KJV Debate

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Netopia

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

<< I disagree, the discussion is whether or not the KJV is the verbally inspired, providentially preserved word of God in the english language. >>

Without the extreme of detail used so far... in simple terms.... please tell us where you see that the KJV is "...providentially preserved word of God in the english language." I would think that for you to make this statement, as a Christian, would require you to be able to provide either scripture which says this or some special revelation from God. If you cannot provide one of those two things, then it would appear that your belief is simply your belief and nothing more factual.

I like the openness that Athanasius shows when he admits that he believes that the KJV is the best English translation, but not the only translation and not a translation that is without the need for a lot of improving.

Allow me to ask you a question.... If I change a word in the KJV, is it any longer the KJV?.... is it somehow now not providentially preserved? The reason I ask is that the KJV uses the word kine. While kine was fine in its day, the word is now out of circulation and archaic. If I printed a new version of the Bible and used the modern word "cows" instead of "kine", is it your belief that the new version with this singular change that makes it more understandable with NO change in meaning, would in fact be BAD and a worse Bible than the KJV that uses a word that most readers wouldn't understand?

I'd really like a specific answer to this question..... modern words which have EXACTLY the same meaning as archaic words... do they "corrupt" the KJV?

Joe

petrek

Apr 11, 2001
Polgara, God says "ALL scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness" 2Timothy 3:16 (capitols added)

The modern versions numbering over 100 challenge and change the very doctrines given by God (your use of a gender neutral creator). The KJV has remained unchanged (aside from change noted above wherein the "u" was changed to "v") since it was first translated in 1611.

I believe in a God that is all powerful, all knowing, and all seeing, a God which has no problem ensuring the existance of a providentially preserved, fully infallible, verbally inspired Bible in the english language which can be trusted 100% in matters of doctrine, correction, reproof, and instruction. The others believe in a inerrant non-existing original, that "only" 1.3 - 10 % of the Bible is unknown, beliefs which I CAN NOT RATIONALY ACCEPT given the stature of the author (THE LORD GOD ALMIGHTY, THE CREATOR OF HEAVEN AND EARTH)

For me believing the KJV is the Providentially preserved, verbally inspired, entirely infallible word of God in the english language is the ONLY rational thing to do considering it's author.
Dave

Rio Rebel

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

<< Polgara, God says "ALL scripture is given by inspiration of God and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, and for instruction in righteousness" 2Timothy 3:16 >>

Even if you ignore the circularity of this as "proof" (which all fundamentalists do), this is almost hilarious in its "reasoning". Given the *fact* that there WAS NO New Testament at the time this was written, how could it possibly be referring to the Bible in its present form? The most you can claim with this verse is that it refers to the scripture that was around at the time it was written. To try and use this to claim that it refers to books that had not even been written is remarkable.

Thank God (literally) that the King James version of the Bible is not the Alpha and Omega of all religious understanding.

By the way, in the four Gospels, there are literally 4 separate accounts of who was present at the tomb when it was discovered empty. One account says there was a man, another says there was an angel, a third says two men, and the fourth says two angels.

It's so, so much easier to accept that our language (including all books, including the Bible) is limited in its ability to express Truth. God has done, and NOT done, many things that we do not understand, and to cling to the belief that God has protected the KJV Bible as inerrant and infallible is simply unnecessary and false.

I'd rather spend my time trying to know and understand God, than apologetics of the book that points to Him.

petrek

Apr 11, 2001
"Without the extreme of detail used so far... in simple terms.... please tell us where you see that the KJV is "...providentially preserved word of God in the english language." I would think that for you to make this statement, as a Christian, would require you to be able to provide either scripture which says this or some special revelation from God. If you cannot provide one of those two things, then it would appear that your belief is simply your belief and nothing more factual."

"ALL scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness" 2 Timothy 3:16 (capitols added)

"Allow me to ask you a question.... If I change a word in the KJV, is it any longer the KJV?.... is it somehow now not providentially preserved? The reason I ask is that the KJV uses the word kine. While kine was fine in its day, the word is now out of circulation and archaic. If I printed a new version of the Bible and used the modern word "cows" instead of "kine", is it your belief that the new version with this singular change that makes it more understandable with NO change in meaning, would in fact be BAD and a worse Bible than the KJV that uses a word that most readers wouldn't understand?

I'd really like a specific answer to this question..... modern words which have EXACTLY the same meaning as archaic words... do they "corrupt" the KJV?"

