Klipsch Promedia 5.1 $199.99

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AMDBOY

Mar 25, 2001
Thanks for the headsup. By the the time you add up repair cost, S&H, & sales tax, heck your just about right back at $400. I was tryin to think (pessimist/optomist) gambling really. If they go bad in the next two years bummer. But; if so , hey, maybe the replacements will have 2 more years of R&D behind them and be the "new and improved" version. Oh, wait a minute. They already ARE trying to sell us that. I forgot. These are the "ULTRA", lol.

vtohthree

Apr 18, 2005
Originally posted by: AMDBOY
Thanks for the headsup. By the the time you add up repair cost, S&H, & sales tax, heck your just about right back at $400. I was tryin to think (pessimist/optomist) gambling really. If they go bad in the next two years bummer. But; if so , hey, maybe the replacements will have 2 more years of R&D behind them and be the "new and improved" version. Oh, wait a minute. They already ARE trying to sell us that. I forgot. These are the "ULTRA", lol.

Haha, that's the thing, it's a conspiracy, they R&D them to break every 2-4 years so you'll have to buy another set of speakers...of course it'll work against them since you may never want to buy from them again, =P

Like they say, "they don't make things the way they used to..."

P.S. I'm only kidding...incase someone tries to take me seriously.lol...the forums these days..

PSUPef2k

Mar 1, 2006
Originally posted by: AMDBOY

Regardless, I still think this is a good deal. Can't wait to hook them up. I'm debating whether to wait for my machine to be complete later this month or hook them up now, just to my onboard sound.

On second thought, I'll wait for the new machine with x-fi extreme music card (got that at best buy also for $99) to experience the true awesomeness. Hopefully they work. I guess I will need to order my new pc and have it built within the next 30 days to test these bad boys out.

burney

Mar 17, 2006
if i had the space would have got these ..hmm maybe should have bought and sold these on ebay, these used to around $500 2 yrs back,

mensa

Feb 2, 2001
Pay with your american express gold card and get double the factory warranty up to one year. It breaks, you call amex and tell them whats not working, they tell you to wait a week, they either reimburse you the full amount or replace/fix what you have for free. They are more apt to just send you the money. It saved me 350 after my canon died one week after the factory warranty expired.

Just an FYI.

I am going to buy these Klipsch if I can find them at a local store.

AMDBOY

Mar 25, 2001
You know, I was wondering about that before I bought. I checked the Klipsch website for warranty. It said something about the retailer honoring the warranty(BB). Then it said if the retailer is unable to repair or not equipped to repair or something , they would warranty the item. But just of note: Best buy explicitely stated a 1 year warranty on these speakers. The Klipsch website said 5yrs. on some items; AND IF THE ITEM was electronic, and HAD AN AMPLIFIER the warranty was only 2 years. Now which is it? 1 year like BB says or two on Klipsch website. Maybe I missed something?

Adrenaline

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2005
I was thinking about getting these, have the 2.1 but have read numerous reviews to where the z-5500 seem a bit better overal, plus they have a digital signal cable for the sound, which is a huge plus for me.

PSUPef2k

Mar 1, 2006
From Klipsch's website regarding warranty:

http://www.klipsch.com/customerservice/warranty_detail.aspx?category=Promedia

MULTIMEDIA (PROMEDIA) WARRANTY
U.S. AND CANADA

KLIPSCH, LLC ("KLIPSCH") warrants this product to be free from defects in materials and workmanship (subject to the terms set forth below) for a period of one (1) year from the date of purchase. During the warranty period, KLIPSCH will repair or replace (at KLIPSCH's option) this product or any defective parts. Proof of purchase in the form of a bill of sale or receipted invoice from an authorized dealer, which is evidence that this product is within the warranty period, must be presented or included to obtain warranty service.

This warranty does not cover damage due to misuse, abuse, negligence, acts of God, accident, commercial use or modification of, or to any part of this product. This warranty does not cover damage due to improper operation, maintenance or installation, or attempted repair by anyone other than KLIPSCH or someone authorized by KLIPSCH to do warranty work. Any unauthorized repairs will void this warranty. This warranty does not cover product sold AS IS or WITH ALL FAULTS. This warranty is invalid if the factory applied serial number or date stamp has been altered or removed from this product.

This Warranty is only valid for the original purchaser and will automatically terminate prior to expiration if this product is sold or otherwise transferred to another party.

