KN8 SLI with Opty 165 = headache; which 939 mb?

jv

Nov 16, 2000
I have had issues trying to get my Opy 165 above a 20% overclock. The chip is kept (Zalman Water) cooled but I feel another motherboard a bit better at overclocking would inable the thing to fly.

If you've know anyone with this combo that has worked out better please let me know and if you can suggest a better 939/SLI motherboard please inform me of what to look at. I've got good cooling and memory but the motherboard always locks up and resets the bios or has to be manually reset!

thanks for your time,

jv

JSFLY

Golden Member
Mar 24, 2006
DFI Lanparty NF4 Ultra is I believe the best platform for OCing your Opteron 165.

HereHowever I believe that mobo would be incompatible with your Kingston ram.

Noubourne

Dec 15, 2003
An Abit board is keeping you from getting more than 200Mhz overclock? I sort of doubt that.

Those boards (your board is a KN8 by the way, NOT a K8N which is made by MSI) are known to do up to 340Mhz FSB, which with a 10x multi on your 170, would be 3.4Ghz. Your chip won't do that speed, so your board is not the bottleneck.

What temps are you getting?
What cooling are you using?
What voltage is your chip set at?
What kind of RAM do you have?
What divider are you using?

Use an overclocking guide, or tell us the steps you have taken to determine that you can only get a 200Mhz overclock.

If you have determined that you can only get a 200Mhz overclock, then what is the Max FSB of your board? You should know this, because if you were following any basic OC guide you would have determined your max FSB long before you tried to overclock the chip.

LordGestle

Jan 2, 2001
Abit AN8-SLI and AN832-SLI both running opteron 165s. One at 2700 and the other 2400 only because of the CPU stepping.
I agree with the other posters. I doubt the poor overclocking is due to your board.

Quick Configuration Try/Check:
300mhz to CPU
8X multi
3X LDT
DDR 266 (your memory will be at PC3200 with that combo)
Give that a whirl.

hectorsm

Jan 6, 2005
I have not heard of an Opty 165 topping out at 2.2GHz. I doubt is the CPU either. It should go higher than that.

Check the stability of your RAM. What's the amps on your 12V rail?

DasFox

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
Originally posted by: jv
I have had issues trying to get my Opy 165 above a 20% overclock. The chip is kept (Zalman Water) cooled but I feel another motherboard a bit better at overclocking would inable the thing to fly.

If you've know anyone with this combo that has worked out better please let me know and if you can suggest a better 939/SLI motherboard please inform me of what to look at. I've got good cooling and memory but the motherboard always locks up and resets the bios or has to be manually reset!

thanks for your time,

jv

The board isn't the problem, even a Opty 165 with a crappy stepping will at least hit 2.5-2.6

You need to learn how to overclock, now granted there are better boards for doing an OC, such as DFI Lanparty Expert, but that Abit will do pretty good, I should know I run one. ;)