A word that is EXACTLY the same would be the SAME word. You understand "kine" to mean "cow" and so I don't see your argument. Consider this: A Christian's purpose is to know and obey God, the average person spends 12 years in school, reads countless books, watches countless hours of satanically inspired television, spends hours on a computer and complains about having to learn the meaning of a few words so that he can better understand Christ. Prayerfully ask Christ what he thinks of your "concern" and I dare say don't be surprised that you kindled His anger.

Dave

Athanasius

Nov 16, 1999
petrek:

Your reasoning is simply flawed. God has preserved His word. To suggest that he has preserved an infallible English translation is not the same thing. Has he preserved an infallible Latin translation, or classical Greek translation? What about those who have no Bible in their original language?

His word is his revelation of himself. Did God preserve his word to the early church? Those first several generations of believers did not even have the entire Bible that we have today. Did they feel like God had not preserved His word?

When the Book of Deuteronomy (in the original Hebrew no less) was lost for however many decades or centuries and rediscovered by King Josiah, had God failed to preserve His word? Human access to a perfect Scripture is not the same as God's preservation of his word.

Netopia

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
petrek,

I believe that you are sincere, but you really need to take a step back and look at what you are saying and how much faith you put not in God but in the KJV. I agree with you that many liberal translations are more or less trash, but you seem to throw the good out with the bad.

What I'm about to say, I don't say to be mean, but as I read through this thread, much or your response has the same flavor of Jehovah's Witnesses when pressed into talking about the Watchtower Society. There is a fervor about the Watchtower which simply doesn't let JW's look at it with an objective viewpoint. The same seems to be true about you and the KJV.

<< You understand "kine" to mean "cow" and so I don't see your argument. >>

No, actually I know that kine means cowS, not cow. But the point is that you evaded the question. I asked:

• ...modern words which have EXACTLY the same meaning as archaic words...

you misquoted me as saying something different when you responded with:

• A word that is EXACTLY the same would be the SAME word.

You are totally evading the issue. Would a modern word with the EXACT SAME MEANING used in a translation change the scripture to something that is not of God? I think you are going to have a hard time with this one and I don't think you are going to be able to defend you position if you answer "Yes". So... will you give a plain and simple answer and your reasoning as to why that specific set of words (kine -vs- cows) in English would make any difference when both mean the plural of cow.

<< A Christian's purpose is to know and obey God, the average person spends 12 years in school, reads countless books, watches countless hours of satanically inspired television, spends hours on a computer and complains about having to learn the meaning of a few words so that he can better understand Christ. Prayerfully ask Christ what he thinks of your "concern" and I dare say don't be surprised that you kindled His anger. >>

That last paragraph verged on angering me. Did it ever occur to you that the Scripture does its greatest work in the hands of AN UNBELIEVER? That many people over the years have picked up the Bible and looked at it and have said "I don't understand that stuff" and walked away because it was written in archaic language? Do you REALLY think that God is more interested in keeping the words "thee" and "thou" from being translated "you" than He is in getting the Good News into the hearts and minds of as many people as possible? Even worse, you seem to think that Christ will become ANGERY over someone questioning the KJV!!! I believe that the following piece of Scripture is something you need to ponder:

• 2KI 18:1 In the third year of Hoshea son of Elah king of Israel, Hezekiah son of Ahaz king of Judah began to reign. 2 He was twenty-five years old when he became king, and he reigned in Jerusalem twenty-nine years. His mother's name was Abijah daughter of Zechariah. 3 He did what was right in the eyes of the LORD, just as his father David had done. 4 He removed the high places, smashed the sacred stones and cut down the Asherah poles. He broke into pieces the bronze snake Moses had made, for up to that time the Israelites had been burning incense to it. (It was called Nehushtan. )

I would propose that your stance has put you very close to worshipping this version of the Bible much the way the Isrealites worshipped the bronze snake. Both had a purpose and use by God and both can become a stumbling block if they cause you to focus on them and not who they point to.

Joe

Athanasius

Nov 16, 1999
Hi petrek:

Let?s stay within the KJV itself and move away from the textual manuscript debate. Consider one Greek root word in the NT: ?hesuchia, hesuchios.?

It occurs five times in the NT: Acts 22:2, 2 Thessalonians 3:12, 1 Timothy 2:2, 1 Timothy 2:11-12, and 1 Peter 3:4.

