Klipsch ProMedia 4.1 & X-Fi Titanium HD hookup?

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
Howdy folks,

So I bought a new X-Fi Titanium HD sound card thinking it would use 'normal' PC connections. I thought wrong!

My Klipsch has 2 TRS outputs, one for sound and the other for the sub. The X-Fi has a L & R RCA style inputs.

Anyone know how I can make this work?

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
Return the X-Fi and buy a real sound card? :awe:

If you don't want to do that, the X-Fi should have come with a RCA L&R to 3.5mm TRS cable. I don't think that the ProMedia 4.1 has a separate LFE input, I believe the two inputs are for front L&R and rear L&R.

kalrith

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2005
mfenn's correct on the input. My Promedia 4.1 has a green plug for the front speakers and a pink plug for the rear speakers. There's nothing separate for the sub.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
Return the X-Fi and buy a real sound card? :awe:

If you don't want to do that, the X-Fi should have come with a RCA L&R to 3.5mm TRS cable. I don't think that the ProMedia 4.1 has a separate LFE input, I believe the two inputs are for front L&R and rear L&R.

I think restocking fees and shipping will kill me :) Plus I really love the X-Fi sound in BF3.

Yeah it didn't come with those adaptors. I'll try to dig up the manual - it's been a long time since I bought the Klipsch so maybe I recalled wrong that the green cable was for the sub.

kalrith

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2005
The Klipsch 5.1 came with 3 cables: 1 for front L/R, 1 for rear L/R, 1 for center/sub. The Klipsch 4.1 only has the first two with no separate plug for the sub.

It makes sense if you think about it. A 3.5mm stereo cable can only send two channels. So, if one cable were for the sub and one were for the 4 speakers, then it would be sending 2 signals for 4 speakers. If that were the case, then when the speaker test says "Front Left", you'd hear it in two different speakers.

A quick test would be to plug in one cable and do a speaker test, then plug in the other cable and do the speaker test. I'm pretty sure that only 2 channels would work for each test, but the sub would work for both tests.

I have the v2.400 Promedia. If you have a later version, then yours could be different; although I doubt they put the sub on one cable and all 4 speakers on the other :)

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
The Klipsch 5.1 came with 3 cables: 1 for front L/R, 1 for rear L/R, 1 for center/sub. The Klipsch 4.1 only has the first two with no separate plug for the sub.

It makes sense if you think about it. A 3.5mm stereo cable can only send two channels. So, if one cable were for the sub and one were for the 4 speakers, then it would be sending 2 signals for 4 speakers. If that were the case, then when the speaker test says "Front Left", you'd hear it in two different speakers.

A quick test would be to plug in one cable and do a speaker test, then plug in the other cable and do the speaker test. I'm pretty sure that only 2 channels would work for each test, but the sub would work for both tests.

I have the v2.400 Promedia. If you have a later version, then yours could be different; although I doubt they put the sub on one cable and all 4 speakers on the other :)

It does make sense, I just have/had it stuck in my head that the green input was for the sub and the purple for the speakers. Plus a thread like this: http://forums.creative.com/showthread.php?t=578395 didn't help much along with not having any adapters to try it out.

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
It does make sense, I just have/had it stuck in my head that the green input was for the sub and the purple for the speakers. Plus a thread like this: http://forums.creative.com/showthread.php?t=578395 didn't help much along with not having any adapters to try it out.

Since you didn't get one in the box, here's the adapter you want. Luckily, this kind of adapter isn't anything special, you can probably find one at Walmart, Radio Shack, or Best Buy.