REPAIRS OR REPLACEMENTS AS PROVIDED UNDER THIS WARRANTY ARE THE EXCLUSIVE REMEDY OF THE CONSUMER. KLIPSCH SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES FOR BREACH OF ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTY ON THIS PRODUCT. EXCEPT TO THE EXTENT PROHIBITED BY LAW, THIS WARRANTY IS EXCLUSIVE AND IN LIEU OF ALL OTHER EXPRESS AND IMPLIED WARRANTIES WHATSOEVER, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PRACTICAL PURPOSE.

Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages or implied warranties so the above exclusions may not apply to every customer. This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may have other rights which vary from State to State.

To obtain warranty service, please follow these directions:

If you purchased this product from a retail store, please return this product to such store in its original packaging along with proof of purchase.
If you purchased this product from a computer manufacturer, please contact that manufacturer.
For purchases made through www.klipsch.com, please call KLIPSCH Customer Service at 1-888-554-5665. Product may only be returned to KLIPSCH after a Return Authorization number has been obtained from KLIPSCH.
Returned product must be shipped, freight prepaid to KLIPSCH in either its original packaging or packaging affording an equal degree of protection along with proof of purchase.

OUTSIDE THE U.S. AND CANADA

The warranty on this product if it is sold to a consumer outside of the United States or Canada shall comply with applicable law and shall be the sole responsibility of the distributor that supplied this product. To obtain any applicable warranty service, please contact the dealer from which you purchased this product, or the distributor that supplied this product.

Lipservice

Oct 17, 2001
Nebraska Furniture Mart here in Omaha had these for on closeout for $169.99 2 months ago. My daughter and I each got a set. They sound great!

DeltaQ

Nov 18, 2001
Sold out online, will the local Best Buy match the online price or was the special price onliine only?
I have a couple of stores near by whom still have it in stock.
Will these be any better than my Home theather setup? (Klipsch KSB-1.1 SC-1)
I know the sub would be an upgrade from the 80W Yamaha im using but its a small crammed bedroom :)

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: $pade
i placed an order but then cancel it because of the high failure rate mentioned by uses on newegg. Unless the latest batch of Ultra 5.1 have their quality issues worked out, i would only order them with some kind of extended warranty plan.

Klipsch has always had quality problems with their Pro Medias. I've had 2 sets of Pro Media 4.1's and my bro had the same set. The amp in both of my sets fried and my bro lost a speaker. All 3 sets got the 'Klipsch scratchy volume knob' symptom shortly after installation. They sound decent but are pricey and don't last.

1ucid

Mar 6, 2003
Score. I think my amp just blew. Today was the first day I hooked them up too. I just turned my PC on and heard an awful screeching noise and now the speakers do not work. The headphone jack on the control box works though.

Two big thumbs down for a defective product.

AsianriceX

Golden Member
Dec 30, 2001
I believe the amp problems usually stem from the BASH amp they used for the 4.1 and 5.1 systems. Unfortunate since they really sounded good.

I personally had a 2.1 Promedia set (Doesn't use BASH) that lasted me for ~4 years until the right channel started to crap out. I've since upgraded to Klipsch's iFi 2.1 system and am debating whether or not to spend the 40 bucks to have Klipsch fix the 2.1 PMs.

PSUPef2k

Mar 1, 2006
Originally posted by: 1ucid
Score. I think my amp just blew. Today was the first day I hooked them up too. I just turned my PC on and heard an awful screeching noise and now the speakers do not work. The headphone jack on the control box works though.

Did you get them through this deal? If that is the case maybe I should return them and get the logitech Z5500s

1ucid

Mar 6, 2003
Originally posted by: PSUPef2k

Did you get them through this deal? If that is the case maybe I should return them and get the logitech Z5500s

Yes.

Synth3t1c

May 31, 2005
most stores are out of them; if theres one thats far away but still on the list when u check store availability, chances are that a district warehouse still has em. even if one doesn't you can try -
ask if it is customer fufillable; free shipping directly to u, but if ur not there it will be dropped off. u can get it shipped to the store too. just ask, it wont hurt

PSUPef2k

Mar 1, 2006
Originally posted by: PSUPef2k

Yes.

Take them back then.

PSUPef2k

Mar 1, 2006
So I have decided to take these back and get a set of speakers I will be able to depend on. Too many issues with these to justify keeping them an paying for costly repairs over the next several years. So what should I get now? Was thinking about the Logitech Z-5500 model. The only thing is, it doesn't use standard speaker wire and I am worried about the cables being long enough for where I want to mount my rear speakers. Are there extender cables that can be purchased so that I may play the rear speakers where I want them? Does it affect the signal noticably? Thanks in advance.

intogamer

Lifer
Dec 5, 2004
Two of my local stores have it. But are the bestbuy.com online inventory for Local stores accurate?

Still debating if it is worth it? I have thin walls :(