Review Kingston KC2500 - Great drive, horrible pricing

Ralfi

Aug 26, 2021
I was hoping for more replies here :sweatsmile:

Anyway, I was considering the 2TB version of the KC2500 to fill the last remaining M.2 slot on my B550 board (Already have a 1TB Kingston A2000 partitioned for the OS & Data).

Best price in Australia's $359, so I guess it's still very pricey as it was at release, especially considering the Gigabyte ASM2NE6200TTTD can be had for $409.

Can any owners comment on its performance after maybe using it for a while & having it fairly full?

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Decent specs, but I agree that money would be better spent on a PCIe gen 4 drive. Not worth it at that price.

Reactions: Ralfi

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I was thinking, "how do they justify these prices", and then, "Kingston is the Radio Shack of SSD brands, how do they stay in business", and then I remembered... they have retail B&M distribution through Staples, and probably OD and BestBuy. Given that consideration, those prices seem slightly less insane... slightly.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
Regarding the KC2500, it's a decent drive, but I still think the A2000 is better value. But it only goes to 1TB. If you just need value "bulk" NVMe storage, the 2TB WD SN550 is worth a look. I bought one and can't say I'm disappointed. What's more it's only got cheaper since.

"Kingston is the Radio Shack of SSD brands, how do they stay in business"

No idea. But they must be doing something right, since they've been around since '87.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I thought that was only the 1TB version? Of course, they'd certainly pull a stunt like that on other version in a heartbeat if there's a profit in it.
I think the 1TB version was just the first one they caught/confirmed.

From what I've seen, the NAND changes are on the entire SN550 product line. It sucks because they had arguably the best $/performance NVMe drive out there, and ruined that reputation (much like Adata did with their SX8200 PRO).

Unfortunately, it appears this is going to be a common practice among all SSD brands now since Adata, Samsung, WD, Crucial, and PNY all have been caught changing existing SSD components / and or altering the warranty over the last 6-12 months.

Ralfi

Aug 26, 2021
I think Kingston have avoided any criticism lately in regards to swapping components in their NVMe SSD’s?

I realise they were caught years ago for similar practices, but hopefully they’ve learnt from that now…

Ralfi

Aug 26, 2021
The 2TB version’s on sale for AU$329 (CAD$304).

I’m deciding whether to grab it….(delivery fee on top of that)…

What do we think - get it now, or wait for a further price drop?

What’s the typical price of the 2TB in Canada?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
The 2TB version’s on sale for AU$329 (CAD$304).

I’m deciding whether to grab it….(delivery fee on top of that)…

What do we think - get it now, or wait for a further price drop?
It's hard to say. SSD prices may continue to fall in price a bit, or they could go up in price depending on any number of factors (Covid related production shortages, power outage/disruption at NAND plant, political posturing, etc.).

I'd say if a drive is at a good price in your local market, and you need it, go ahead and grab one.

Reactions: Ralfi

Ralfi

Aug 26, 2021
It's hard to say. SSD prices may continue to fall in price a bit, or they could go up in price depending on any number of factors (Covid related production shortages, power outage/disruption at NAND plant, political posturing, etc.).

I'd say if a drive is at a good price in your local market, and you need it, go ahead and grab one.
Yeah I don’t really need it straight away. It’s tempting because it’ll speed up all my folders & move everything onto M.2 NVMe SSDs, & allow me to get rid of 1 x HDD, 1 x SATA SSD, 2 x SATA cables, 1 x power cable + the HDD cage.

I’m in a position where I can hold off. Being near end of year, I should be able to find one cheaper. Thanks.

Last edited: