Kingston HyperX Fury (MOAR RGB!!!) SSD Review

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
https://www.anandtech.com/show/13391/the-kingston-hyperx-fury-rgb-ssd-review

I wonder which executive(s) approved this mess of a SSD? Are we really at a point where people are not satisfied with their motherboard, RAM, PSU, case, fans, and GPUs glowing, and now they need a glowing SSD? o_O

When it comes to actual storage duties however, the Fury RGB is not as versatile, and the LED lighting itself is responsible for most of the drive's problems. The LED lighting on the Kingston HyperX Fury RGB SSD drives up the price of this SATA SSD to NVMe levels and draws enough power to make the drive more prone to overheating than almost any M.2 NVMe SSD out there.

Ultimately the HyperX Fury RGB seems to have been designed as a lighting solution first and an SSD second.

ao_ika_red

Golden Member
Aug 11, 2016
HyperX was supposed to be the byword of high performance parts, but nowadays I assume it's just LED on everything. But truth to be told, everything with LED is a hit in this part of the world. For example, people would pay for noisy, low cfm fan just because it's cheap and illuminated with 8 LEDs.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
LEDs should only be placed where they will be useful or needed. I hope this trend of putting LEDs in places where they not needed or even useful dies soon.

Reactions: ao_ika_red

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
remember i told you, bling has come to storage.

This is something that most likely Linus from Linus Tech probably asked for since he shills for kingston.
He is a RGB whore, you can hear him always say RGB RGB RGB, and he gets drop fed kingston ssd's left and right for everything even down to using them as cup coasters.

But yeah... sigh... i thought i had enough rgb's with my motherboard + ram + gpu + fans... what next? RGB on M.2's? sure why not... lets go for it....

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I had a friend tell me that the PC that I gave him kept overheating. Said the red "temp" (overheat) light kept coming on.

I was like, WTF, there's no temp overheat light in the ATX front-panel I/O specs (that I know of).

Turns out, it was the HDD LED. :p