't go to jail.

Most recently, she is representing an English skier in a civil case where a man was killed at Breckenridge Ski Resort. Hurlbert declined to fine criminal charges in the matter.

Haddon, 62, is a graduate of Duke Law School. He is a former federal public defender and ran Gary Hart's senatorial campaign in 1974.

He represented John and Patricia Ramsey in the killing of their daughter, JonBenet.

He's also represented author (and Page 2 contributor) Hunter S. Thompson in a 1990 drug possession, explosives and sexual assault case. Thompson wasn't convicted.

"Hal is a very, very smart guy, and he's very hardworking and a very thorough guy as well as being [good] in the courtroom," Thomas Ragonetti, a land-use attorney in Denver who is familiar with Haddon's work, told the Register. "If I or one of my loved ones ever had a need for criminal defense, there's only one person I'd go to: Hal Haddon."

Hurlbert, a former assistant district attorney promoted by the governor in December. He grew up in neighboring Summit County.

He went to Dartmouth and the University of Colorado Law School.

He earns $67,000 per year.

"This is an important case for his reputation," Eagle attorney Jim Fahrenholtz told the Orange County Register. "I'm sure he [Hurlbert] wants to cover all his bases before his next decision, especially against that kind of defense team. Certainly, we don't want to be portrayed as a hick town with an Andy-from-Mayberry police department who jumped the gun."

All have defended celebrities before, and of course, all have won those trials. Haddon defended the 'rents of Jon Benet Ramsey

austin316

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2001
and oh yeah. I was wondering if anyone has links to information about the girl. such as the american idol thing, her boyfriend, vacation, bb groupie, her name, :camera:'s, etc. I am unable to find any info about her.

Spac3d

Banned
Jul 3, 2001
What ever happened to "Innocent until proven guilty"?

It sure has seem to have lost its meaning in the US

Desslok

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Spac3d
What ever happened to "Innocent until proven guilty"? It sure has seem to have lost its meaning in the US

What ever happened to not having a woman that is not your wife in your hotel room?

Shantanu

Banned
Feb 6, 2001
Well, if nothing else I just hope that we can all agree that these people are fvcking assholes, and they don't deserve the hero worship millions of America's kids and sadly many adults give them.

jagr10

Golden Member
Jan 21, 2001
You guys make it sound like this is a big deal. In professional sports it's not. You have women who want to get rich quick so they throw themselves at these big name players. Alot of them cheat on their wives, but are lucky not to have someone throw an assault charge back at 'em.
I bet this 19 yr old threw herself at Kobe, he was too tempted, and after the dirty deed was done she went straight to the police. I bet she planned the whole thing. I'm sure alot of money will make her happy again!

friedpie

Oct 1, 2002
What ever happened to "Innocent until proven guilty"?

It sure has seem to have lost its meaning in the US

Innocent until proven guilty is for juries, not the public.

LeeTJ

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2003
Originally posted by: Desslok
What ever happened to "Innocent until proven guilty"? It sure has seem to have lost its meaning in the US

What ever happened to not having a woman that is not your wife in your hotel room?

so??

adultry is not the same as sexual assualt.

gar598

Golden Member
Mar 25, 2001
I wonder if there is something included in the prenumptual agreement regarding situations such as these (adultery). I don't see why his wife wouldn't want a divorce. hmm

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001
Cause she just had a kid with him, probably loves him, needs a man, likes the lifestyle she is now accustom to.

On a side note

I doubt highly if Kobe would have ever said he had sex with the 19yo girl if he wasn't charged. Notice the timing here folks as soon asa he was charged he started an offensive but before that he admitted nothing. Now that he is being charged and since he knows they will find his DNA in her only then does he say he is guilty of adultry but nothing more. Looks and sounds creepy to me.

OK now breaking news the victom OD'ed on pills a month prior and was under mental anguish recently. FNC for Orange county Register

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
It looks like miss goody two shoes character is very flaky. Sounds like a real loop job. People who try to commit suicide are usually looking for attention. Hmm what better way to get some than this.

ON a side note it kinda makes you wonder how stupid Kobe is. He doesn't know this girl and it sounds like he had unprotected sex with her. And now it sounds like she has some real serious mental problems. Man Kobe may get off, but boy he is really a dummy. Maybe he should have went to college. LOL

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
Originally posted by: EXman
Cause she just had a kid with him, probably loves him, needs a man, likes the lifestyle she is now accustom to.

On a side note

I doubt highly if Kobe would have ever said he had sex with the 19yo girl if he wasn't charged. Notice the timing here folks as soon asa he was charged he started an offensive but before that he admitted nothing. Now that he is being charged and since he knows they will find his DNA in her only then does he say he is guilty of adultry but nothing more. Looks and sounds creepy to me.

OK now breaking news the victom OD'ed on pills a month prior and was under mental anguish recently. FNC for Orange county Register

LINK PLEASE!

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
I don't understand why he would bang another ugly ass hoe like her? His wife is beautiful. I mean haven't they only been going out for a year or two? I mean c'mon, ugly white hoe, or beautiful latina? Beautiful latina for one hundred, Alex!

NogginBoink

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Originally posted by: jagr10
You guys make it sound like this is a big deal. In professional sports it's not. You have women who want to get rich quick so they throw themselves at these big name players. Alot of them cheat on their wives, but are lucky not to have someone throw an assault charge back at 'em.
I bet this 19 yr old threw herself at Kobe, he was too tempted, and after the dirty deed was done she went straight to the police. I bet she planned the whole thing. I'm sure alot of money will make her happy again!

You do realize that a criminal case is not going to send a dime of money to the victim, don't you?