If the exact same word must be translated the exact same way, please explain to me why a Greek idea meaning ?tranquility or peacefulness? is translated ?silence? when applied to women and ?peaceable? or ?quietness? when applied to men (see 1 Tim 2:11 for its use for women and 1 Tim 2:2 or 2 Thess 3:12 for its use on men).

Why did the KJV translators do this in a passage talking about a woman?s role in the church? Why are men told to be ?peaceable? and women ?silent? when it is the same Greek word? If women are never allowed to speak in the church, how could a woman pray or prophesy as Paul says they did?

Or consider the Greek word ?aidos.? Why is it translated ?shamefacedness? (1 Timothy 2:9) when applied to women and ?reverance? (Hebrews 12:28) when applied to men?

How could the infallible KJV do this? Could it be that the excessively, chauvinistically biased King James era influenced this deliberate translation of the same exact Greek words into different English words depending on whether men or women were being addressed?

And how has that false English rendering hindered an accurate understanding of God?s attitude towards women?

linuxboy

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
The Bible plainly tells us that witnesses that do not agree with each other are not witnessing truth (Mark 14: 55-56)

Hey :)

Well, you guys are really well informed, I hope I can keep up with the themes gathered from what appears to be years of inquiry. I got a PM (thanks :) ) from John here telling me I should take a look at this thread. And I am.

Let me say a few things on that passage you quoted Dave. What does it mean to say something? What does it mean to utter a word and have it be proclaimed as a truth? According to this passage, if people do not agree, then there is something amiss, something that has gone wrong. Does agreement rely on words? Or is agreement something that one does, some inclination of the entire person and some Spiritual discernment?
I'll get to these a tad later.

I've read the arguing back and forth and the assertions and I have to say I love all you guys here (Joe, Conrad, Dave, Rio, John, the other members). Time and time again, you've given me words that make me think, words that inspire, and words that redeem and show me You. But I read this and I am saddened because I see much pain and holding onto ideas and thoughts that separate and detract. Not to insinuate a valuation of words, but there are dynamics at play that want to confirm something, which may prevent receiving a gift or accepting another.

let me illustrate with an example:

One time, as I was discussing an issue, with a Russian friend, in Russian, using the approved translation he preferred (RBU, Moscow publication), I cross-referenced a passage with a KJV copy, a NRV copy, and a pocket copy of the Greek NT I had to look up words and discern original meaning. He saw that I was doing this and thought I was crazy, asking why I would look at other versions, seeing as how they come from academics and from liberals as opposed to the Word. The original translations by our union was approved by the leaders and should be used, as opposed to other versions. I didn't really know what to say. On the one hand, You were here, in these words, speaking to both of us. On the other hand, only one of those compilations seemed to be the right sort of stuff, all the others should be strayed away from since they are Satan's spawn. I didn't know what to say. I do not know what to do in a case like this.

I still don't. Dave, this example deviates from our situation since it dealt with multiple languages and there are cultural overtones that complcate matters: not so our current discussion. In this case, the argument is that the KJV is preferred as infallible in the English and really is God-inspired and that people were translating it with great care and thus couldn't have been in error. God has preserved the Word for generations, and this is what the preservation is. All the other stuff is tainted, and only one beacon lights the way so we may come to know You and have Your Kingdom- KJV.

There are parallels to be made, however. Dave, the biggest problem that comes about with rigid adherence is the biggest strength. It is knowing who the Redeemer is; it is knowing what exactly one has seen, one has heard, one has witnessed, and can testify to to oneself and the world. To know directly that I am Yours, Your child, can bring about what I personally think and feel to be the greatest joy and peace available to mankind. With great power comes great responsibility and the capacity to fall. Who can put Humpty-Dumpty back together again is he falls and breaks? This is why I cannot accept notions of infallibility or an absoluteness of divinely inspired or Spirit-breathed scripture as housed in one sort of version. I can look and trace historical roots to determine which words are accurate and which are not. I can spend many hours diminishing my already dimmed eyesight to learn words in great effort, diligence, and sincerity to come up with a system that works and that is true and accurate to my best knowledge. I think that this is what people who made translations like the KJV did, since I see real strength, real attention, and real healing that comes about by those who read that version. It is personally my preferred version but this does not mean I think it somehow does not come from fallible hands of humans or that it is the preserved Word, ex Deus, and that it alone has preserved the sort of message that was told by the Jew called Jesus of Nazareth and followed by a small group of devotees that has grown into what modern Christianity is.

