KKK vendor fights to sell his racist goods

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: Lazy8s
Originally posted by: mugs
It is unfortunate this guy gets any business but I think he should be allowed to sell it so long as he is not promoting violence.

I would be tickled pink if this rev. brought the guy to court to throw him out only to get slapped with a racial discrimination case. I think that's the angle the store owner should take is racial discrimination. If he wasn't an empowered white man this opressive black man wouldn't be throwing him out. It's worked for blacks for years, why not for white people?

You really think the reverend is "discriminating" against this guy because of his race? :confused:

Would the rev be kicking him out if it were a Black Panther? Yeah, I think the rev is only kicking him out because he is racist towards blacks and the rev is black. That would be racism from the rev. Hell, the rev even says it in the article! Even if I don't believe it and I'm just saying this to cause debate I think the old guy ought to try it as a defense.

Kicking someone out of your property because they are racist is not racial discrimination.

Originally posted by: HardcoreRobot
hes a symptom of the problem, not the problem

if anything, his business does society a service to show that there is still progress to be made

It really is amazing to me that the guy has managed to stay in business.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
It really is amazing to me that the guy has managed to stay in business.

He probably has a website to go with his business.

That's what I figured.

Sqube

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2004
If you've got a goddamned contract that says he can run his store until he drops dead, then you can fuck right off.

Picket him, hold protests outside of his store, do whatever you want within the confines of the law. If they manage to get him shut down because they don't like the content of his message, the guy who owns the building deserves to get his nuts kicked through the top of his head.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Nitemare
yes and people have a right to hold a sign saying don't buy from inbred retarded bigots

Why did this have to be in the South? well at least it's south of me.

QFT...if his business succeeds then obviously some of the people want it.

The US is getting less and less free everyday.

The guy from Nickelback takes a lot of heat about himself and had a great quote "If my music really fuvks up your day that much, change the fcking station already." (paraphrase)

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
How did I know before entering this thread what your stance was Moshquerade?

Aug 23, 2000
It is unfortunate this guy gets any business but I think he should be allowed to sell it so long as he is not promoting violence.

I would be tickled pink if this rev. brought the guy to court to throw him out only to get slapped with a racial discrimination case. I think that's the angle the store owner should take is racial discrimination. If he wasn't an empowered white man this opressive black man wouldn't be throwing him out. It's worked for blacks for years, why not for white people?

You really think the reverend is "discriminating" against this guy because of his race? :confused:

Prove he isn't. The guy has as much right to say White Power, as blacks have the right to say Black Power. I see black guys with t-shirts that say Black Power or Proud to be Black, but a white guy wearing something that says White Power or Proud to be White is automatically a racist.

This case has everything to do with race. I don't promote the stuff the guy is selling, but he has the right to sell it and if he has a legal document saying he can operate there until he dies, then the Rev is SOL. If the Church inherited the building, they inherited the legal binding agreements of the building. Just like me or you inheriting a house, we still have to pay taxes on it.

Aug 23, 2000
Originally posted by: alkemyst

I have to agree with this statement. The U.S. version of democracy is no longer about majority rule, it's about what group will yell the loudest in a crowded room.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Legally they can't do anything.
He isn't breaking any laws unless he specifically incites violence.

The owner can't remove him unless he is breaking the contract terms.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Originally posted by: JeffreyLebowski

Prove he isn't. The guy has as much right to say White Power, as blacks have the right to say Black Power. I see black guys with t-shirts that say Black Power or Proud to be Black, but a white guy wearing something that says White Power or Proud to be White is automatically a racist.

This case has everything to do with race. I don't promote the stuff the guy is selling, but he has the right to sell it and if he has a legal document saying he can operate there until he dies, then the Rev is SOL. If the Church inherited the building, they inherited the legal binding agreements of the building. Just like me or you inheriting a house, we still have to pay taxes on it.

You do know about the history of the KKK and their positions on non-whites?

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: alkemyst

I have to agree with this statement. The U.S. version of democracy is no longer about majority rule, it's about what group will yell the loudest in a crowded room.

I'll agree with you to a point, but I also would have no qualms in seeing anyone get their ass kicked for expressing their freedom of speech, hopefully the other witnesses will suffer from temporary blindness as well.

Really disagree with the Reverend on getting the Dixie flag removed from the SC Capitol building, but would really have no problems with the Lauren town council passing an ordinance to prohibit the wearing and distribution of KKK paraphernalia.

Dixie-rebel flag != hate
nooses, t-shirts with racial epitaphs and klan gear != hate

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Originally posted by: PlatinumGold
he has the right to sell his goods. the property owner has the right to say, sale of such good will devalue my property so i will kick you out.

??? I didn't know that would be in violation of a lease. I suppose if there are other stores in the building, than possibly.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
I'm more concerned about the fact that he actually has customers.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003

How can I prove he isn't? :confused: Why should I need to prove he isn't when there is no reason to believe he is? I know the guy has a right to sell the stuff, and if his life-long agreement holds up in court then I agree that the reverend is SOL. It simply amazes me that you people are accusing this reverend of being a racist for wanting to kick a racist off his property. :confused: ATOT never ceases to disappoint me.

Apr 17, 2005

bitch, are you retarded?

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
If anyone needs to be kicked in the nuts, it is the agents/lawyers for the Reverend/Church.

If they missed this part of the contract where he was entitled to run his business until he dies when they signed it, it is no one's fault but their own. One would think they would check this out before signing the contract.

Funny how they are trying to put the blame where it does not belong.

I definitely do not agree with the crap this guy sells, but he does a right to sell it..

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
As long as it comes to no *direct* harm to others, I think a person has every right to sell what he wants. Being biracial myself, I've received many scornful remarks from both white and black people, but it doesn't bother me. On the contrary, I can laugh a little to myself cause I know I'm better than them. Let people buy his goods. It just lets me know which people to stay away from ^_^.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
The reverand should set up a camera in the store with a webcast to show and identify all his customers to the public. I hope these racist stores never disappear as long as there are racists. That way we can identify them.