BruinEd03

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Nocturnal
Originally posted by: EXman

On a side note

LINK PLEASE!

go to www.ocregister.com you have to register to read the article but i'll cut + paste it here for the people that don't want to:

Bryant's accuser had dark secret
Woman alleging sex assault had recently overdosed amid her anguish, friends say.

By HEATHER LOURIE and MARCIA C. SMITH
The Orange County Register

EAGLE, COLO ? Everyone here knew her as the popular Eagle Valley Senior High School cheerleader springing with vibrant spirit and sweet smiles, as the beautiful singer always ready to perform in school musicals with the clearest voice and the strongest heart.

But her close friends have been doggedly protecting a secret in the unnerving days since the 19-year-old woman accused Los Angeles Lakers All-Star Kobe Bryant of forcing her to have sex with him - a secret that Bryant's attorneys could use to undermine her credibility, legal experts say.

Two months before the woman went to the Eagle County Sheriff's Department on July 1 alleging that Bryant had sexually assaulted her, the woman suffered under such mental anguish that she overdosed on pills and was rushed to a hospital, her friends told The Orange County Register.

"I think it was just a cry for help," said Lindsey McKinney, 18, who lived at the woman's house in May, when the woman took the pills.

The Register is not identifying the woman because of the sensitive nature of the case.

McKinney was visiting other friends when, about 2 a.m. one day, she learned from the woman's ex-boyfriend that the woman had "overdosed."

McKinney rushed to the woman's Eagle home and found the woman incoherent, lethargic and seemingly drunk.

"I was scared. She wasn't really talking at all," McKinney said. "I was like, ' you need to open your eyes.' "

Moments later, the woman's parents awoke and called 911. An ambulance responded and took the woman to a hospital, McKinney said.

Some friends said they thought the overdose was an accident. Not McKinney.

"I don't think it was accidental. I was there," McKinney said.

The police dispatch call that night is currently sealed from the public by investigators. The Register's request for the records is the subject of legal action.

Legal experts say an overdose and the woman's apparent mental instability could undermine her credibility in what is bound to be a trial of character, pitting a young, small-town woman against a popular big-city basketball hero who makes more than $11 million a year selling his wholesome image.

"This is powerful evidence and the answer to the defense's prayers," said Robert Pugsley, a criminal law professor at Southwestern University School of Law in Los Angeles.

The defense attorneys are "looking for a way to demonstrate that this woman is hysterical and over-reactive," Pugsley said. "This is literally dynamite evidence, a bonanza for the defense and a landmine for prosecution."

Pugsley said this kind of evidence, if exploited by the defense, could be enough to stop the case before it reaches trial.

"(Bryant's defense attorneys) could say that her interpretation of the events is at total odds with what really occurred, which was an act of mutual intercourse."

Another legal expert said this information could cause the prosecutor to worry.

"Emotional instability is always of great concern when you are evaluating a witness's credibility," said Paul Meyer, a former Orange County homicide prosecutor and criminal defense attorney.

District Attorney Mark Hurlbert, who charged Bryant with one count of a Class 3 felony sexual assault Friday, was unavailable for comment Saturday night.

The woman's father declined to comment Saturday.

According to the complaint, Bryant, 24, of Newport Coast forced the woman to have sex with him June 30 at the Lodge and Spa at Cordillera, where the woman worked at the front desk and where Bryant had been a guest from June 30 to July 2.

On Friday, Bryant publicly admitted that he committed adultery with the woman but said he is innocent of assault. His attorneys could not be reached for comment Saturday.

The woman's friends said her difficult year doesn't mean she lied about the alleged sexual assault.

"I know she had been going through a lot, but I know that she wouldn't lie," said Ashley Scriver, 19, of Eagle, who also acknowledges the overdose.

Friends of the woman say she was distraught to have returned home from her freshman year at the University of Northern Colorado at Greeley to discover that her ex-boyfriend - her high-school sweetheart - had begun dating another woman.

"There just seems like there is a lot of things going wrong in her life," said Tyson Ivie, 18, a classmate, who called the overdose "a big secret" that friends have been unwilling to talk about until now.

"The police station is holding back information about her," he said.

Around the same time of her overdose, the woman mourned the loss of a close friend, Nicole Clements, 18, who had rolled her Chevy truck over in Burns, Colo., while returning from Red Canyon High School graduation June 1.

"She was going through a lot, but she was strong," said Nicole McDonough, an Eagle Valley Senior High schoolmate and neighbor of the woman.

"It was kind of boom, boom, boom," McKinney said, feeling compassion for her friend.

"I think the things that happened to her in the past had a lot to do with what (she said) happened that night."

That night, that is, that forever changed the lives of a young woman and a basketball superstar.

-Ed

Rufio

Banned
Mar 18, 2003
Originally posted by: Ylen13
Text

Reportedly this suicide attempt is going to be a big big help with the defense team.

it don't matter he is still guilty as charged

our very own Anandtech lawyer here folks!!
rolleye.gif

Ylen13

Banned
Sep 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Rufio
Text

Reportedly this suicide attempt is going to be a big big help with the defense team.

rolleye.gif

lol i never claimed to be a lawyer or even play one on tv just hate seeing superstars getting off easy just because they are superstars

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Rufio
Originally posted by: Nocturnal Text Reportedly this suicide attempt is going to be a big big help with the defense team.
rolleye.gif
lol i never claimed to be a lawyer or even play one on tv just hate seeing superstars getting off easy just because they are superstars

thats fine but is COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT to this situation. There's no f'n way he raped her.

You want to hang him because OJ got off or something? please do this country a favor and don't ever become a juror.