This situation reminds me of the practice in early churches (100-250 CE) when there were lists of heresies and that each person was classified according to the heresy. We may be in danger of stepping into this here, let us watch ourselves, brothers (and I call you this knowing that you are my brothers, as you have identified yourselves as such in earlier times) so that we do not fall.

Dave, your position has real strength. To know a system one can follow, to be able to claim certainty and to have a codified knowledge others can use as the best system and to be able to preserve this continuity across generations, to pass down ideas and values to progeny makes for a very good thing indeed. Yet it also leads us down the path where the Word and ideas of infallability are made mine, where logical proofs occupy our discourse until we stubbornly cling to our own notions and definitions of things as they are without seeing You. A real danger exists here, since words can bind and claim certainty, while the point is that they are like angels that carry us toward You and allow us to see and explore the bounties that have been prepared.

For this reason, I cannot claim to know that one book is infallible or that it is absolutely something that is inspired and has been preserved for us today. I cannot do this because the moment I say I know something, I'm missing the point since someone will disagree with me. This now brings us to that curious passage you have cited.

I agree with everything. I also agree with nothing. What you say here, all of you, has truth. What has been said carries feeling and thought and I can reach out and understand my world a little better. I agree with it. I look again and I disagree with it, there are logical inconsistencies, facets unexplored, clinging to unreasonable and weaker positions, and words purported as one's own without the knowledge to back it up. Yet I agree, I see and I can understand, despite not having a level of education that can equal the years of study it has taken for you people to know what you know. But if we disagree, then how is that not witnessing the truth? There are no disagreements when we look to You. At that point, disagreements about things like this don't matter, because we no longer are saying. At such a point, we can look and we can say that what we think, what we have read, learned, and written, argued about, strived to know, is true but it is not the truth since it still leads to disagreement. If we disagree, then we are somehow not at truth.

I agree with everything Athanasius has said here. We agree. Are we then witnessing the truth? But wait, now Dave enters and we three no longer agree. It was true before, we had such joy sharing and knowing. What happened? Why do we not know tell the truth? We disagree. There is no truth, yet it is true, what each of us says. You have stumbled upon a gem of a passage, Dave. I still do not think what you say reasonably allows me to see You. It disagrees. We disagree. Since we do, what we say, all of us, is not the truth. There is truth. You are here.

We do need a system, there is something infallible left behind for us. It is not necessarily a book and Word/Logos cannot be a book, since we are made in Your image, imago Dei. To assert the infallibility of something created puts our restrictions on it, no matter how much we feel or think they are Your directions. A system is necessary, but we cannot start out with a foundation of division, that is not truth. I think that is the real meaning of that passage, not that nitpicking words in revisions of scriptures or writings one thinks matters.

Dave, in another thread I have yet to reply to, you said guys like Griffin are not "good guys" since they write something that I too feel and think has errors. Yet you claim they are not good guys because of this. There are many errors in what I write and think, such is my state. In all of our speech there are errors. Does that make a claim about who we are, based on what we say? We witness then to different things and disagree; that is not truth.

And if one does not take the Bible to be the literal and infallible word of God, I don't see how one can possibly understand what God is saying. That is undoubtably the cause of all this divergent theology, for when one gives up the belief that the Bible is the infallible, verbally inspired word of God one gives up the finality and absolute truth in regards to doctrine, reproof, correction and instruction in righteous that the Bible claims to be.

To know the Absolute is to know Truth. To know truth is to know that when witnesses do not disagree. What does it mean to disagree? Logical semantic values are devoid of emotional content, that is a meta and secondary issue. When I say I still am, I want to make some claim or other. Then I do not love. Then I say I am following and saying what Really Is, but miss the point that what really is, is You. He wanted to gather us like a bird, and we disagree. The spiritual man judges about spiritual things, not the logical. The logical man judges and is judged. What you say is true Dave, but if I take what I read to be your position, then I judge and that disagrees, thus cannot be Truth.

To close, let me say that so many problems exist in the world, and so much pain, that if we spend our time sticking to something we think is right and reading to make sure our positions are sound, it may just blind us. Likewise, if we have no system, our children will suffer since they are young, foolish, and cannot tell what actions lead to what. A proper solution does not lie in proving which side of this debate has the upper hand, since I think we each think our systems are right as it has taken us years and years to come to a solution. A proper solution, rather, begins with the fear of God (the beginning of wisdom) that in turn leads to the God that is love, the God who has died and given us life- You. Claiming and preaching something else except for the resurrected Christ gets us arguing with academics and about academic things learned by years of systematizing. I don't have the learning to argue with academics, they'll probably overpower me with complex examples and historical truisms. I don't think this is the point, though it is necessary since there must be some way to show people. If you claim that words and logical truths combined with semantic values show people, then I wish you well. I think the best way to show people is to lead them to see what things point to so they may taste and know, the system of which may be open to questioning and debate by academics. To say something is does not prevent from another thing from being.

