KitGuru's false article: "Updated GTX590 BIOS rushed out to repair reputation"

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pcm81

Mar 11, 2011
Obviously no one here owns a computer and has experienced that when you get a hard restart crash your whole rig powers down then immediately attempts a restart.

Card fails. Kaboom system goes down, tries to restart, poof, another 590 up in smoke.

True, but then it should not be claimed that system restart before the smoke was a proof of custom bios being loaded on the card...

We cant say if card had moded bios or not, but the system restart is not proof of either possibility.

AnandThenMan

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2004
Nvidia is outright admitting there is a flaw in the design, even if they don't realize it.
Rest assured that GTX 590 operates reliably at default voltages, and our 267.84 launch drivers provide additional levels of protection.
If it's reliable, it doesn't need additional levels of protection.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Ken, does this mean you would rather be left in the FUD dark than to know the truth? Because that is the "signal" I'm getting from you. Would you just rather not know?

Nope....I have an open mind still :)

FUD is FUD no matter which side or team it comes from.

For the record I'm trying to help somebody get 590's up and running in quadfire in another forum....Can't be much help as I don't own any of them but just giving him the standard info on things a person needs to do when switching video cards. The common trouble shooting things that most of the time in the end fix the problems!

I'm waiting for 28nm before I'll consider an upgrade. I'm going into my next upgrade with no brand loyalty....Pure bang for the buck is the only way I shop!

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
This makes more sense when it comes to the video from that swedish site. The thing sparked when they rebooted the machine.

I don't think they rebooted the machine. I would imagine that when you have a major hardware component failure it would cause the entire system to crash. It looks like the card failed, the system crashed, and when the system attempted to reboot itself the damaged card threw sparks/smoke.

This has been my position on this from the beginning. We keep hearing, "there is no problem", but yet they keep giving end users additional levels of protection to mitigate a non-existent issue.

This is untrue guys.

Already asked, but can you be more specific? What exactly is untrue? We already know they've released a updated drivers that have supposedly fixed OCP and the latest have prevented any over volting. This has been confirmed by you in another thread here on AT.

wahdangun

Golden Member
Feb 3, 2011
To be fair to the FX5800. It was a letdown in every sense of the word but it never exploded. I cant ever recall a video card launch where like 40% of the reviewers cards couldn't even survive the benchmarking process.

yep so true, and to think about it, its more look like nvdia bumpgate fiasco they won't admit it until to late.

dust

Golden Member
Oct 13, 2008
Nvidia is outright admitting there is a flaw in the design, even if they don't realize it.

At this point I don't think they can do better than this. How to admit their flagship is nothing more than a turd? I mean, short of calling all the people reporting their dead cards imbeciles, oh wait!

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
fud isn't exactly reliable info typically, but I've never seen them actually make up a quote before. Looks like kitguru was just stretching the truth a bit on a slow news day.

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
NVIDIA's reference GTX 590 VBIOS on the production boards has not changed, and we have not provided a new VBIOS to AICs or end users for GTX 590.

Please notice the tense of the statement.

This spokesperson did not say they weren't going to change the BIOS of production cards, just that they haven't done so yet.

I'm not saying they will, I'm just saying pay very careful attention to the marketing folks.

AnandThenMan

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2004
If there's one thing Nvidia is good at, it's playing the blame game. Bumpgate, NV blamed bad cooling and a bunch of other nonsense until they had no choice but to issue a recall (there was never a proper fix issued).

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
There is no new reference VBIOS from NVIDIA for GTX 590 and the card will work reliably with the existing shipping VBIOS.

nanaki333

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2002
meh.. mine seems to be working fine *knock on wood*. i'll be much happier when someone makes an aftermarket cooler for it. 59C idle temps make me a little uncomfortable...

Stoneburner

Diamond Member
May 29, 2003
I'm not sure that Nvidia denying something makes the Kitguru article necessarily false. Corporations lie about these things all the time.

THe problem is that there are biased websites that like sensationalizing thing, then there are whorish websites that like sensationalizing things, then there are whorish biased websites that sensationalize things even further, so then you visit tech forums and you have biased people posting threads getting push back from biased people on the other side.

The TROOOF is the first casualty.

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
http://www.kitguru.net/components/g...-gtx590-bios-rushed-out-to-repair-reputation/

'Well, nVidia’s engineering squad have just completed work on a BIOS that is intended to prevent future GTX590 explosions. We will be watching nVidia to find out when it might be available and will let you know. It would be nice to get a clarification from nVidia about which customers could be affected by the ‘exploding card problem’ and whether it is necessary for all customers to update their BIOSes.
nVidia has also said that additional warranty problems relating to exploding GTX590 cards will be dealt with by the manufacturer who shipped you the card, rather than by nVidia itself. So the returns policy should be ‘Back to your local store, as per normal’.
nVidia has yet to make a statement regarding customers who want to return GTX590 cards because they are scared that there are safety issues. It’s a little bit of a grey area, so some clarification would be nice.'

First drivers, then sloppy users, now it's a bios issue... the debacle continues.

Owing to the fact the thread's OP is currently on vacation so they cannot voluntarily update their Thread-Title to reflect information that has recently been made available by Nvidia, I am editing the title based on the following Nvidia statement: (issued to FUDZilla)

In an effort to maintain responsible thread-titles which are neither misleading nor communicating misinformation the thread title will be changed.

Original Thread Title: [KitGuru] Nvidia changes position, cites faulty bios now for defective GTX 590 cards

Amended Thread Title: KitGuru's false article: "Updated GTX590 BIOS rushed out to repair reputation"

I will leave the original thread citation of KitGuru in place as there is value to the community in knowing the credibility of any given source. Kitguru's sensationalism of misleading information is relevant in this context, not to mention the needless hyperbole that was added to the thread-title by the OP.

The community expects and deserves responsible thread-titles. Intentionally crafting inflammatory, rhetoric-laden, thread titles is irresponsible and will not be tolerated.

It unfairly characterizes the cited source as well as unfairly prejudices the community to enter the thread with a pre-existing bias towards one another. This is not productive and it is a form of baiting that is not acceptable.

Idontcare
Super Moderator

All of this just reinforces in my mind how important it is to quote the source used in a thread title. Personally, I've never been to kitguru and didn't know how terrible they are; you know it's bad when fudzilla outs you for making s**t up! Anyway, now I know to take several grains of salt when looking at anything with "kitguru" in the title.

Dark Shroud

Golden Member
Mar 26, 2010
So a FUD article is now being used to claim another site's article is false. And Nvidia blames Asus.

This entire situtation is a load of garbage. Never mind the fact that as a company Asus has a much better track record than Nvidia.

At this point I ask why did Nvidia even bother to try a duel Fermi card? They knew the limits of what they could do with the hardware yet released the card anyway. That says many things about the company.

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
In a choice between believing a fudzilla article against a kitguru article, I would still have to choose neither.

Dark Shroud

Golden Member
Mar 26, 2010
In a choice between believing a fudzilla article against a kitguru article, I would still have to choose neither.

Exactly, then add to the fact that Nvidia isn't very honest themselves. If you don't pressure them & call them out Nvidia will lie to your face.