Where witnesses disagree, there cannot be truth. What is this thing that wants to witness and disagree and how does Truth agree with everybody? I'd like to know. We disagree. What we say then cannot be truth.

Cheers ! :)

Polgara

Banned
Feb 1, 2002
:frown: Shame on all of you for ganging up on Dave (Petrek).

I think I'll take his side, but I wonder if he'll welcome help from me.;)

First of all, can anyone argue that God/g_d/g_ddess (leaving blanks out of respect for my reluctant ally) would want everyone to be able to read his book? I'll bet he does.

Ok then. If he wants all of us English speakers to be able to read it, he will see to it that it happens. Well, it sure seems like he did way back then. Why would God/g_d/g_ddess keep a wrong version around for hundreds of years?

All this talk about "well we found out this word really belongs over there", and "this word shouldn't be there at all", and "I guess God really does like women", sure seems to make God/g_d/g_ddess seem to be a wee little god, needing us to clean up his Divine Revelation.

Nothing says God like success! And the KJV succeeded for a really long time.

I think I'll buy me a KJV (do they still sell them?).

Sarah

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
I've tried my best to stay out of this thread. it is really difficult tho. to be honest I don't understand much of what i read in this thread. I guess i'm a bit simple that way.

In the beginning was the Word, the Word was with God and the Word was God. Now as I read it, that is not the KJV but Jesus Christ we're talking about. So i really have a hard time referring to Scripture as THE WORD, it is only a representation of the Word and it's a representation made by HUMAN hands and thus flawed. Only THE WORD is infallible.

Most attempts at understanding the way the Bible came to be seem to leave out the GOD element.

Petrek, in your opinion, the KJV is the ABSOLUTE and FINAL authority, I can't agree with that. There is a reason I call myself CHRISTIAN and not KJVIAN. The only ABSOLUTE and FINAL Authority is Jesus (and God depending on your views on the Trinity).

the problem the way I see it, those that want an Earthly ABSOLUTE and FINAL authority just don't have faith in the ability of GOD TO INTERACT with His people. If there is ONE THING and ONE THING ONLY that we can take from Scripture is the fact that GOD DOES INTERACT with his people. Relative to the WHOLE HISTORY of salvation from Creation till today, the BIBLE has really existed for a very short Period of time.

It is only recently in our attempts to categorize and store all forms of knowledge that we began to exalt Book Learning over Experiential Learning(here i'm referring to society in general btw). This emphasis has unfortunately rubbed off on the church. We try to make our Theological serminaries as SCIENTIFIC as possible. We follow the academic rules of Scholarship, etc etc. thinking that Mans effort means anything in the pursuit of knowledge of GOD.

I guess it's just my own personal viewpoint, but God has clearly shown me that it's ONLY THRU HIS effort that I can recieve any truth about HIM. I later find that I can confirm this truth thru the Bible, but it is HIS GUIDANCE.

so comes the question, what if your being mislead. my response is simple, do you really doubt God that much?

Maetryx

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2001
From the website http://www.av1611.org/:

<< The character of the textual changes is that of obvious errors. The frequency of the textual changes is sparse, occurring only once per three chapters. The chronology of the textual changes is early with about three fourths of them occurring within twenty-seven years of the first printing. All of these details establish the fact that there were no true revisions in the sense of updating the language or correcting translation errors. There were only editions which corrected early typographical errors. Our source of authority for the exact wording of the 1611 Authorized Version is not in the existing copies of the first printing. Our source of authority for the exact wording of our English Bible is in the preserving power of Almighty God. Just as God did not leave us the original autographs to fight and squabble over, so He did not see fit to leave us the proof copy of the translation. Our authority is in the hand of God as always. You can praise the Lord for that! >>

[emphasis mine]

In other words, it's authority stems from their dogmatic insistence, since they can't prove it. They emphasize that all revisions to the 1611 were really minor affairs, never going back to the manuscripts and re-evaluating the translation. So I guess they're convinced that the 1611 translation is infallible in its accuracy, spelling and printing errors notwithstanding. They're PROUD of the fact that the original translation has never been reevaluated. To them, it is the proof that the KJV is the Only inspired english translation.

That seems typical. KJV Only advocates use the lack of historic scholarship of their translation as the ultimate proof of its holiness.

linuxboy

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

Shame on all of you for ganging up on Dave (Petrek).

Hi Sarah. :)

Intellectuals are lonely old men with beards who spend time reading and writing coming out occasionally to participate in an argument. ;). It may not be so much of a matter of "ganging up" but rather of "ganging in".

I think I'll take his side, but I wonder if he'll welcome help from me.

First of all, can anyone argue that God/g_d/g_ddess (leaving blanks out of respect for my reluctant ally) would want everyone to be able to read his book? I'll bet he does.

Where is Elledan? ;)

Ok then. If he wants all of us English speakers to be able to read it, he will see to it that it happens. Well, it sure seems like he did way back then. Why would God/g_d/g_ddess keep a wrong version around for hundreds of years?

Perhaps it may be a matter of having evil in the world and sin-inspired writings, as I think Dave here has mentioned.

All this talk about "well we found out this word really belongs over there", and "this word shouldn't be there at all", and "I guess God really does like women", sure seems to make God/g_d/g_ddess seem to be a wee little god, needing us to clean up his Divine Revelation.

I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean here. Do you assume that there was one original book and that it has undergone revisions, thus diluting the original potency and that an Absolute would not require such humanly intervention? I don't follow how this supports your earlier claims.

If we use time as a measure of religion, then Zoroastrian ideas or Hindu ideas of an Absolute, or a personal Deity time back, with their respective texts, far longer than KJV. Would that mean that they are more successful?

I think nothing says God like God and creation. To use an arbitrary notion in order to encapsulate an Absolute opens us up for fallacy and straying away.

I think I'll buy me a KJV (do they still sell them?).

Sarah

Sure, this is America (assuming you are in the US) :D. I highly suggest you do, I daresay it's my favorite book. HeHe.

Hi PlatinumGold :)

I guess it's just my own personal viewpoint, but God has clearly shown me that it's ONLY THRU HIS effort that I can recieve any truth about HIM. I later find that I can confirm this truth thru the Bible, but it is HIS GUIDANCE.

so comes the question, what if your being mislead. my response is simple, do you really doubt God that much?

I don't think that theological point of a personal esoteric revelation is being debated as much as the idea that the KJV is the inspired Word in the English language, and the very best sort of words for us to use today. The point Dave makes is that sure, we are guided, but we must use a source that has proven to be accurate and for English peoples, this means the KJV since other versions are tainted.

My objection was that this may be true (KJV may be perfect, though I doubt that due to word selections and author/aulture bias), but that we cannot committ ourselves to the idea of having a logical system and using that system to think it is the only sort of thing that can be used as authority or source of epistemic knowledge. We need to maintain ties, since the Logos/Word points, but agreement is a matter of the entire being, not some subset of faculty of being. Preservation is important, but not the real point of knowing.

That seems typical. KJV Only advocates use the lack of historic scholarship of their translation as the ultimate proof of its holiness.

Hi :)

Your statement of "only" seems to be misleading since it discounts possibilities. Otherwise, you seem to be saying something similar to my objection (though I don't think it "advocates" as much as it can lead and has a greater danger of being pulled that way, thus causing disagreements). Namely, that a system is required and it should be explored fully to understand the facts involved in order to avoid having false beliefs. My addendum to this was that the source of authority cannot be contained within some scriptural dogma as much as it is in You. That point has already been made before and after my posts so sorry for the repetition.

Polgara

Banned
Feb 1, 2002
Intellectuals are lonely old men with beards who spend time reading and writing coming out occasionally to participate in an argument. . It may not be so much of a matter of "ganging up" but rather of "ganging in".

Linuxboy,
I like beards. Most men have weak chins. However, Jay Leno would be scary :Q When I talk of ganging up, I mean that Dave, being the lone warrior, is being hit with too many points to possibly respond to.

Where is Elledan?

Who/what is Elledan?

I think nothing says God like God and creation. To use an arbitrary notion in order to encapsulate an Absolute opens us up for fallacy and straying away.

OK, but where does monolingual little ol' me learn about God and creation? JohnnyReb (love that name) seems to think I need to learn Hebrew to know what God has to say.

Questions

1. Is there a reliable English Bible?

2. Which one?

3. Why that one?

4. Where was it the last 400 years, while my ancestors were crying out for reliable knowledge of God?

Sarah <== actually haven't been to church in years and have never read the Bible.

Maetryx

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2001

<< That seems typical. KJV Only advocates use the lack of historic scholarship of their translation as the ultimate proof of its holiness.
Your statement of "only" seems to be misleading since it discounts possibilities. Otherwise, you seem to be saying something similar to my objection (though I don't think it "advocates" as much as it can lead and has a greater danger of being pulled that way, thus causing disagreements). Namely, that a system is required and it should be explored fully to understand the facts involved in order to avoid having false beliefs. My addendum to this was that the source of authority cannot be contained within some scriptural dogma as much as it is in You. That point has already been made before and after my posts so sorry for the repetition.
>>

I think what happened here is that you didn't realize that "KJV Only advocates" is the noun of my sentence. I meant the advocaters-for-the-doctrine-of-KJV-being-the-only-infallible-english-translation... hereinafter refered to as Those Guys...

Those Guys use the lack of historic scholarship of their translation as the ultimate proof of its holiness. :cool:

Maetryx

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2001
The reason that Petrek is getting ganged up on is because he has chosen a lonely battle. The KJV-Only doctrine is totally bankrupt. Until Petrek put up his spirited argument here at AnandTech, I was totally unaware that ANY scholarly arguments could be made for it. He's represented his position the best it can be represented. It's just that he's wrong.

I've been going to church for over half my life, and I'm almost 31 years old. But more importantly I've taken 8 semesters of evening Bible College classes. There is no doubt in my mind that God providentially preserved his Word, The Holy Bible. There is also no doubt in my mind that that perservation is NOT embodied by the KJV, but by the presence of ancient manuscripts and Christian linguists.

That said, I think the KJV was an excellent translation in its day. But we don't speak that language anymore.

There are a body of sincere Christians that are refered to as fundamentalists. My mother, an uncle, some people that recently left my church and an earlier, lesser educated version of myself fit into that category. Fundamentalists have a "bucket of truth", in which they collect various dogmas, slogans, and shared experiences. Some elements of that bucket are:

6,000-10,000 year old universe
name it, claim it (doctrine of speaking wealth and other blessings into existence)
dinosaur fossils... God's practical joke on mankind
A cash offering to God will miraculously return to the giver 100-fold
pre-millenial rapture
You can be saved, and then lost, then re-saved, then lost
because of that you have to ask for forgiveness all the damn time
and if you jump off the WTC because you're on fire you go to hell because you can't properly ask forgiveness after you commit the sin of suicide
We're one of the King's Kids, and we deserve special blessings
Dungeons & Dragons and Proctor & Gamble are both Satanic
Rock & Roll makes demons come out of your speakers because of a secret witch ritual performed over the master recording
The Bible is not to Inform, the Bible is to Transform
The KJV is the only infallible english translation

Netopia

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Wait a minute! I consider myself a fundamentalist and I don't ascribe to most of what you list! How about fundatmentalist are "people who believe what the Bible says." In my book that would be much more accurate.

<< The reason that Petrek is getting ganged up on is because he has chosen a lonely battle. The KJV-Only doctrine is totally bankrupt. Until Petrek put up his spirited argument here at AnandTech, I was totally unaware that ANY scholarly arguments could be made for it. He's represented his position the best it can be represented. It's just that he's wrong. >>

I think that Petrek's reasons go deeper than simple conviction. I would wager that he goes to an extremely KJV centered congregation and would risk being ridiculed and even removed from the church if he were to espouse any other version as less than satanic in nature. I could be wrong.... but I'm guessing I'm not.

Joe

Mikelh

Dec 9, 2000
It's not the translation of the Word of God, but whether or not you're living according to the Word of God that matters!

Perfect the walk, then come on with the talk!

After years of being misled, I prefer the NASB and NKJV over the KJV. I made this decision after carefully studying the facts presented by James White and D.A. Carson.

Michael

Mikelh

Dec 9, 2000

<< I think that Petrek's reasons go deeper than simple conviction. I would wager that he goes to an extremely KJV centered congregation and would risk being ridiculed and even removed from the church if he were to espouse any other version as less than satanic in nature. I could be wrong.... but I'm guessing I'm not.

Joe
>>

That's most likely the case. My wife and I were abused by such a congregation of KJV only members.
The pastor refused to refute a comment made in Bible Study, "the NIV is surely the devils work". We surrendered our 6 years of service soon after his cowardly behavior.

Meanwhile, there are churches in the surrounding area that are raising up Christians by the thousands, offering Bible studies every night of the week, teaching and preaching the pure Doctrine of God, using the NIV as their Bible of choice.

It's sad when the KJV separates God's people.

Michael

Athanasius

Nov 16, 1999

<< Ok then. If he wants all of us English speakers to be able to read it, he will see to it that it happens. Well, it sure seems like he did way back then. Why would God/g_d/g_ddess keep a wrong version around for hundreds of years?

>>

I think you miss the point. I have already stated that I think that the KJV is the best English translation the world has ever seen. But it is a mistake to equate God's revelation of Himself with human efforts to translate the Bible. God's Word is obviously self-authenticating whether ther be a human translator of manuscripts or not. Furthermore, God's word is not limited to the Bible buts resonates in Creation and in us.

As Romans 10:8, 18 says:

<< But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach. . . But I say, Have they not heard? Yes verily, their sound went into all the earth, and their words unto the ends of the world. (KJV) >>

The "word" here is God's revelation of himself to all people. Verse 18 is a quote from Psalms about the testimony of the stars and creation to the glory of God.

What we are talking about here is translations of the Scriptures. I am not trying to bash the KJV. I will say it again: I think the KJV is the single best English translation the world has ever seen. I am simply pointing out that it is not infallible, that as a translation it is not a direct work of God, that at times in history God's people have not had the Scripture (even those saints to whom it was addressed originally in their own language. Yet God in no way fails in His promise to reveal Himself simply because humans lose the Scripture (as was the case in Josiah's day) or fail to trnaslate it perfectly (which is the case in every translation). To suggest that somehow God has failed to preserve His revelation of Himself if the KJV is not infallible is untenable.

Yet that is what petrek asserts, and says repeatedly that anyone who disagrees with him is somehow attacking God.

I agree with you that God does not need our defense.

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
athanasius

Ya, i guess i still have a problem with equating Scripture or THE Word with the Bible that we have today. throughout the History of Salvation you see God communicating to His people. Why all of a sudden do we limit His / Her Revelation just to the BIBLE? I guess that's my biggest problem with Petrek arguement. The making of the bible is a phenomenon Unique to the Modern ERA.

Maetryx

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2001
Netopia,
I would argue that you are an evangelical or conservative protestant. I'm not 100% certain on the definition of fundamentalist, but the people to which I have seen it applied are normally the dogmatic fellows with their 'bucket of truth' to which I refered.

Again, I think fundamentalists (as I use the term) are sincere, actual Christians (have a saving relationship with God). But they have unfortunately adopted a dogmatic culture and often give this dogma an equal standing with the Bible itself. They're hardly alone in this. The Reformation was born out of the same situation.

petrek

Apr 11, 2001
It's unfortunate we don't have emotion's signifying "concern", "meekness", or "humility" as I would undoubtably use them often.

"Dave, being the lone warrior, is being hit with too many points to possibly respond to."

Thanks, for your support in regards to this point. I made note of this issue in my first response to Anathasius, and I'm glad you took the time to point it out again. For, I think we can all agree that it is far easier to spread false and misleading statements than it is to show those statements to be such. In my haste (to respond to the questions posed by the others so as not to appear to be disinterested in standing up for my simple convictions on issues of doctrine)I inadvertantly misquoted Scripture on two occasions and will now openly correct those errors.

"not one jot or one tittle shall pass from the law till all be fulfilled" should have read, "one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled."

and "ALL scripture is given by inspiration of God and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, and for instruction in righteousness" 2 Timothy 3:16 should have read "ALL Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness" 2 Timothy 3:16, "ALL" capitalized by myself. (I will go ahead after this post and edit them for accuracy)

Why the concern, am I a legalist? NO, but the understood meaning of quotation marks implies a direct word for word quotation, and anything other than that is misleading the reader. I could have left out the quotation marks, or added "to paraphrase", but I did not, and so I was in error, and will now go ahead and correct those errors.

Dave

For future reference:

1) the addition of capitols to anything in quotations will be that of the poster unless otherwise noted.

2) the addition of commentary (denoted by brackets) will also be that of the poster unless otherwise noted.

Polgara

Banned
Feb 1, 2002
Hi Guys,
Feeling like a grasshopper among giants here.

Can someone (in 5 sentences or less ) tell me exactly what Dave is advocating, and what y'all are trying to disprove?

I think that I have read 6 or so different things here about the KJV Bible, but the blonde cells seem to be dominant today. I just really don't know exactly what the big deal is.:eek:

Sarah <-- aspiring Bible brainiac